USA Kamala Harris the 47th President of the United States - Hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

No. You know this is untrue. Let's not do the thing where you pretend not to understand. It should be beneath you, as someone who proclaims to have moral standards.

Trump (and other Republicans) want to put into action a system where he/they can ignore the will of the voters and be President (among other offices) without winning an election.

If presidential elections were by popular vote, Republicans are entirely allowed to win them, by receiving more votes nationwide, which is fitting for a nationwide office. There is nothing stopping them, outside of comparative popularity with voters.

What you would be concerned with is that Republican Presidential candidates would actually have to better represent their entire constituency. This may not bode well for the agendas of the more extreme ideologues and those who simp most for the very wealthy and powerful.

But in any case, since Republicans would have the same opportunity as Democrats to win a single nationwide vote for a single nationwide office, I repeat the question, how would this "end Democracy"?

Or are we arguing for equality of outcome here (both sides get a turn regardless of vote share), instead of equality of opportunity?
This is just nonsense fearmongering you've swallow whole.

I still think the cycles will stay fairly similar if popular voting was introduced. I was just pointing out the tweet that appeared to want the Dems to be in power unchallenged. It may not end Democracy but it's certainly unhealthy.

This is just nonsense fearmongering you've swallow whole.

I still think the cycles will stay fairly similar if popular voting was introduced. I was just pointing out the tweet that appeared to want the Dems to be in power unchallenged. It may not end Democracy but it's certainly unhealthy.
No, it's based on the set of deliberate actions that Trump took after the last Presidential election, with the direct or tacit support of much of his party. It has pervaded to state elections since.

I know you need to pretend otherwise, but that can't be helped.

Cool, you admit you were wrong about it ending democracy, yay for small steps.

It's a strange thought that having to better represent your constituency in order to win elections, is unhealthy.

Also I love the argument that if Trump gets in he will end democracy but you are all for the system that will allow one party to rule forever.

As usual it's you trying to walk both sides of the sterrt
You're like a child :tearsofjoy:

Why on earth would one party rule forever? You seem to be saying here that Republicans are just that inherently bad that they will never again be able to produce a candidate that would appeal to a simple majority of voters.

then you don't put any value on democracy.

it's an issue the dems have to confront at each election. obama was able to motivate the working and middle class. hopefully harris can too.
Correct,especially the 'American' kind.

I don't think people will be dancing in the streets
whatever the outcome of the election.

But the personal religion thing makes zero sense. Religion is not personal. Its universal. Religious people believe a magic fairy/super being created universal moral laws that everyone must follow. There is no such thing as personal moral values to the religious. Well not with modern religions like christianity and islam.
What a load of rubbish- you are describing extremism , cultism.
There are lots of alternatives between either end of the pendulum.

Taylor Swift Lol GIF by iHeartRadio

FFS you can’t be serious, that’s not a stumble.
Trump has a myriad of examples of being a stunned mullet.
That’s not even close , try harder😜

Just watched the Kamala 60 minutes interview, it is frightening that this person could end up leading the free world? I'd rather vote for "Mayor Pufnstuff" than Kamala Harris, she hasn't got any answers to anything and just tosses up any old rubbish and hopes the interviewer is dumber than she is? It's mind boggling she's gotten this far. How can any sane person think she will be good for America?
Is that better or worse than having “concepts of a plan”?

How does (voter ID) it prevent them from voting?

from the Brennan Center for Justice's research report The Challenge of Obtaining Voter Identification:

Executive Summary

Ten states now have unprecedented restrictive voter ID laws. Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin all require citizens to produce specific types of government-issued photo identification before they can cast a vote that will count. Legal precedent requires these states to provide free photo ID to eligible voters who do not have one.

Unfortunately, these free IDs are not equally accessible to all voters. This report is the first comprehensive assessment of the difficulties that eligible voters face in obtaining free photo ID.

The 11 percent of eligible voters who lack the required photo ID must travel to a designated government office to obtain one. Yet many citizens will have trouble making this trip. In the 10 states with restrictive voter ID laws:

• Nearly 500,000 eligible voters do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from the nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. Many of them live in rural areas with dwindling public transportation options.
  • More than 10 million eligible voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.
  • 1.2 million eligible black voters and 500,000 eligible Hispanic voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. People of color are more likely to be disenfranchised by these laws since they are less likely to have photo ID than the general population.
  • Many ID-issuing offices maintain limited business hours. For example, the office in Sauk City, Wisconsin is open only on the fifth Wednesday of any month. But only four months in 2012 — February, May, August, and October — have five Wednesdays. In other states — Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas — many part-time ID-issuing offices are in the rural regions with the highest concentrations of people of color and people in poverty.
More than 1 million eligible voters in these states fall below the federal poverty line and live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. These voters may be particularly affected by the significant costs of the documentation required to obtain a photo ID. Birth certificates can cost between $8 and $25. Marriage licenses, required for married women whose birth certificates include a maiden name, can cost between $8 and $20. By comparison, the notorious poll tax — outlawed during the civil rights era — cost $10.64 in current dollars.

The result is plain: Voter ID laws will make it harder for hundreds of thousands of poor Americans to vote. They place a serious burden on a core constitutional right that should be universally available to every American citizen.

This November, restrictive voter ID states will provide 127 electoral votes — nearly half of the 270 needed to win the presidency. Therefore, the ability of eligible citizens without photo ID to obtain one could have a major influence on the outcome of the 2012 election.
You can download the report here

from the Brennan Center for Justice's research report The Challenge of Obtaining Voter Identification:

You can download the report here
Why would I? You only have to look at the board to see that it is far from nonpartisan.

People had to have vaccine passports to work which with no exceptions but when it comes to IDs for voting it's too hard for marginalised to get IDs.

It's so transparent that the Dems want non-citizens to vote in the hope it helps them win.

The DOJ should be doing everything in their power to shore up elections so only citizens vote, but not this current DOJ.

Why would I? You only have to look at the board to see that it is far from nonpartisan.

People had to have vaccine passports to work which with no exceptions but when it comes to IDs for voting it's too hard for marginalised to get IDs.

It's so transparent that the Dems want non-citizens to vote in the hope it helps them win.

The DOJ should be doing everything in their power to shore up elections so only citizens vote, but not this current DOJ.

You asked how voter IDs would hinder voting....
I included the actual report in case you wanted to learn more about it. Sorry, I misjudged you.

You asked how voter IDs would hinder voting....
I included the actual report in case you wanted to learn more about it. Sorry, I misjudged you.
I already understand the argument. I just dont agree with it.

There are very few things in the US that don't require you to show your ID but as soon as its voting you are marginalising people.

To argue to that people are unable to get an id is just condecending and borderline racist which is why racist is the thing screamed at people who oppose it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From that article, you can see why these sorts of purges, especially close to elections, are opposed:

"Allen also acknowledged in the press release that “some of the individuals who were issued noncitizen identification numbers have, since receiving them, become naturalized citizens and are, therefore, eligible to vote.” Those U.S. citizens would be able to update their voter registration information, the statement added.

But in a statement, the Justice Department characterized this process as a “systematic voter removal program” that has ensnared U.S. citizens, both those born in the United States and those who were naturalized, and put them on a path to no longer appearing on Alabama’s voter registration list."

Also, from that same article:

"It’s already against the law for noncitizens to vote in federal elections, and proven instances of noncitizen voting are vanishingly rare."

It's yet another imagined problem on the right, used to fearmonger, justify suppression, and lay the groundwork to doubt and deny election results.

From that article, you can see why these sorts of purges, especially close to elections, are opposed:

"Allen also acknowledged in the press release that “some of the individuals who were issued noncitizen identification numbers have, since receiving them, become naturalized citizens and are, therefore, eligible to vote.” Those U.S. citizens would be able to update their voter registration information, the statement added.

But in a statement, the Justice Department characterized this process as a “systematic voter removal program” that has ensnared U.S. citizens, both those born in the United States and those who were naturalized, and put them on a path to no longer appearing on Alabama’s voter registration list."

Also, from that same article:

"It’s already against the law for noncitizens to vote in federal elections, and proven instances of noncitizen voting are vanishingly rare."

It's yet another imagined problem on the right, used to fearmonger, justify suppression, and lay the groundwork to doubt and deny election results.
'Proven instances.' If you dont look for it or turn a blind eye to it you wont find it.

Voter ID is asked for in most areas of life without the keft batting an eyelid. Amazing that it always becomes an issue leading up to elections.

And there is a cutoff for registering to vote in most countries. Very few if any allow you you to register close to the day of voting.

It is the left manufacturing a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

USA Kamala Harris the 47th President of the United States - Hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back