Judd Brownlow Favourite?

Remove this Banner Ad

he could easily be leading it so far this year, probably 3 votes for round 4, at least 1 vote for round 1, and probably 2 votes for round 2 and 3

Originally posted by andrew coombs
Yet another brilliant decision by John Turnbull and his eagle eyed recruiting staff at Glenferrie.

all of the first 3 will/are becoming guns. Hawthorn chose who they thought would be the best, we won't know this for 2-3 years

Take it from me, both Judd and Ball will be far better players than Hodgey. He was abetter player in hs first year than he is in his third.

The reason Judd wasnt taken was because of worries about his shoulders, despite medical evidence showing they were fine. Ball was Hawthorns prefered choice but his decision to complete his VCE in 2002 meant he was tragically bypassed. This was a decision made to appease those short sighted Hawk supporters who where up in arms at the decision to send Croad to Freo. Worried about the backlash if the player selected as the number one pick to replace Croad didnt play immediately in 2002, the club overlooked Ball. What is it they say about the lunatics running the asylum?

Originally posted by Milne
all of the first 3 will/are becoming guns. Hawthorn chose who they thought would be the best, we won't know this for 2-3 years

Mate it has already been three years.

It is unfortunate that both Hodge and Ball conitnue to be compared to him as the guy is a gun and the other two are long way behind him. IMHO they are unlikely to ever catch him.

Got on Chris Judd at $41.00

Had another bite at $31.00

Can't remember a better player at his age since probably Buckley, who would have had more senior experience by the time he got into the A.F.L.

Judd is a fair dinkum genius. Saw him play at the GABBA when they smashed us last year. It was the best performance I'd say I had seen against the Lions by a single player for many years.

Good luck to him in the Brownlow. I hope he wins this year ($$$$$) but if it is not this year I can not see it being too far away.

Great start to year, very eye catching and is working his backside off around the packs this season - polled 12 votes last year, probably deserved a few more so the umps do already know he's around (from a voting point of view).

No reason why he wouldn't be up there if he can hold his form, and lets face it, the bloke hasn't taken too many backwards steps thus far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What amazes me is how hard and successfully he works in and around packs. Just because he is a fantastic finisher some people assume he is a reciever, not the case. I think he had the most hard ball gets at the eagles last year.

I think Tredrea would be right up there as well.

As for the monotonous debate on Judd vs Ball vs Hodge - the decisions have been made, get on with it and make the comparisons at the end of their careers. Any one of these three could shine at different stages of their careers.

Judd is just an absoulote gun of a player and will be for a number of years!!!!

Goodes game against kangas should put him back up their for the brownlow even know he had poor games against cats and freo but keep in mind he was one of the best on ground against lions in round 1!!!!!

What stands out this year is that he is becoming more consistent.... instead of being a 1 quarter or a half burst player... he is now playing well for 3 quarters of a game... and picking up 23 and 30 possession games. He also seems to have a better fitness base now... and will run 40 or 50 metres to be on the end of a pass... where before he would wait around contests and take the ball out.

I remember certain people who wear purple, red, green and white to football games were saying he wasn't much chop because he didn't tackle and wasn't a good mark like a Haselby.... I think he is proving them wrong this year.. because he is one of the best tacklers we have... and also has taken some big grabs.

Originally posted by Tony_Clifton
What amazes me is how hard and successfully he works in and around packs. Just because he is a fantastic finisher some people assume he is a reciever, not the case. I think he had the most hard ball gets at the eagles last year.

true that he was ranked number 3 in thw whole AFL for hardball gets in only his second season it just looks easy to us coz he runs his opponents off the ground hes that quick

He will win one at some stage, hopefully he will do it this year but its doubtful. Not sure how many votes he would have through 4 rounds, maybe 3 or 4. Cousins has more, he was BOG in round 1 and second to Hird in the game against Essendon so IMO he has at least 5.

Both are huge chances this year.

I picked Judd to win the brownlow before the start of the season and am still very confident he is in with a big chance. I just love watching him play and i wish Essendon made a bigger move to try and get him when he was out of contract last season.

yeh, and i wish carlton picked up on a free transfer, but its just not going to happen.

I agree with hawkas comment about those 3 players shining at different stages during their career.

Rate them at the end of the career, based on their accomplishments.

Id say Hodge is better than ball, maybe I'm biased because my last name is hodge :D but maybe not.

On form - I'd reckon Haselby would have the most votes after 4 rounds.

I put money on Brent Harvey ($40 odds) & Shannon Grant (paying $35). Both usually poll well & Grant got off to a flyer this year. If he happened to get up, a very nice pay day coming to me in September.

lot of good players out there.

can't really see a saint winning the brown nose with so many taking votes of each other!

lenny hayes, fraser gehrig, reiwoldt, banger and ball will all get at least 10 votes if they continue their current form.

cousins and judd are the clear standouts at the weanies and if they get enough wins, they'll be there abouts.

Tredrea started off like a house on fire, hard to continue his form as port stack up injuries, and he's forced up the field.

crawford must have been tipped to win the brown nose, as he can't seem to get suspended no matter what he tries, form average, sam mitchell seems to be having an ave season as well.

Neitze and Yze started off well

not much at carlton, need more wins for form but campo would be leading the count to date.

nothing doing for the richmond boys

can't see the cats getting anything either

goodes, hall and williams will count well

up at the bears, v2 started off like a house on fire, last game was quiet by his standards, so much richness to chose from there, will lappin make it 4 brownlows?

collingwood's buckley is there best chance

North have the mighty brent harvey, a worthy player

freo's bell is still in contention, as is pavlova, hassleby, mcpharlin, all in with a crack

adelaides mcleod and roo could have got votes despite their shocking start to the season.

west from the doggies is their best to date.

hird has at least 4 votes without a doubt

can't think who else.

In response to Lidge:
Hase had prob has 2 BOGs - Round 1 and 3, and was our best in the 2nd round loss v Sydney, so maybe 1 vote there. Was also very good against Collingwood round 4.. maybe another 1 or 2 there. He could well be up to 8 or 9 votes already...

But who knows how the umpires see it. He could also be on only 1 or 2. He's under-rated is our Hase... but he's very, very good and very consistent.

Not saying he's going to win it, but I reckon he'll be at the top end of the count if he keeps going the way he is now and stays injury free. He has been the standout for Freo so far, with prob McPharlin and MacManus (yes the much maligned Macca...) behind him. Pav and Bell are their usual good selves, but not as outstanding as they were for us last year.

Would definitely expect to see Judd up there at the end of the year. He is plain awesome to watch. Hope he stays where he is at the weevils... (can't believe I just said that, but I actually do hope he doesn't get lured by bigger bucks from back home. He seems like a sensible, level-headed, modest type of guy - would be surprised, and frankly disappointed, to see him move on from WC).

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd Brownlow Favourite?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back