Player Watch Jordon Sweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does it say he signed a 2 year deal?
I am led to believe, that out of the 4 trade ins we had last year, only Esava was out of contract and we signed him to a 5 year deal?

BZT ends in 2024, Soldo ends in 2024 and Sweet I think ends in 2026 so that one has a bit of time to go.

I am led to believe, that out of the 4 trade ins we had last year, only Esava was out of contract and we signed him to a 5 year deal?

BZT ends in 2024, Soldo ends in 2024 and Sweet I think ends in 2026 so that one has a bit of time to go.
Trying to find official statements of contract lengths on all 4 traded players as I believe they were never reported on when announced on the club website.

Soldo and BZT haven't come to Port on 1 year deals if that's what you're suggesting.

Soldo and BZT haven't come to Port on 1 year deals if that's what you're suggesting.

Nope, Soldo and BZT didnt have an extension on their previous deals from their previous clubs. You'd assume both of them will sign an extension.

Esava got a 5 year contract from us because he was out of contract.

Nope, Soldo and BZT didnt have an extension on their previous deals from their previous clubs.
Stop posting misinformation. You can find the information telling you how wrong all of this is with about thirty seconds of Googling.

Brendan Zerk-Thatcher was out of contract at the end of 2023. Its why we should've had the advantage in trading with Essendon when they were also after Xavier Duursma, who still had a year to run on his contract.

He is absolutely maxing out the talent that he has. I think Dante is a better option but there is no way known Sweet is giving up his spot.
Disagree - think there's lots of room for improvement in his game, particularly his forward half game.

Dante has shown a lot, but right now, he's not the better option. In the future he may well be - but we're not in a position right now to be giving the kids games for the sake of it.

Sweet is our number 1 ruck for me. Soldo's best is probably slightly better, but his bad games are really bad, and we can't afford to go in with that sort of unknown in such a key position for us.

Sweet is consistently a 6.5/7 out of 10, and our mids can work with that.

Yeah bit of an unsung hero.

Soldo played a couple good games early and the media were all over it, supporters waxing lyrical too. Whereas Jordon has quietly been going about his business since Soldo's injury and i don't think there has been any obvious drop off in output. Arguably, sweet is the better Ruckman.

Disagree - think there's lots of room for improvement in his game, particularly his forward half game.

Dante has shown a lot, but right now, he's not the better option. In the future he may well be - but we're not in a position right now to be giving the kids games for the sake of it.

Sweet is our number 1 ruck for me. Soldo's best is probably slightly better, but his bad games are really bad, and we can't afford to go in with that sort of unknown in such a key position for us.

Sweet is consistently a 6.5/7 out of 10, and our mids can work with that.

Dantes forward work matches Sweets.

Bit hard to actually go forward as a target at present due to attending pretty much every stoppage for the Magpies.

That to one side Dante is now big enough to take on AFL players once he gets the opportunity and his clearance work and hit outs to advantage more than matches Sweet.

What I love about Jordan at present is he's not rolling over and giving Port an excuse to pick Dante. I love that Sweet is on the improve and proving my 1st impression wrong.

You go a long way on character and heart and Sweet has that in spades.

I'm not bagging Sweet when I say I think Dante is a better option and given the chance Dante will prove that.

I'm all for Sweet holding his spot until he gives it up.

This is flat out incorrect.

Unlike US sports, when a player in the AFL is traded, their contract is ripped up and a new contract is established with their new team.

All of Sweet, Soldo, BZT and Ratugolea are on long term deals (at least 3 years).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is flat out incorrect.

Unlike US sports, when a player in the AFL is traded, their contract is ripped up and a new contract is established with their new team.

All of Sweet, Soldo, BZT and Ratugolea are on long term deals (at least 3 years).
How does this work? Example the Bowes trade to Geelong from GC. I was under the impression they traded his 'bad' contract + a first round pick? If the contract is torn up, then couldn't they just sign him for significantly less? Or is this because he requests a trade that he has a new contract in front of him from Geelong and that means he won't be losing money which is why the trade goes ahead?

How does this work? Example the Bowes trade to Geelong from GC. I was under the impression they traded his 'bad' contract + a first round pick? If the contract is torn up, then couldn't they just sign him for significantly less? Or is this because he requests a trade that he has a new contract in front of him from Geelong and that means he won't be losing money which is why the trade goes ahead?
That's basically what happened - his contract was too much for Gold Coast and they can't just change it. So they trade it to a team who then restructure his whole contract so it'll fit under their salary cap. Geelong wouldn't have been able to take him at his original contract.

I thought Logan Evans was in 18 months contract as a mid season draftee. Is not that 2025? So is this list accurate?

Logan Evans did nominate for the mid-season draft on an 18 month contract.

That's basically what happened - his contract was too much for Gold Coast and they can't just change it. So they trade it to a team who then restructure his whole contract so it'll fit under their salary cap. Geelong wouldn't have been able to take him at his original contract.

And isn't that a farce. And GC threw in pick 7 even though it was no imposition on Geelong.

AFL - All clear.

well isn't that absolutely f*cked then

If this was the case, it should've never been allowed. This is proper manipulation and they got pick 7 to go with it.

The player has to accept it.

The player is entitled to what his contract says. If he has 1 million owing, he's highly unlikely to just accept a 500k deal at a new team. Instead, the new club might pick up only part of the contract and the old club would remain responsible for the 500k gap. The Grundy trade went a bit like this. The Bowes trade was more that GC wanted a club to take it all. So they're basically giving extra to get someone to take it.

I guess it's the same as a player restructuring a deal at their own club. That's done all the time to spread payments owed to players to fill in gaps in the TPP salary cap. A player might be happy to take a slight cut in 1 year to help hold a team together, or to secure a longer deal, and that's all that's happening sometimes in these longer deals after the trade. It might mean Bowes was paid less than GC owed him in his contract, but Bowes may have accepted that because of the other extras he got, and thus GC are not responsible for any gap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jordon Sweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back