Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

The saddest thing was when Cameron simply lent on Logan in a contested marking situation and he literally folded under. He had no idea how to contest it and certainly not the strength to body Darcy aside.
He was ok as a spare tall, but once a contest came in he wasn't able to hold his own.

The concerning part was Hamling was brought in as defensive depth but Horse refuses to play him.

Big gap between Beatson and Horse at times in who they rate

The guy can't win. Get's criticised for being too complacent and not trying anything different, yet the second he makes a couple of out of the box moves everyone loses their minds.

When he throws the magnets around a bit in the last quarter and it works it's suddenly an admission of guilt that he got all his match ups wrong for the other 3 quarters.

I admit I'm losing some patience with him but at least he's trying things to get us out of this slump.

The guy can't win. Get's criticised for being too complacent and not trying anything different, yet the second he makes a couple of out of the box moves everyone loses their minds.

When he throws the magnets around a bit in the last quarter and it works it's suddenly an admission of guilt that he got all his match ups wrong for the other 3 quarters.

I admit I'm losing some patience with him but at least he's trying things to get us out of this slump.

Coached his arse off last night. That doesn't mean every move was a winner, but he wasn't going to die wondering.
Yep - my sentiment too.

I think the coaches cop it for alot. I'm equally frustrated when he picks yet another tall as sub in the wet or when he refuses to shift things around out of what seems a stubborn believe it will just turn by itself (but doesn't).

Last night he had the right sub. He brought him on at juuuuuust the right time (maybe a little late). He shifted things around all night. Tried a few things. Was passionite but professional. The group all looked "together" & most of the boys mentioned how close they all are. Off tge field I think we have the best coaches. It's game day & selection where there are often issues... They did well last night. Let's hope they continue to improve out of this slump & peak come finals as I'm hoping we will...

I'm not in the sack Horse camp, but if "out of the box" includes moving Logan forward and Parker into the mids, I'm a bit confused.

He is trying things so it is not always going to work. I think Logan in defence was part of trying 2 talls in the forward line plus Parker instead of the usual 3 tall forwards.

I think moving Florent upfield worked and provided some great attacking moments late in the game. I am still not sure about Fox playing as a forward.

By out of the box I was referring to Logan starting in defence, Florent wing etc
Fair enough. Though Logan in defence was unnecessary and for the most part he doesn't look that comfortable or good down there.

I'm hoping it's not another Hewett or JPK down back thing where he persists with it regardless.

I think like some said a bit of defence might shape Logan , he can go back late. But the forward line was better when he went back there .

Horse showed his strength last night , which it always has been imo, the man management. He backs them in, they love him , he preaches effort etc.

Yep he moved some magnets, but a lot of it is because he backs the team and is reluctant to bring a replacement in.

I don't know sometimes i'll pack his bags for him and have whinged my **** off. But then I see the spirit like last night and also watch a presser, which reminds me that at the very least he is just a good person, unlike other coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think like some said a bit of defence might shape Logan , he can go back late. But the forward line was better when he went back there .

Horse showed his strength last night , which it always has been imo, the man management. He backs them in, they love him , he preaches effort etc.

Yep he moved some magnets, but a lot of it is because he backs the team and is reluctant to bring a replacement in.

I don't know sometimes i'll pack his bags for him and have whinged my **** off. But then I see the spirit like last night and also watch a presser, which reminds me that at the very least he is just a good person, unlike other coaches.
He is an outstanding individual with a great temperament. Outstanding leader.

I understand the idea of playing McDonald behind the ball was to ensure that we weren't oversized at one end and under at the other, but of the three talls he's definitely been the most consistent this season, and there's not a great deal of use in sureing up the back end if our talls at the other have little to no impact.

But, at least he was trying something, even if its just copying Bevo's notes..

I think that watching at the game or on TV, we forget how much of the game is 'set plays'...

If you want a bit of an eye-opener, see TheMase's post in the autopsy thread today. Gulden's goal is the result of a set play, perfected by the coaching staff, and implemented to perfection by the players involved...

I'll bet when they lose belief, plays like that are almost impossible to pull off... but then he lifts them, exhorts them to believe in themselves and their ability, and they execute to perfection.

Easy to blame the coach... and last week was a shocker! But I really do think that horse and his team will give this team every opportunity to win the GF!

He was ok as a spare tall, but once a contest came in he wasn't able to hold his own.

The concerning part was Hamling was brought in as defensive depth but Horse refuses to play him.

Big gap between Beatson and Horse at times in who they rate
Perhaps, but I also wondered about what development Logan was getting. His position was all wrong whether for a forward or a back.

Low bar then. Not new roles for those players
Playing key defence isn't a new role for Logan? He got swung back there a couple of times in recent weeks but I don't recall him starting there or playing most of a game there.

Maybe you weren't surprised enough by the move to consider it out of the box but I think most were

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back