Scandal Joel Smith (Melbourne): Cocaine trafficking accusation

Remove this Banner Ad

Trafficking Accusation:

MFC and AFL Statements:

Melbourne Football Club Media Statement – Joel Smith

The Melbourne Football Club has been advised by the AFL that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations have been asserted against Joel Smith by Sport Integrity Australia.

The Melbourne Football Club is not authorised to make public comment while this is an ongoing matter that is being investigated by Sport Integrity Australia.

It should be noted since the article has been published on the Herald Sun website, Joel’s management has contacted the Club on his behalf to advise that the comments made by the source within the article are not reflective of Joel’s views and the source is not speaking on any authority from Joel.

Joel has made it very clear that he has no issues or concerns with anyone at the Melbourne Football Club.

As the Club has previously stated, we will wait for the investigation to be completed before we update our supporters further.

AFL STATEMENT – JOEL SMITH

The AFL confirms that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs) have been asserted against Joel Smith of the Melbourne Football Club under the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code.

Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) has notified Smith that three ADRVs for “Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking” of Cocaine to third parties are asserted against him.

Under the Code, Trafficking in an anti-doping context is relevantly defined to be “Selling, giving, transporting, sending, delivering or distributing a Prohibited Substance, by an Athlete … to any third party [but] shall not include actions involving Prohibited Substances which are not prohibited in Out-of-Competition Testing unless the circumstances as a whole demonstrate such Prohibited Substances are not intended for genuine and legal therapeutic purposes or are intended to enhance sport performance” (Article 1 of the Code).

Further, SIA has notified Smith that an ADRV for Possession of a Prohibited Substance (Cocaine) on 9 September 2022 is asserted against him.

These ADRVs are in addition to that previously asserted against him (in connection with a sample provided by him after the match between Melbourne and Hawthorn on 20 August 2023 which tested positive to Cocaine and its metabolite, Benzoylecgonine).

Smith will continue to be provisionally suspended pending the finalisation of all of these matters, meaning he is not permitted to be part of Melbourne’s football program, including Melbourne’s pre-season training that is currently underway.

Under the Code, the new asserted ADRVs will be further investigated by SIA and these matters may ultimately be heard by an AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal in the coming months.

Due to the ongoing nature of the anti-doping process, the AFL and SIA are unable to make any further comment at this time.

Last edited:

Bartlett vindicated.

SEN just played the audio of the Simon Goodwin B and F speech where he goes on how good the culture is.

I'd swear he was slurring his words?

Last edited:
I don't understand how you do drugs with fellow employees.
My experience is that establishing trust with co-workers who did not enjoy blow is very difficult.

I'm not sold on this. Yeah reaction times and and hyper mood but I'd reckon the pure relentless running would give you a heart attack.
Yeah im nowhere near sold on it. You might feel like you're Leigh Matthews after a few lines but im pretty sure your reaction times and skill level would be horrendous

Always suspicious when I constantly hear the line "it's a big issue in society", as it's always thrown out from players and officials to justify it happening. I mean yeah, it is a big issue in society, but so is racism and sexism, yet there is a zero tolerance on them. Why should drugs get a pass?!

Always suspicious when I constantly hear the line "it's a big issue in society", as it's always thrown out from players and officials to justify it happening. I mean yeah, it is a big issue in society, but so is racism and sexism, yet there is a zero tolerance on them. Why should drugs get a pass?!
I don't think that means it's accepted. Just that it exists & they recognise that.

Because in 20 years time they will be legal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scariest part about all of this is we've seen it play out before at another team. For some of the players with that club, it ruined or impacted their life forever. Something needs to change across the board.
What a total over reaction. The difference here is just that some teams and players aren't smart enough to not get caught

I agree, aside from the law, these guys have more education than the average punter and sign off all sorts of things saying they wont do it.

Palming it off on "society" is lazy

Last edited:
Because you cant snort a line of racism or sexism to make you feel better

What I dont get is - How all these players seriously think its worth the risk?

Here you are, 18 yrs old and getting a chance to live your dreams. to get paid a squillion dollars to play the game you love, and not have to get a job or do anything else in order to pay your way .... all you have to do is not do drugs during the season!!!! You can have a bit of fun in the off season if thats your thing, but Feb - September you just need to behave

How f***ing hard is it?

Here you are, 18 yrs old and getting a chance to live your dreams. to get paid a squillion dollars to play the game you love, and not have to get a job or do anything else in order to pay your way .... all you have to do is not do drugs during the season!!!! You can have a bit of fun in the off season if thats your thing, but Feb - September you just need to behave

How f***ing hard is it?
Even more bizarre & idiotic when you're 27, your wife's about to give birth and your team is playing in finals.

What a total over reaction. The difference here is just that some teams and players aren't smart enough to not get caught
West Coast mid-2000s. Some got caught, some didn’t but that’s not the point. Point is that drug usage ruined players’ lives. Forget careers that some lost or didn’t reach potential in, there are blokes that dealt with addiction, mental health issues, had legal problems arise. Not a blow up at all.

How f***ing hard is it?
At 18 most come from school so don't know how good they've got it. Increase draft age to 21 and you'd see a big difference Imo

It is but it's also not that big an issue that some players did some lines. I don't get drug tested for work (I know some people do) so I often feel for young players that some casual drug use is way overplayed as a "culture problem" and players need to act as if it was a horrible sin, bow their heads in shame.
I mean I wish Joel Smith was my mate, he's probably a ripping fella. Because of the over dramatisation of the issue and scrutiny on players they have to pretend if caught that they will pay for their sins meanwhile the rest of us just see it as pretty normal behaviour.

How f***ing hard is it?
Because you're frequently exposed to it and so it would just seem acceptable and normal, so many would be getting away with it and it's a non-issue. It's only when someone's caught that everyone acts like it's a massive drama.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Joel Smith (Melbourne): Cocaine trafficking accusation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back