Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing I noticed at the ground in Q1...despite English and one of the Dogs' tall defenders playing spare while we had the ball, they would counterattack and then suddenly have two spare forwards unmarked by us. How does that happen consistently? It's baffling to watch week in week out along with the slow starts.

that happened both in attack and defence - and was a product of them not trying to go through us but over - they got the ball forward at first opportunity every time - we very very often rely on the backwards handball and they were waiting on that

Another thing I noticed at the ground in Q1...despite English and one of the Dogs' tall defenders playing spare while we had the ball, they would counterattack and then suddenly have two spare forwards unmarked by us. How does that happen consistently? It's baffling to watch week in week out along with the slow starts.
Work rate

One thing that annoys me about Horse is his continual playing of players who are either underdone or carrying a slight injury.

Look at Hayward on the weekend, the week before he does something to his ankle and he's in the side the next week because we're desperate and need goals up forward.

We never manage our years well, and by the end, all the players are completely cooked come the GF.

Why would we not just take him out this week and play Cleary in that role? Or move Heeney permanently forward and play Parker permanently mid this week?

Can't keep trying to carry blokes just because we're desperate for wins. It's gonna cost us in the end.

One thing that annoys me about Horse is his continual playing of players who are either underdone or carrying a slight injury.

Look at Hayward on the weekend, the week before he does something to his ankle and he's in the side the next week because we're desperate and need goals up forward.

We never manage our years well, and by the end, all the players are completely cooked come the GF.

Why would we not just take him out this week and play Cleary in that role? Or move Heeney permanently forward and play Parker permanently mid this week?

Can't keep trying to carry blokes just because we're desperate for wins. It's gonna cost us in the end.

It's the only thing I don't like about his coaching.

I am trying to keep an open mind to see how it all plays out, but I am really worried that we are going to look back on this post bye period and think we totally wasted the incredible position we found ourselves in by not managing the squad better.

You can go way back to 2016 and the above post would be valid since then we have likely overturned many doctors/trainers etc but the common dominator is we keep managing our players poorly so i assume John has a big say in weither xxxx player takes the field.

Hayward actually came back on the field which was bewildering i thought i dont know how many remember but Hanners in 2014 did his ankle against Port and came back on to the field and played for another quarter and went back off again.. (resulted in a 8 week syndesmosis injury).

Reid decision in 2022 has been done to death so wont go into detail but it has to be the worst call to play in a GF i can remember.

It's the only thing I don't like about his coaching.

I am trying to keep an open mind to see how it all plays out, but I am really worried that we are going to look back on this post bye period and think we totally wasted the incredible position we found ourselves in by not managing the squad better.
Totally agree.

As much as I can't stand Geelong, the way they managed their players in 2022 was the reason they won that GF.

Albeit we were shocking on the day, they looked so much fresher than our blokes going into that game.

Totally agree.

As much as I can't stand Geelong, the way they managed their players in 2022 was the reason they won that GF.

Albeit we were shocking on the day, they looked so much fresher than our blokes going into that game.

Well it also helps they had a very easy final series compared to us AND also helps not playing a player who had to be subbed out before HT :p

haha yeah very true!

Playing Reid that day...what a shocking call that was.

Even Horse conceded that the other day
Have huge respect for JL but we played Mills and McVeigh in 2016 when we shouln't have. Obviously Reid in 2022. About the only black mark I have against him. We got monstered physically by the Cats who were way more mature . Better if Pies had beaten us in Prelim despite how sweet that win was.

Another disastrous start against Port, slow coach just doesn’t have the nous to do anything about it

We’re not going to win a premiership with him in charge

Wonder if the happy clappers are starting to see the reality

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm usually pretty positive about Horse, but I still think there's a side here, and I don't think Horse is winning the premiership. I want him gone asap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back