Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont bag horse... he is never wrong....
Old negative defensive Horse comes back when we desperately needed him to play positive & agressive...

Pick Francis in the wet.

Put Mills in defence when our midfield is getting pumped?

... Is it 2013 again? 2015? 2017?

Just like my opinion on him... time for a change. Transition him out next year. That's it. Had enpugh of the same mistakes over & over again... How hard is it to look at the conditions, the opponent, then pick accordingly? You aren't a genius picking another slow tall against a side we're already taller than in the wet Horse... Your loss.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Old negative defensive Horse comes back when we desperately needed him to play positive & agressive...

Pick Francis in the wet.

Put Mills in defence when our midfield is getting pumped?

... Is it 2013 again? 2015? 2017?

Just like my opinion on him... time for a change. Transition him out next year. That's it. Had enpugh of the same mistakes over & over again... How hard is it to look at the conditions, the opponent, then pick accordingly? You aren't a genius picking another slow tall against a side we're already taller than in the wet Horse... Your loss.
At least don't keep playing a clearly finished & battling ruckman in Hickey.
His first action in a contest is to take his eyes off the ball & look at his opponent. Very luck not to hand Nankervis a handful of frees.

He is cooked.
Buddy tried hard & will need another 3 or 4 weeks rest before a final game at tbe SCG.
Well done Bud. The body can't keep up with the mind but it was still ahead of some of our blokes out there.
I hope every player carried out the task Horse assigned to them.

Look, we've had bad luck this year, no doubt about that. But it's been a lot more than bad luck. A lot needs to change between now and 2024. Whether it's Horse gone or those around him, we are going nowhere fast if we keep with the current game plan.

However, I will still maintain the statement I made after the 2016 GF, I don't believe that Horse will win another GF.

Look, we've had bad luck this year, no doubt about that. But it's been a lot more than bad luck. A lot needs to change between now and 2024. Whether it's Horse gone or those around him, we are going nowhere fast if we keep with the current game plan.

However, I will still maintain the statement I made after the 2016 GF, I don't believe that Horse will win another GF.

So what game plan should we switch to and what coach will win us a GF?

So what game plan should we switch to and what coach will win us a GF?
I don't know I'm not the expert. But there are others out there. This is the argument I hate. Look at some of the premiership coaches of the last 10 years, how many of them had won a GF before being hired. That's why you do a due diligence process and find the right one. But the fact is, right now, things aren't working, and something needs to change. Change isn't always good, but I think it needs to be this time

I don't know I'm not the expert. But there are others out there. This is the argument I hate. Look at some of the premiership coaches of the last 10 years, how many of them had won a GF before being hired. That's why you do a due diligence process and find the right one. But the fact is, right now, things aren't working, and something needs to change. Change isn't always good, but I think it needs to be this time

We made a GF last year (ahead of schedule) and lost badly. If we had not made the GF last year people wouldn't actually be so down on how we are performing this year.

Our key players last year - Franklin, Heeney, Hickey, Reid, Papley, Mills, Warner, McCartin x2 have either been injured or their form has dropped off dramatically (in Franklin/Hickey's case it is age related).

There are so many examples of teams suffering bad seasons/results before winning titles and winning without sacking head coaches.
Melbourne came from outside the 8 to win title in 21
Geelong came from losing by over 80 points in elimination final in 21 to win in 22.
West Coast lost the 2017 semi-final by nearly 70 points and won in 2018 and fell off the cliff
Bulldogs were gifted the 2016 final and struggled since.
Richmond came from 13th in 2016 to win in 2017 including losing by 113 points to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Horse, don't think he should be sacked, very glad he's staying on but oh my god

Trying to be restrained here but there's so much I don't like atm.

His presser was classic Horse deflection. The journos are a joke - fancy not asking why Horse moved their best mid to defence, and why he stacked the team with talls.

It is also evident Horse doesn't reflect on his own decisions.
It's john's way or no way unfortunately.

I really can't stand when he goes ultra defensive. Sport is as much a mental exercise as it is about talent. We have some exceptionally offensive minded players and it should be our strength. When John goes ultra defensive , it's sending a message that the players can't get it done and he's taking over . I'm not saying to never go defensive but he does go to early and for far too long. Any defensive moves like mills down back should only be long enough to stop a teams momentum and then switch back to offense. Let the players play to their strengths

It's john's way or no way unfortunately.

I really can't stand when he goes ultra defensive. Sport is as much a mental exercise as it is about talent. We have some exceptionally offensive minded players and it should be our strength. When John goes ultra defensive , it's sending a message that the players can't get it done and he's taking over . I'm not saying to never go defensive but he does go to early and for far too long. Any defensive moves like mills down back should only be long enough to stop a teams momentum and then switch back to offense. Let the players play to their strengths
As much as I agree that we should stick to our strengths and not go defensive, I'm curious what would actually happen if we didn't go defensive. Would we really have too much firepower carving up the middle of the ground to eventually run away easy winners, or would it be to our detriment? The one thing that makes me doubt whether we are all right about this is that fact that when the opposition starts getting ontop, at that moment we aren't actually defensive. Richmond starting picking us apart between the centre circle and defensive 50 way before mills or gulden were told to go back.

We all like to believe we'd just keep scoring if stayed attacking, but on the flip side it could've turned into a 10 goal loss keeping it that way. Who knows.

Imo it's purely down to losing midfield dominance which is when we start flailing, and I don't think that's a coaching issue, it's between the ears. A good coach has to do something to halt the opposition momentum otherwise he'd cop it for not doing anything about it. Damned if you damned if you don't. Richmond figured out how to get numbers at the fall of the contest 50 out, so we needed to stick mills where it was dropping. Can't sit on your hands at expect it to just work itself out. The opp adjusted to our early ascendancy by figuring out a weakness they could exploit, it's not that we dropped off. At that point you also have to adjust, that's the way footy works, constant adjustments, it's not just plan A and that's it.

Last edited:
His presser was classic Horse deflection. The journos are a joke - fancy not asking why Horse moved their best mid to defence, and why he stacked the team with talls.
To be fair, press conferences aren't usually very informative, regardless of the coach.

But it surely wasn't too hard to ask "Horse, can you explain some of the reasoning behind a KPP as sub, given the lack of opposing matchups and in the wet, which led to using Mills down back and McCartin up forward for the first time since before Covid, while your team was outrun and out scrapped at ground level? And do you think that gave the Tigers an unnecessary advantage?"

Of course, that journo wouldn't be spoken to again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back