Supercars JUB JUB Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I did think that, but running an actual Toyota/Lexus V8 rather than the BMW 6 they have in them makes some sense too

It would certainly make sense of they would just rerebrand as V8 supercars again and be fine with it. Otherwise, the Supra built it's cult following based on being a turbo 6. Can't see a Supra silhouette running a V8 engine (even if it is a Toyota one) really appealing terribly much to rotors and especially Supra fans.

Also, I personally like mechanical variety so find just adding another V8 decidedly unappealing.

It would certainly make sense of they would just rerebrand as V8 supercars again and be fine with it. Otherwise, the Supra built it's cult following based on being a turbo 6. Can't see a Supra silhouette running a V8 engine (even if it is a Toyota one) really appealing terribly much to rotors and especially Supra fans.

Also, I personally like mechanical variety so find just adding another V8 decidedly unappealing.
It's a fair comment.

I wonder too if Toyota have seen the absolute parity cluster with these cars and decided that a turbo V6 would just be too hard to work out for the Supercar boffins

Wasn't the whole point of rebranding to "Supercars", dropping the"V8" from "V8 Supercars", supposed to reflect the recognition that other engine types would soon be allowed back into the category?

Obviously we don’t want a return to the days of the Ford Sierras and Nissan's Godzilla, which had a massive power to weight advantage over the Commodore. We still want the cars to have parity. With the wind tunnel (aerodynamic) and engine testing that they're doing now, they should be able to tune/map a V6 Turbo engine to provide the Supras with an output which allows parity with the Mustangs and Camaros.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wasn't the whole point of rebranding to "Supercars", dropping the"V8" from "V8 Supercars", supposed to reflect the recognition that other engine types would soon be allowed back into the category?

Obviously we don’t want a return to the days of the Ford Sierras and Nissan's Godzilla, which had a massive power to weight advantage over the Commodore. We still want the cars to have parity. With the wind tunnel (aerodynamic) and engine testing that they're doing now, they should be able to tune/map a V6 Turbo engine to provide the Supras with an output which allows parity with the Mustangs and Camaros.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app
They've taken 2 years to get 2 V8 engines somewhere near parity, it'll take them a decade to work out an inline 6 turbo.

I do get the premise though, it would have been very interesting to see them try it. This is Australia, the 2nd most popular TV category is old 70s toranas and mustangs with big loud V8s. We are so American in that regard.

Toyota will make it work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Supercars JUB JUB Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back