Justin Reeves resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

The coaches allegations of denial haven't been tested. If you take the position that the coaches denying the allegations absolve them you are implying that the players are lying.

Or there was cultural insenativity as the media is pushing?

Would seem a much fairer outcome if theres no evidence of such rasicim and theyre all going on hurt feelings.

An remember were suppose to be "innocent" until proven guilty in court.

Hey Hawk fans
Very well played Reeves, his departure has stopped the media talking about the Hawks and tanking in the AFL.

Maybe Justin took two bullets for the Hawks ceased tanking talk and responisibilty for the racisim report.
Seems to be the sacrificial lamb in all of this

The Hawks, with good intentions, should have never ONLY asked indigenous players for their feedback. If Reeves instigated the report then his stepping away is probably for the best.

If the Hawks asked ALL previous players the same questions, many more issues would have come to light and none of it would be on racial grounds.

The man who has played God in more movies than anyone else, Morgan Freeman, got it right when he replied to the question: how do we stop racism? ... And he replied, “stop talking about it!”
I don’t follow that. Even if we poll all players ( and given this was done in response to Cyril’s complaints in the media it made sense to focus on First Nations players) the same allegation would have come out. It would still have racial overtones. It would still require a response. And the same parties would be involved.

I don’t follow that. Even if we poll all players ( and given this was done in response to Cyril’s complaints in the media it made sense to focus on First Nations players) the same allegation would have come out. It would still have racial overtones. It would still require a response. And the same parties would be involved.
I see the line of “happenings” and agree that the initial investigation was done on those lines. Do players without Indigenous blood have legitimate claims of wrongdoing by clubs? Yes is the answer … court cases are happening.

My conjecture is that the issue is more about the control of young fringe players whose livelihoods are controlled by a single word by people within the club.

When it comes to the Hawks report, If only one race* of people are asked if they are unhappy, then by the investigation‘s nature it is not racist. If a similar report was done in the way Irish players were treated … and some may make damning allegations … would that be racist? Clearly not! What is the difference?

The need for everyone to be the victim both maddens me and saddens me.

Likely some were wronged. I do not doubt that. An apology and a need (with actual change) to do better makes sense to me.

* Race as a concept does not exist more than Blue eyes vs Brown eyes is a difference in race. Aboriginal Culture is the real difference that matters... And that is the thing that has worth protecting and highlighting for all Australians.

Last edited:
The AFL integrity commission TOTALLY FAILED. Whomever runs that should be sacked.
Good idea…..until we remember it was managed by……

Andrew Dillon.

nathan fillion castle GIF

I see the line of “happenings” and agree that the initial investigation was done on those lines. Do players without Indigenous blood have legitimate claims of wrongdoing by clubs? Yes is the answer … court cases are happening.

My conjecture is that the issue is more about the control of young fringe players whose livelihoods are controlled by a single word by people within the club.

When it comes to the Hawks report, If only one race* of people are asked if they are unhappy, then by the investigation‘s nature it is not racist. If a similar report was done in the way Irish players were treated … and some may make damning allegations … would that be racist? Clearly not! What is the difference?

The need for everyone to be the victim both maddens me and saddens me.

Likely some were wronged. I do not doubt that. An apology and a need (with actual change) to do better makes sense to me.

* Race as a concept does not exist more than Blue eyes vs Brown eyes is a difference in race. Aboriginal Culture is the real difference that matters... And that is the thing that has worth protecting and highlighting for all Australians.
You’re crossing over into discussions that were had months and months ago in the other thread.

Whether you choose to accept it or not when young Indigenous Men are distanced from their family, told to cut ties and to buy in there’s a whole bunch of First Nations people who are reminded of the stolen generation and that trauma by those actions.

It’s not as simple as “all players got told to buy in and hand in their phones at some point, therefore it can’t be racism”, when there’s different perspectives, trauma and acts which draw comparison to the history of this nation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re crossing over into discussions that were had months and months ago in the other thread.

Whether you choose to accept it or not when young Indigenous Men are distanced from their family, told to cut ties and to buy in there’s a whole bunch of First Nations people who are reminded of the stolen generation and that trauma by those actions.

It’s not as simple as “all players got told to buy in and hand in their phones at some point, therefore it can’t be racism”, when there’s different perspectives, trauma and acts which draw comparison to the history of this nation.
SYL… thanks … Move on

Last edited:
Good idea…..until we remember it was managed by……

Andrew Dillon.

nathan fillion castle GIF
Yeah the Mick Warner article earlier this week or last week gave a great outline of how the events went down..incl that Dillon was the first at the afl to see and read the report with the integrity commission.

Reeves was a poor CEO. Not respected by the other Clubs, nor the AFL.

Reeves was described to me by another Club president as a 'C-Grade CEO in charge of an A-Grade Club'. This view was shared by many.

Moving forward, the next CEO is a massive and era-defining decision for Gowers and the Board. We need an experienced football CEO that understands the industry, has the respect of the industry but isn't afraid to stand up to outside forces looking to hold Hawthorn back.

You only had to watch Brendon Gale on Footy Classified to understand what the Club needs moving forward and what we have been sorely missing since Fox left.

An exciting time and I am glad that the Club now has the clean air to make this appointment.

Does anyone have any word on what was actually said between Greg Swann and Reeves?

Swann must be fairly confident in his prowess because having seen Reevesy around Richmond a fair bit he is not somebody I would try and get physical with.

I just don't see how they're going to mend things with everyone involved. The idea of it seems so detached from the reality of where the people involved are at. You get Clarko to come to the reunions, and irrespective of what is proven or not proven, how it all shakes out with the investigation or in court, it sounds like we'll have players who will not attend because of that.

I just don't see how they're going to mend things with everyone involved. The idea of it seems so detached from the reality of where the people involved are at. You get Clarko to come to the reunions, and irrespective of what is proven or not proven, how it all shakes out with the investigation or in court, it sounds like we'll have players who will not attend because of that.
I don’t think it will happen as fast as this year, but time heals all wounds.

I don’t think it will happen as fast as this year, but time heals all wounds.
To quote some of the greatest artists of a generation, like a knife that cuts you the wound heals, but the scar... that scar remAAIIIIINNSSS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Justin Reeves resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back