Games - 14
Goals - 17
Best and Fairest - >10th
Recruited Pick 45 2004 draft.
Height/Weight: 183cm, 87kg
Dreamteam Price: 950 points; $270,600
Supercoach: 946 points; $312,800
Stats

Leaving the Lions in 2010, Justin joined the Western Bulldogs in 2011 at the cost of an end of first round compensation pick (Jarrod Harbrow). After a scorching 2009 season Sherman was identified as a threat by opposition analysts and was not able to fly under the radar in 2010, this culminated in Justin taking the first tag in many matches and being completely blanketed. With the Bulldogs midfield consisting of Griffen, Cooney, Boyd and Cross this was seen as a positive for Sherman as he would receive less attention from the opposition. Sherman cemented a spot in the best 22 right from round 1 and by round 14 Justin had taken his total goal tally to 17 to lead all comers. To his credit Justin provided much needed outside class, leg speed, run and carry, finishing and goal kicking ability in an otherwise disappointing season for the dogs in which scoring was a problem in many matches. Although filling an important role, supporters continued to question if he was worth the compensatory pick with the oncoming 2012 “superdraft”. Sherman was also criticized for kicking many “Joe the Goose” over the top goals in the square, however let us not forget he had to work to get into such positions and a higher percentage shot on goal is always a good thing.

In round 14 Justin Sherman racially abused Nigerian player Joel Wilkinson and tarnished an otherwise solid start to the season; in the match Gold Coast captain Gary Ablett could be seen waving his little hands in contempt and disgust. Sherman was suspended for four weeks and fined $5000 in an agreement with the victim. Coupled with this suspension, niggling injuries spelled the end for Justin’s 2011 season. He only managed one more game which came in Round 19 against West Coast; Justin’s effort in this game was unsatisfactory.

Whilst working hard offensively Justin needs to notably improve his defensive efforts and run both ways, this is currently his glaring weakness with the focus on zones and forward pressure in modern football.

Notable Games:

Round 4 against Fremantle: Justin booted 4 goals in a close but substandard match of football.

Round 5 against Collingwood: Justin followed up his good work from round 4 by kicking 3 goals and gathering 18 possessions. He was the bulldog’s top scorer and one of only a handful of players able to successfully break out of the crushing forward pressure set up by the reigning premiers.

Round 8 & 13 against Richmond & Adelaide: Played well but sub standard opposition.

3MMM-Rush-Hour-Justin-Sherman-Blog.jpg

Re: #10: Justin Sherman

thanksfor that thread bulldogs .have just read the other trash about justins tatt around his neck ,no one was right .has had it for a few years now.go the dogsin 2012;):footy:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/one-sorry-season-20120203-1qxtl.html

WHEN Justin Sherman first moved to Melbourne he borrowed a car and set out on each afternoon off, exploring. He worked out where he wanted to live, found places to eat, some good spots to hang out and the easiest way to training with his new team, the Western Bulldogs. He wanted to know what the city felt like in the middle of winter, when it became absorbed in football, but he didn't plan to be the focus of all that talk. Not in the way he did, anyway, sitting at a media conference, surrounded by cameras, wishing he could shrink and asking himself why he'd done what he had just done.

Re: Sherman article

He is one of our few offensive weapons. He'll have to have a big impact in all games if we are going to be competitive.

I expected too much from Justin last year. In the games I saw him play for the Lions he looked a goodun. I have moderated my expectations now and really just hope he can play consistant footy and give us plenty of outside run.

My sentiments.

I expected too much from Justin last year. In the games I saw him play for the Lions he looked a goodun. I have moderated my expectations now and really just hope he can play consistant footy and give us plenty of outside run.

That is exactly his problem. Far, far, FAR too inconsistent. His good looks great as it is flashy but he goes missing way too often.

That is exactly his problem. Far, far, FAR too inconsistent. His good looks great as it is flashy but he goes missing way too often.

True he has been inconsistent for us (and the Lions in his last few seasons there), but let's remember that he came second in a Lions B&F very early on in his career. So he can play consistently. Apparently (according to JAk ... for what it's worth?) he didn't handle it well (ie focussed on getting endorsements instead of football). I hope that the racial incident might have finally matured him. Personally if he can add a defensive side to his game he has the tools to be one of our top liners. From what I've seen of his defence though this is a big 'if'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True he has been inconsistent for us (and the Lions in his last few seasons there), but let's remember that he came second in a Lions B&F very early on in his career. So he can play consistently. Apparently (according to JAk ... for what it's worth?) he didn't handle it well (ie focussed on getting endorsements instead of football). I hope that the racial incident might have finally matured him. Personally if he can add a defensive side to his game he has the tools to be one of our top liners. From what I've seen of his defence though this is a big 'if'.

I don't think he's a top liner, his skills are not really elite but he does have elite pace. Agree that he could be an important cog in the team if he can become consistant at all areas of the game. I really hope he can but I don't really expect the world from him now. Time will tell.

I don't think he's a top liner, his skills are not really elite but he does have elite pace. Agree that he could be an important cog in the team if he can become consistant at all areas of the game. I really hope he can but I don't really expect the world from him now. Time will tell.

Reminds me a bit of Nigel Kellet - quick, get ball , run with ball very fast type of player, but disposal varies.

I was at a game at the WO one day and I was in convesation with the bloke standing next to me and I said 'Geez, that Kellet is like a race horse - bloody fast, but bloody dumb, ha ha ha'

he said "thats my son..."

Reminds me a bit of Nigel Kellet - quick, get ball , run with ball very fast type of player, but disposal varies.

I was at a game at the WO one day and I was in convesation with the bloke standing next to me and I said 'Geez, that Kellet is like a race horse - bloody fast, but bloody dumb, ha ha ha'

he said "thats my son..."

......awkward. :D

Lets just say I was loudly appreciative of Nigel's next couple of posessions :eek:

Reminds me of the Collingwood supporting dude abusing Simon-minton Conell out of the blue when SMC happened to be sitting right in from of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back