Hawkflag

Senior List
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Green & Gold & Blue Cross
Ok so he's highly rated. Got picked up 2nd in the draft and GWS risked him by getting him to move state. Again, highly rated so they took a gamble.

Then he did his hammies (did a hammie before getting drafted as well). Broke a jaw. Did nothing in the two years with the Giants.

Now we have him. I hope he comes good cos with the impending retirements of Hodge, Mitchell and Burgers we need someone to fill the hole in the midfield. He's 22 years old I know, but Sydney seems to have a few youngsters that go and look bulky as well.

What I see is this: raking kick, good composure, a staright kick for goal, a thinker, physically needs to bulk up, still young, needs confidence.

If he comes good and we get O'Meara then we have Cyril, Breust, Smith, Hill and others to continue on and build a team.

But does anyone rate this guy? And why?

NB I've edited my original post as I felt it was unfair and simply I don't know much about him yet.

Last edited:
Ok so he's highly rated. Got picked up 2nd in the draft and GWS risked him by getting him to move state. Again, highly rated so they took a gamble.

Then he did his hammies (did a hammie before getting drafted as well). Broke a jaw. Did nothing in the two years with the Giants.

Now we have him. I hope he comes good cos with the impending retirements of Hodge, Mitchell and Burgers we need someone to fill the hole in the midfield. But what I've seen of him I just haven't seen anything flash. In fact, I just can't see much at all. He's 22 years old I know, but Sydney seems to have a few youngsters that go and look bulky as well.

If he comes good and we get O'Meara then we have Cyril, Breust, Smith, Hill and others to continue on and build a team.

But does anyone rate this guy? And I'm happy to be dead wrong but I just can't see it.

I think we seen the tip of the iceberg in regards to composure last night.

Unfortunately sometimes it just takes time. Wait until he has 70 games under his belt and reassess

He did what he had to do, showed composure.

Winning more of the ball is now key for him.

I think he has it in him to play the next Whitecross type role, maybe more if he shows those qualities which had him marked as a top 5 pick

Now we have him. I hope he comes good cos with the impending retirements of Hodge, Mitchell and Burgers we need someone to fill the hole in the midfield. But what I've seen of him I just haven't seen anything flash. In fact, I just can't see much at all. He's 22 years old I know, but Sydney seems to have a few youngsters that go and look bulky as well.

But does anyone rate this guy? And I'm happy to be dead wrong but I just can't see it.

I just want to repeat. At the end of 2015 was his first proper pre-season where he has got through. Give him some time. Allow him to grow.

I thought he showed quite a bit last night.

Ive seen him play a few games at vfl and afl level. The thing i like about him are:
1. He does the little things well tap the ball on to advantage, good shepherds, not afraid of the contest.
2. He gets into the right spot quite a bit on the outside for example going down the right side of the wing he was free in the centre. Just wasn't loud enough to get the attention. If he could get more of an on field presence it will enable to get more of the ball on the outside because he reads the ball/play well.
3. Quick hands. Hands are great in tight situations hits the target more often than not.
4. Can actually stick a tackle and take big hits.
5. Reads ball well off the pack, seems to know where the ball is going to land and is pretty good on knowing when to jump or stay down.
6. Kicking skills i would say is 65-70%. which is good enough for the hawks. Knows when to also just kick it long and gain metres out of congestion which i like personally.
7. Can holds marks.
8. He does have nice moves with the footy side step and good hip movement. just his speed isn't top quality. But more preseasons will improve this.

We're quick to write players off around these parts. If it isn't JOR, it's Hill, or Hartung, or Howe, or Duryea, or Litherland, or...
litherland is done. thats one of the young players i see not being in the team. i thought he was ahead of whiteX but prefer him now

Wish we could trade out big footy supporters. Since 2001 + 2nd round pick for JOM
Funny. Its just how i see it. bigfooty is based on opinions and different views. don't need your bs.
WhiteX has gone ahead now and litherland is way behind the pace. i was a supporter of his when people weren't. but there is only so much you can take before you can't stand up for him anymore.

Dropping O'Rourke after a bad game won't do his confidence any good. If feel like he needs 5-10 games in a row in the side to find his feet at AFL level.

Do you think we are in the right time and place for this approach?
Were trying to achieve even more crazy historical stuff right NOW......I'd take a 4th cup and no future for JOR than no cup and watch over the next season or two to see if he can develop into a B+ mid.

Like Stewart, Lovell and even Woody more than JOR.
As a utility, WhiteX looks to have him covered after 1 game back from years of misfortune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny. Its just how i see it. bigfooty is based on opinions and different views. don't need your bs.
WhiteX has gone ahead now and litherland is way behind the pace. i was a supporter of his when people weren't. but there is only so much you can take before you can't stand up for him anymore.

Howe shows a lot more promise than Litherland

People forget that hodge had very low possessions in his first 4-5 seasons because of his op and inability to do full pre-seasons. I think orourke is in the same category. Really think that at this stage that his tank is limited and he is unable to get more contests. Personally I think that he has great poise above average kicking skills, and a realiable set shot at goal. I like him a lot, the key is his tank which I I'm sure we can build up. Just hope that he gets some continuity in his games this year and beyond.

And I'm entitled to my opinion too princess. So settled down. Whilst he may not be living up to your expectations, I'm glad these expectation aren't being shared by the selection committee.

Still don't think we can judge him on exposed form. Would be great to get a (deserved) extended run in the seniors. Thursday was first game back after only playing a ?half in the VFL the week previously.

Long way off being a star currently. No outstanding features in his game.

And I'm entitled to my opinion too princess. So settled down.

ok.

Just remember to discuss the opinion, not by saying you wish the poster was gone.

Makes for a more harmonious atmosphere among fellow hawk supporters; we try to be a community here...

I don't see it.
Clearly we traded for him based on his under 18 profile, but he will never live up to the expectations that come with being pick 2.
Just seems to be ok at some things, nothing more.
If he can carve out a career playing a role and getting consistent games he will have done well.

It was one game. What was asked of Weiss was very different to what was asked of Gus. Add to that the 69 games of experience Swiss has on Gus and it's not a fair comparison.

People forget that hodge had very low possessions in his first 4-5 seasons because of his op and inability to do full pre-seasons. I think orourke is in the same category. Really think that at this stage that his tank is limited and he is unable to get more contests. Personally I think that he has great poise above average kicking skills, and a realiable set shot at goal. I like him a lot, the key is his tank which I I'm sure we can build up. Just hope that he gets some continuity in his games this year and beyond.
His tank is one of his biggest assets, he's a good runner and a very good kick, quick hands and I think a decent footy brain. Defensively he has some learning to do, he could be more explosive and I think he still needs to adapt to the pace of senior footy.
He has the tools to make it will come down to temperament and whether his body holds up

Hasn't the JOR question/threads been done time and again? Why are we making a thread about the kid after he put in a solid game. He is only playing 70-75% of games on the field, in comparison guys like Mitch and Burger and Lewis play 85-90%.

He had 6 contested possession out of his 12, he kicked a vital goal under immense pressure and had 3 clearances.

With another 20 games under his belt, playing 85-90% of games were going to see a guy who is vital winning clearances and getting the footy 20+ times a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back