Judd or Hodge-who would you take if you knew what we knew now??

Which one?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

a) he would have already been in Melbourne if he played with the Hawks and b) he would've had no reason to leave the Hawks unless they had a drug culture like the Eagles did.

They never did, did they?

Speaking at The West Australian's _Leadership Matters breakfast at Crown Perth yesterday, Worsfold said he became aware of drug and alcohol problems when players voiced their concerns at a training camp in Queensland after the 2004 season.

Worsfold said Ben Cousins had been "a bit outed" by other players over his behaviour and hinted there had been splits in player ranks over behavioural issues.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/22213488/worsfold-lifts-lid-on-eagles-drug-scandal/

I don't think that's true.

If Melbourne had the option of drafting a young Judd, or a young Hodge with hindsight, I think they would pick Hodge. The sort of leader that he is would set the foundation of a footy club , with Judd you wouldn't necessarily get that.

Yeah nah. Hodge admits himself that he struggled with his professionalism early in his career. What came out of WCE was how Judd came to to club and helped establish a professional mindset in the group from the get-go. He replicated this again when he arrived at the Blues, who were a real basket case in this area before he arrived, with guys like Whitnall and Stevens being our best senior leaders at that point. I reckon the Dees would be far better off with a young Judd than a young Hodge in this regard. Might be different if you were drafting them at 27yo though.

Judd's objectively the better player, and I don't think many hawks fans will disagree with that. But even so, I don't think that Hawthorn would change their pick if they had their time over again. He's a legend of the club.
Yaah I agree any club would be very happy with either

certainly made up for it after that one whereas Hodge, well, did nothing in that 2010 final, nothing against Geelong in the Preliminary final, completely shit himself in the 2012 grand final and was rather underwhelming in 2 of the 3 finals of last year so I'd say Hodge has a fair ways to go before he could even possibly be mentioned in the same breath as Chris Judd who's really only had 3 or so mediocre performances (by his lofty standards) in 15 or more finals appearances.

Hodge was BOG against Sydney last year quiet against the cats, and only behind Lake and Gunston in the GF. How is that underwhelming?

His 2011, finals he was also very good. 2008 outstanding.

Hodge is a big game player. Always has been and his finals record is very very good. People always talk up Bartel as a big game player, which he clearly is, but seem to forget even he has played poor games in finals. If you play enough of them it's going to happen.

Speaking at The West Australian's _Leadership Matters breakfast at Crown Perth yesterday, Worsfold said he became aware of drug and alcohol problems when players voiced their concerns at a training camp in Queensland after the 2004 season.

Worsfold said Ben Cousins had been "a bit outed" by other players over his behaviour and hinted there had been splits in player ranks over behavioural issues.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/22213488/worsfold-lifts-lid-on-eagles-drug-scandal/

thanks for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate Carlton more than anyone I reckon and I have looked for reasons to down rate Judd because of that but I can't . Judd belongs on the list of all time greats. He would be in the discussion of the best team of all time. Likewise I rate Hodge as a very good player but he doesn't belong in the rarefied air Judd does. Probably Judd's best 5 or 6 seasons would be above Hodge's best. Judd has almost his entire career been rated in the best 3 players in the comp year in year out. Hodge might have been there once. Apart from being in the same draft there is no reason to compare them one is just better than the other.

From the 2001 draft I would rate in this order

1 GAJ
2 Judd
3 Swan
4 Mitchell
5 Johnson
6 Sandilands
7 Bartel
8 Hodge

It's an impressive list

Having Swan over Mitchell, Johnson, Bartel and Hodge?

And which five of Judd's years were better than Hodge's 2010? I'd count 2 at most.

Hodge is a champion of our club and we'd never give him up as a leader and player and I'd still pick him for those reasons. What he has brought to the club cannot be understated. But I would say Judd's best as a player has been better and I'd give him the tip in his overall career as a player purely.

You only have imagined having a midfield with Mitchell, Sewell, Judd, Crawford, Bateman running around giving it to Roughie and Franklin back in those earlier days.

Can't actually recall how anyone played in that PF but he was shocking in that GF - albeit he shouldn't even have played. What's your point?

Well, if he's a better big game player than Bartel, shouldn't he have been amongst the best in every finals game he's played?

I don't recall Bartel going missing in a grand final like Hodge did in 2012, not even in 2008.

Well, if he's a better big game player than Bartel, shouldn't he have been amongst the best in every finals game he's played?

I don't recall Bartel going missing in a grand final like Hodge did in 2012, not even in 2008.

Bartel was smashed by Sewell in 2008 and awful in last years PF. That's just 2 finals against us that I can recall. I love Bartel btw. Favourite non Hawk, But Hodge is a finals star mate.

None of them shine in all finals.

The 2001 draft is one of the best ever , if not the best.

Hodge and judd have both had spectacular careers. Both own premierships, all Australians and norm smiths and judd has 2 brownlows.

In his prime , judd was one of the best ever and hodge never reached those heights, but has been elite and consistant his whole career.

Judd has been on a steady decline the last few years and only has a year or 2 left you would imagine. Hodge is still one of the best in the league IMO.

Knowing how their careers have panned out, if you had the number 1 pick in 2001, who would you take??

The bloke who in the mid 2000's was near unstoppable but hits 30 really begins to slow down , or the bloke who never reached the heights of judd but has been inspirational and consistant for a lot longer??

Hodge, every day of the week bar Monday to Wednesdays, but after he's recovered to me there is No Quetsion. Hodges leadership is without doubt superior, & real team leadership, rather than 'I' 'I' leader!

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd or Hodge-who would you take if you knew what we knew now??

Back