Junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or does he look tantanisingly close to ripping a game apart? That kind of performance that we're going to talk about for years to come.

So far this season, he's done well in quarters and he's kicked a few goals, but there have been a few flickerings of that "spark" - that extra something that only a few footballers are ever blessed with.

He is close.

He is our most dangerous forward ATM, probably our best FT forward, and he will start getting the no.1 medium/tall defender. IMO, he will kick a bag of seven before the year is out.

2 things are needed b4 this happens:

a) give him the forward 50. On the lead he is great and can do it one on one.

b) get some players in the side who can kick to a lead consitently. When we did, he took the marks, but all to often that happens only occasionally instead of what Shannon Watt contends with, where I don't think he has had a contested possie against him because the kicks are just that damn good to the opp forwards.

That tap on for a goal was awesome. His kicking looks a little sus to me, too much of a drop to the foot hence some wayward kicks. But yes, I like what I see and get the feeling such a performance is brewing.

Originally posted by Moti
a) give him the forward 50. On the lead he is great and can do it one on one.

Actually, that reminds me of Darren Jarman in the '97 Grand Final and how Blight gave him space, and Jarman is the best comparison I can think of when it comes to Junior.

I'm just thinking that Junior is very close to a Jarman-like performance. Jarman would have days where it didn't matter who the opposition put on him, when it looked like he had his own football and he was getting goals that defied the laws of physics.

He played well yesterday and looks more impressive when he has space. Not sure what McCorey offers in our forward line atm....

I have been critical of Mots before, as he showed no defensive skills whatsoever, butt against Sydney he really improved that side of his game and his leading was excellent. No doubts that he is multi-skilled and highly talented.

If Deano can harness that talent into his team structure, I reckon he is capable of big things for us.

Originally posted by Shinboners
Actually, that reminds me of Darren Jarman in the '97 Grand Final and how Blight gave him space, and Jarman is the best comparison I can think of when it comes to Junior.
It would be ok as a one off, but I wouldn't like it as a general rule. One of the pleasing things to come out of the season so far is the number of options in the forward line. Jones is equally impressive one out and the other forwards have been doing their bit.

I'd write yesterday off as a shocker and play the tapes of the first two weeks drumming back into the boys the value of hard work and selfless play. A few wins and everyone suddenly wants to be a hero.

whilst I agree with the call that Junior is about to rip a game apart, looking long term I have my doubts about him. He is just so slack (And its not just the way he looks, he is seriously lax sometimes) and I wonder whether once the youthfullness wears off that he'll be a top line player. I just worry about a fade out. Call me pessimistic

Originally posted by Royal Blue And White
whilst I agree with the call that Junior is about to rip a game apart, looking long term I have my doubts about him. He is just so slack (And its not just the way he looks, he is seriously lax sometimes) and I wonder whether once the youthfullness wears off that he'll be a top line player. I just worry about a fade out. Call me pessimistic

Pessimistic!

Wrath

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
He is close.

He is our most dangerous forward ATM, probably our best FT forward, and he will start getting the no.1 medium/tall defender. IMO, he will kick a bag of seven before the year is out.
whilst i reckon that he seems like he is about to have a blinder, i would reckon that corey jones is our most dangerous forward at the moment.

i think he'll be erratic, and fade in and out of games like he has. but one thing i do think is that we wouldn't rely on him to kick a "match winning" goal like wells did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by NeoBlaze
i think he'll be erratic, and fade in and out of games like he has. but one thing i do think is that we wouldn't rely on him to kick a "match winning" goal like wells did
Thats just about getting a bit of luck, being the right place at the right time. you must have forgot about the 4 goals he kicked for the game.

dont get me wrong, wells is the best talent in our side at the moment, if not ever but shane clayton could have been there and kicked that.

Originally posted by NeoBlaze

I think he knows how good he can be. He has super talent, but I question some his discipline at times. He can give away silly free kicks for push-in-the-back trying to take an impossible grab, and stupid things like giving away the free-kick after the two Swans players collided.

If he just worked a little harder on the field, he could explode as everyone predicts. If he doesn't he'll go the same way as his brother - rejected by every AFL club at the end of the season.

Was Shannon's last game the one where he lost it after the siren to Creswell's free kick.

Originally posted by fusion
I think he knows how good he can be. He has super talent, but I question some his discipline at times. He can give away silly free kicks for push-in-the-back trying to take an impossible grab, and stupid things like giving away the free-kick after the two Swans players collided.

If he just worked a little harder on the field, he could explode as everyone predicts. If he doesn't he'll go the same way as his brother - rejected by every AFL club at the end of the season.

Was Shannon's last game the one where he lost it after the siren to Creswell's free kick.

If I recall correctly, Shannon's last game was agaist Freo, where he played above average and gave no reason for being dropped.

Originally posted by Kat-Eyez
If I recall correctly, Shannon's last game was against Freo, where he played above average and gave no reason for being dropped.
True but according to (many) reports that JYD wasn't happy with his Shannon's attitude...thus serving time in JYD's doghouse.

Wonder if word about his attitude was such an issue that all of the other AFL clubs passed on him also. :(

As for Junior....needs to pull his head in abit and work hard to be more of a team player IMHO.

Originally posted by Woodson
True but according to (many) reports that JYD wasn't happy with his Shannon's attitude...thus serving time in JYD's doghouse.

Wonder if word about his attitude was such an issue that all of the other AFL clubs passed on him also. :(

As for Junior....needs to pull his head in abit and work hard to be more of a team player IMHO.

what do you mean pull his head in abit and be a team player?
his done well this year in our fowardline working close with the coreys and drew, besides if he wasnt a team player he wouldnt be playing.

You have to admit his 1%ters and second efforts have been up this year. Definate improvement in defensive side of his game

Originally posted by browny16
what do you mean pull his head in abit and be a team player?
his done well this year in our fowardline working close with the coreys and drew, besides if he wasnt a team player he wouldnt be playing.

Defining my comment to pulling his head in.....last week there was a situation where Swans players collided for a contest in the F Pocket that Junior couldn't resist to let them know about it...gave a free away apparently. That's just one aspect in his game that I dislike...tendancy to still give his opponents cheek.

I agree his has done a little more this season but it's more about him trying to make more of the play than creating an assist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Back