John Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see any reason that a potential top 4 side would want Anthony.

He struggles to get a kick against quality opponents and just would not merit a game in a serious finals campaign.

He was found out by Lake, Scarlett and Rutten in 09 and his career has gone backwards ever since.

he's never going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, biggest bag of 4 with his kicking skills is telling.

Low possession player who sometimes has sticky hands (living with Ryan Cook will do that) and a beautiful converter who has about 2 big brain snaps a game.

I can't see any reason that a potential top 4 side would want Anthony.

He struggles to get a kick against quality opponents and just would not merit a game in a serious finals campaign.

He was found out by Lake, Scarlett and Rutten in 09 and his career has gone backwards ever since.

21 year old kid was beaten by the 3 best FBs in the league in his first season as a FF.
I don't see why any side in the league would want him personally considering those damning facts.

Just on that, did Jarrod Grant get a kick in the final series?

he's never going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, biggest bag of 4 with his kicking skills is telling.

LOL. yeah but it's not like he only ever kicked 4 once is it?

He achieved his four-goal personal-best at six outings since his debut in the third round of 2008.

For for a back man thrown forward in a time of need...

in season 2009 with 50 goals from his 24 outings,

an average of better than 2 goals a game is pretty shabby I'm sure you agree.:rolleyes:

Not to mention 3 goals in an Elimination final in 2008.

Definitely has nothing to offer.....

21 year old kid was beaten by the 3 best FBs in the league in his first season as a FF.
I don't see why any side in the league would want him personally considering those damning facts.

I see it as Anthony being limited in his adaptability and being worked out by the opposition. His form dropped significantly after his first encounter with Brian Lake and his confidence appeared gone. I just don't see him as a significant contributor and Collingwood certainly improved without him.

But hey, it is just my opinion and one I expressed at the end of 09.

Just on that, did Jarrod Grant get a kick in the final series?
Separate issue but Grant was very disappointing in the finals. I think he has more talent but the acid is on him in 2011.

I see it as Anthony being limited in his adaptability and being worked out by the opposition. His form dropped significantly after his first encounter with Brian Lake and his confidence appeared gone. I just don't see him as a significant contributor and Collingwood certainly improved without him.

But hey, it is just my opinion and one I expressed at the end of 09.

Separate issue but Grant was very disappointing in the finals. I think he has more talent but the acid is on him in 2011.

I dont think it was just Brian Lake that was the cause of Anthony's demise in 2009. It was a goalpost that he crashed into, causing a nasty shoulder injury that required surgery. Combine that with the poor 2009 form of Travis Cloke, general poor form from the team late in the season, and end of year exhaustion that many young players suffer, his accuracy (which had disguised other weaknesses in his game) deserting him, all combining to become the reasons for his drop-off.

I guess at 22, it isn't to late to learn some new tricks and reinvent yourself.

No its not but you need to have the right attitude and be prepared to work hard on improving. Something he has struggled with. He is in the same category as Neagle and McKinley, forwards who look OK but lack the depth to their games to become regulars in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett was no great personality.
Your club will pick him if they think he'll help the cause.

True however Gary Ablett sr an Anthony are hardly comparable. Also Ablett would have stuggled in todays game. Not as a player of course, but with all the media, trainning an everything. He would not have been able to handle it an would have quit footy like Nathen did.

Remove this Banner Ad

John Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

Back