Jonathan Giles

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see it that way, someone may say different but I see Giles as being very similar to Jacobs. He be an excellent back up but I don't think you would want both in the same side. It would be similar to the problems North Melbourne had with their 2 ruckman

Have to agree. Seems to me Giles is a similar style player to Jacobs. Both tap rucks who can go forward and kick a goal. Giles is a pretty good mark and will make a decent forward...however I don't think Jacobs needs another number 1 ruck in the side...I think he benefits from the workload. That said, Giles is a quality player and I think will be quite versatile in any role he is given.

Giles's strengths are his running and his marking. He's actually a pretty good kick on goal but he lacks the confidence - he'll often take a punt on a pass than go for goal, even though he may score it. He'd need a fair bit of mental work to be a solid backup ruckman, the type who spends most of their time forward. He's really set up as a full time ruckman where he can use his endurance and speed to work over the opposition. After all this guy scored a couple of great run-down tackles last year. Anyone looking at him as a backup might be disappointed in the long term.

Don't see it that way, someone may say different but I see Giles as being very similar to Jacobs. He be an excellent back up but I don't think you would want both in the same side. It would be similar to the problems North Melbourne had with their 2 ruckman

Fair enough. I havent seen a huge amount of Giles but I thought he could go forward also?

Multiple goal scorer several times through the year in a side that was pumped.

Just seems silly on both fronts for him to go to Adelaide.
He goes down the pecking order from #1 at GWS to #2 at AFC.
For them they have a better forward option in Johnston and Jenkins so he is really wasted. (not saying the are better players but better as forwards).

Can see Adelaide going after him as a ack up but he's past that in his career. If he's homesick fine, but this isn't the homesick type, plus he'd be #1 ruck next door.

Doesn't make sense to go to Adelaide. Tipping a Vic team with a ruck need.

watched giles play all home games live,& the balance on tv after ward he was giants best player. cant really beleive how they have not signed him up. if hawthorn want a gaol kicking ruckman at a reasonable cost they should chase him. also collingwood & geelong could use.

i dont no but their not offering him much money so a big bodied player not in your best 25.

We got some decent VFL players after just winning the VFL Grand Final. None of our midfielders are big but we've got a few KP forwards.

Dawson Simpson. Had some back issues but managed to get fit and play some AFL.
Josh Walker is a big lad for 20 y/o, a KP forward with a strong hands.
Mitch Brown has talent but is skinny
Trent West might be handy as a mature ruckmen who still got plenty of football in him
Jordan Schroeder looks decent but still very young.

We pretty much played everyone this year so all have at least a game or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this originally as well, but remember, Giles is a good big strong mark, and is handy in front of goals. He kicked 18 last year in the lowest-scoring, worst team in the competition (which makes you think how scary Jeremy Cameron will be). Of course has equal weight as a ruckman, and yes, it is hard seeing him take any ruckwork away from Sam Jacobs, but if he needs to for any reason, he's more than capable

watched giles play all home games live,& the balance on tv after ward he was giants best player. cant really beleive how they have not signed him up. if hawthorn want a gaol kicking ruckman at a reasonable cost they should chase him. also collingwood & geelong could use.
Hawthorn have who Giles will become (but better) in David Hale. Cats could use him but they're already getting McIntosh. As for the Pies, he'd b a great fit. He can become their no. 1 ruckman, and can allow Jolly to go forward. Or they could always switch it up

Cannot believe the Giants can't just give him the extra money he wants, surely they have the cap space. I could see the Hawks offering there first round pick and a fringe player for him, they have Bailey but he has had a lot of injuries and he could go down again any minute.

Cannot believe the Giants can't just give him the extra money he wants, surely they have the cap space. I could see the Hawks offering there first round pick and a fringe player for him, they have Bailey but he has had a lot of injuries and he could go down again any minute.

It's mainly over contract length apparently. Giles wants four years. GWS wants two years with an option for a third. The dollars on offer and requested aren't hugely different.

Who do you follow - Essendon or the Giants?

How is "us " the Giants when your profile says you follow Essendon.
Essendon fan, living in Sydney. Giants and Swans are my second teams-but we're getting off topic now

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Giles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back