Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sufjan Stevens

Debutant
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
These two were supposedly the players Collingwood were tossing up between with pick five in the 2014 draft. They put up similar numbers in their first season but De Goey played more games. Both youngsters project as inside midfielders with the ability to play up forward.

Who do you think will be better?

I can't say i saw much of De Goey but i've got a feeling that Laverde is going to end up as one hell of a player. Has all the attributes that a player could want - big bodied, quick, strong mark, good disposal - has the potential to be the total package. Played a lot of VFL early while the coaches really drilled defensive work into him then played most of the second half of the season. To highlight how good his disposal was - he went at 85.46% effective disposal rate. Now obviously that stat is always one of the most contentious but still you aren't turning a lot of balls over with that %. Also the impressive part is he was playing forward and midfield - not just getting cheapies of the half back flank.

In fairness to De Goey his stats edge out Laverde in their first seasons - whilst most averages are comparable he is a bit better in some of the key stats and obviously playing 16 games in his first season compared to 9 is certainly to his credit. I think career wise though I think Laverde is on the path to become a top tier midfielder in a similar mould to a player like Ziebell (but hopefully a bit better).

These two were supposedly the players Collingwood were tossing up between with pick five in the 2014 draft. They put up similar numbers in their first season but De Goey played more games. Both youngsters project as inside midfielders with the ability to play up forward.

Who do you think will be better?

Not nearly enough sightings of laverde to warrant a poll yet

Bit early, should be revisted half way through next year & again at the end of 2016. Even then it's still early alot of development left in both players.

Essendon got a bargain with Laverde can not believe he lasted to his pick. However, I would not change the pick if I could. De Goey looks looks like he could be a real player. In saying that if collingwood had pick 5 and 6 I would have picked Laverde with pick 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was very keen on Laverde and also was shocked by his slide in the draft. Assume there must have been some type of attitude/other issue because on talent he looked to me very good.

De Goey I think will be a 200 game player but more in the dependable Scott Burns type mould. Laverde I think projects as a very agile and smart looking player. Hard to say but at the time I certainly had Laverde ahead of De Goey, will have to wait for more evidence.

Didn't get to watch much football this year, so haven't even seen enough of Laverde to say how good he is. From the hype though, he sounds something special.

De Goey could be brilliant, but I'm just glad we are comparing a number 5 with a player we took after draft sanctions. Good value for money.

I thought we would take Laverde at 5 and didn't really have DeGoey on the radar. I am very bullish on DeGoey and the way way he applies himself, Laverde has a little more X factor but voted JDG because he is a little more black and white.

Good luck to both in their respective careers, both have solid futures.

De Goeys played more games, more mature so far. De goey.

200434_40142f362ad0a58edadbdc3adfa5064c.PNG

Don't be so sure.

Didn't get to watch much football this year, so haven't even seen enough of Laverde to say how good he is. From the hype though, he sounds something special.

De Goey could be brilliant, but I'm just glad we are comparing a number 5 with a player we took after draft sanctions. Good value for money.

This is basically how I see it. More than happy with De Goey but the fact theres even a comparison means Essendon got fantastic value for their pick

This is basically how I see it. More than happy with De Goey but the fact theres even a comparison means Essendon got fantastic value for their pick

Degoey was seen as a long term prospect and will be a bull in the contest type.

I actually think Laverdes game style will catch the attention of people earlier then Degoeys until Degoeys body is AFL ready for his role type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back