Jones amonsgt the best but not according to Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

SunburyRules

Draftee
Jul 1, 2007
Sunbury
AFL Club
Hawthorn
According to the "Rankings" Nathan Jones was ranked 3rd last overall with a measly 29 points but the media had him in top 3 on the ground - go figure !

Bet all you dreamteamers and supercoach junkies with the gun Jonesy in their team can't be happy about this.

Just think frees agst are sometimes harshly marked and out of context - watched the game and although he had some bad turnovers early, just put that down to experience of a 19 yo in his 2nd year.

I assume Pendelbury, Thomas and co were all clean and never caught.

How many 19 year olds are probably leading in B&F (which I admit would not be hard for sorry Dees). I'd have him at the Hawks in a flash and is smokey for Rising Star and if it wasn't for the freak of footy, Selwood then,,,,,

If a few more showed same G&D at Melbourne, they may have won a few more games !

got caught in possession too much and turned the ball over...im guessing the media gave him votes based on his g&d just lacked that bit of polish

Pretty much spot on. Was surprised to hear he was rated in best (although shouldn't be going on history of the commentators) as he had a few clangers and was caught with the ball several times. (hence the free kick count against him.

IMO, He will be a fantastic player for years to come however just had a night where he wasn't quite on song.

He was terrible and I'm glad he played. The commentators fell into the trap of "he was near the ball a lot so he must have been good". But he turned it over a lot, he did some stupid mistakes and was generally ineffective.

He was better than 80% of your players.

We have the comps , Super Coach and Dream Team and all they go on is stats and who is in or out of the team . They were going to do hard ball get etc etc and honestly the comps are weak as they dont take any of that into consideration.
Rankings are a waste of time as you and i can see who is doing their job and thats what counts .rankings are only what is fed into the computer .
Some of the players in the All Australian Team for 2006 were not " ranked " highly at all .

According to the "Rankings" Nathan Jones was ranked 3rd last overall with a measly 29 points but the media had him in top 3 on the ground - go figure !

Bet all you dreamteamers and supercoach junkies with the gun Jonesy in their team can't be happy about this.
That's scandalous.

There should be an inquiry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones is a victim of his own strength. He manages to move several metres while being tackled, and having no chance of disposing of it properly, and it is called holding the ball. Weaker players go to ground and it's a ball up quite often. He made some mistakes yeah but at least he was always around the packs and still one of the best on the ground I thought.

Couldn't care less about DT, SC etc, especially since I haven't had him in mine for months.

Frees against are an absolute killer...i think you lose 8 for one, and if it happens to be a clanger as well as a free...well it's goodnight Irene! Out of bounds on the full is a clanger kick and a free against.

Love the call about shaving your head deosn't make oneself a Chapman....it's going to be great having him back for Geelong this week. Jones could well use Chappy as a sort of role model for himself about hardness and effectiveness of disposal.

The big paradox of Supercoach is how you rank an effort by one player in one game as against efforts in other games. Medhurst scores 130-odd this week for a 3-goal game, whereas Boyle kicked 5 against Port Adelaide and got a ridiculous 73! Drummond's 228 against Richmond in the tied game for the Lions was also a joke compared to for example Bartel's 177 against Adelaide when he did it all. It's like comparing oranges with coconuts.

The big paradox of Supercoach is how you rank an effort by one player in one game as against efforts in other games. Medhurst scores 130-odd this week for a 3-goal game, whereas Boyle kicked 5 against Port Adelaide and got a ridiculous 73! Drummond's 228 against Richmond in the tied game for the Lions was also a joke compared to for example Bartel's 177 against Adelaide when he did it all. It's like comparing oranges with coconuts.
That's not really a paradox.

Won the footy but coughed it up and made countless errors either in possession or when he was in the vicinity of the contest. The ranking points were spot on.

You people are fools. Not everything can be read by stats. I dont think Jones was BOG or anything, but he was ceraintly one of the better players last night. Half the reason he got caught holding the ball was he had noone there in support to dish it off to.
He is a 19 year old kid who has played 20 something games and is already a clearance king. He is developing fantastically well IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones amonsgt the best but not according to Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back