Kdfl - 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are clubs doing enough to try and sustain thirds teams or do some clubs not care at all? I know at Murch the thirds struggled for numbers a bit last year but this year we've had full sides to pick from each game and a lot of "under age" kids that will be around next year, which makes me think that we're on the up in the thirds comp....where are other clubs situated? Would be unfortunate if we were to be headed for no thirds...how would we get talented local kids to our clubs?

I would think VT would be able to sustain a thirds team if the league had fourths. At present we have a team full of U/14's playing juniors in Benalla.

We promote and hold Auskick with about 20 kids on a Friday night but are losing that gap between auskick and thirds.

I would think VT would be able to sustain a thirds team if the league had fourths. At present we have a team full of U/14's playing juniors in Benalla.

We promote and hold Auskick with about 20 kids on a Friday night but are losing that gap between auskick and thirds.

Many KDL people do not understand this!

Many of the people I have mentioned this to seem to think that if your struggling to field 3rds then trying to field 4ths is out of the question. By having a 4ths game running the bigger kids can double up if required in the 3rds. It helps the entire club.

From my experience in the Tungamah FL and Picola FL, the 4ths teams are usually filled with 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14 year olds and the 3rds (Under 17s) have 14, 15, 16, 17 year olds.

The direct issue that makes the KDL different to the PFL and MFL is the existence of junior leagues (Goulburn Campaspe, Shepp Junior, Seymour Junior and Benalla Junior).

If you speak to a parent in the PFL or MFL they love it, the whole family is involved in sport all on the same day at the same venue.

PS: VT, I know the SE PFL would love one more team.... they have 4ths!

Many KDL people do not understand this!

Many of the people I have mentioned this to seem to think that if your struggling to field 3rds then trying to field 4ths is out of the question. By having a 4ths game running the bigger kids can double up if required in the 3rds. It helps the entire club.

From my experience in the Tungamah FL and Picola FL, the 4ths teams are usually filled with 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14 year olds and the 3rds (Under 17s) have 14, 15, 16, 17 year olds.

The direct issue that makes the KDL different to the PFL and MFL is the existence of junior leagues (Goulburn Campaspe, Shepp Junior, Seymour Junior and Benalla Junior).

If you speak to a parent in the PFL or MFL they love it, the whole family is involved in sport all on the same day at the same venue.

PS: VT, I know the SE PFL would love one more team.... they have 4ths!

Here here, i'll 2nd that!

From a personal experience I started 4ths for VT as a 7yr old in the TFL / GVFL div.2 / CGFL and knocked up 100games in the under 14's, I filled in for the 3rds 4 or 5 times in my top age year and loved it.

Having the 4ths sets up the 3rds and it isn't as stressful wondering whether you'll have the numbers for 3rds the next year and who they will be, because you already know them and they are aking to step up to the next level.

From a club perspective it is a little more gate takings, more people (new helpers) and it lifts the family culture around the club and boosts numbers for functions, i.e. presentation night and adult parents for the formal. It also provides you with regular boundary umpires for the 3rds (if you buy them a pie n a coke).

Here here, i'll 2nd that!

From a personal experience I started 4ths for VT as a 7yr old in the TFL / GVFL div.2 / CGFL and knocked up 100games in the under 14's, I filled in for the 3rds 4 or 5 times in my top age year and loved it.

Having the 4ths sets up the 3rds and it isn't as stressful wondering whether you'll have the numbers for 3rds the next year and who they will be, because you already know them and they are aking to step up to the next level.

From a club perspective it is a little more gate takings, more people (new helpers) and it lifts the family culture around the club and boosts numbers for functions, i.e. presentation night and adult parents for the formal. It also provides you with regular boundary umpires for the 3rds (if you buy them a pie n a coke).

Although Under 14's would be a great addition to the KDFL, but one of the things you'll have to encounter is the length of Game Day adding to the time volunteers have to give on Saturdays.

Considering that most 4ths start at 9:30, it's a long day for the likes of myself who's usually there from the start.

But, with that being said, I think that the league should have a Under 14's/15's but, make it voluntary unlike the Under 18's, where clubs should have one, and gradually add to it like the Under 15's & 17's Netball (some club's don't have Under 15's & Ardmona don't have Juniors at all).

I think that there would be 7 clubs that could do it (Avenel, Violet Town, Stanhope, Rushworth, Girgarre, Nagambie, & Lancaster), Murchison & Tally might struggle and Undera, Ardmona & Merrigum would be very unlikely.

And another thing you could do is have some games under lights on Friday Night early in the season as a novelty.

Because with Murch, we have heaps of kids either playing soccer or playing at Tatura and anything that would help us get more people would only be a good thing.

What are everyone’s opinions on Longwood coming into The KDFL, they’ve been on the end of 45-goal hidings in the Benalla DFL, how could they possibly cut it in the KDFL? Are the VCFL making sacrificial lambs of them?

It seems that by hook or by crook, they are going to wind up the BDFL, which is a shame because if the clubs want to continue, they should be allowed to, even though 5 teams isn't much of a league (Broken Hill has a 4 team comp., so why can't they fight another day ?).

As far as Longwood goes, I hope that they can make a good fight of it in the KDFL, but you think that they would be up against it, and because of this, you can't help but to think that the likes of Tatong, Swanpool, & Longwood might not survive, (Goorambat & Bonnie Doon still could survive on their own) although I hope that they do.

My Tips for this Round 13
MURCHISONVs. Avenel (10 points)
Violet Town Vs. NAGAMBIE
UNDERAVs. Tallygaroopna
LANCASTERVs. Girgarre
STANHOPEVs. Ardmona
RUSHWORTHVs Merrigum (Rushy in an upset which will severly dent Merrigum's chances).

Good to c two of stanhopes best players will b returning to the park in the next couple of weeks, one of them has only playd one hoota, and colonel hasnt playd yet but will b back next week from a stint overseas these two players could be wat gets the mainland back on track, hopefully. along with sheersy,orielly,clymo,and evo. should give the boys a bit of depth coming to the end of the season.

We played Naggaz on the weekend and if they don't make the grand final there's something wrong. They're a very well rounded team right across the field with backs, middle n forwards all holding their own.
We tried our best but their willingness to run and run all match was to much. They backed themselves to win the stoppages or to rebound the footy out of defense and they always had 3 or 4 breaking off and pushing forward and we were never quick enough to react.
The 2nd and 3rd quarters they got a run on and that was the end of it really. Not sure if it was Sullivan or Clydedale but they took a heap of contested grabs across the halfback and set up a lot of drive for them.
We play Undera this week so it'll be interesting to compare the two....

Anyone want to have a stab at a possible pretend interleague team? Been a bit quiet on here....

Here's mine:

Backs: Pappin (stan) Freeman (murch) Ross (VT)
Half Backs: Sullivan (Nag) A Clarke(rushy) Breen (und)
centres: Vourgalis (und) Burnett (lanc) Scarcella (merr)
half fwds: Hobbs (VT) Eddy (lanc) Wellington (merr)
forwards: Lloyd(nag) Rattray (nag) Laporta (und)
Followers: Clydesdale(nag) J Shiels (nag) Stoertebecker (und)
On the pine: Aummun (VT) Trapani (murch) Paulke (nag)

Emergencies: ??? sure there's plenty of footballers that are in hot form that i've missed

Anyone want to have a stab at a possible pretend interleague team? Been a bit quiet on here....

Here's mine:

Emergencies: ??? sure there's plenty of footballers that are in hot form that i've missed

Nice crack at that mate, and thank you after 4 days of no one writing anything on here to break the silience.

But breen to the half back flank??? He has never played the position the whole time i've been in the kdfl. 3 vt players but you couldn't name yourself, everyone knows you are one the best defenders in the league it makes me laugh when they try and play you as a on baller. Paulke for me would be a start considering his form.

My side-

FB Andrew Oldfield (Tally) Bodzy (Vt) Johnny V (Und)
CHB Brenton campbell (vt) Andrew clarke (Rushy) geoff C (Merrigum
C Sprios (Und) Burnett (lanky) Scarcella (merr)
CHF j callum (Tally) Rattray (Nag) Sam La (Undera)
FF Jungle (Rushy) Pierce (Stanhope) Llyod ( Nag)
Centres Clyde (nag) Benny s (undera) Paulke (Nag)
Interchange A.pappin (stan) D.corrigan (murchison) P.arhant (avernal)

Gone in a bit tall but expect to kick 20 goals, in a easy game!!!

Nice crack at that mate, and thank you after 4 days of no one writing anything on here to break the silience.

But breen to the half back flank??? He has never played the position the whole time i've been in the kdfl. 3 vt players but you couldn't name yourself, everyone knows you are one the best defenders in the league it makes me laugh when they try and play you as a on baller. Paulke for me would be a start considering his form. For me eddy hasn't done enough this year, i think alot more pressure has been put one him.

My side-

FB Andrew Oldfield (Tally) Bodzy (Vt) Johnny V (Und)
CHB Brenton campbell (vt) Andrew clarke (Rushy) geoff C (Merrigum
C Sprios (Und) Burnett (lanky) Scarcella (merr)
CHF j callum (Tally) Rattray (Nag) Sam La (Undera)
FF Jungle (Rushy) Pierce (Stanhope) Llyod ( Nag)
Centres Clyde (nag) Benny s (undera) Paulke (Nag)
Interchange A.pappin (stan) D.corrigan (murchison) P.arhant (avernal)

Gone in a bit tall but expect to kick 20 goals, in a easy game!!!

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Coach Rob Auld (Nag)

FB Bodycoat (VT) Freeman (Mur) Clymo (Sta)

HB Sullivan (Nag) Clydesdale (Nag) Clarke (Rush)

C M. Shiels (Nag) Bernett (Lan) Godsmark (Und)

Hf D. Haysom (Nag) La Porta (Und) Hanford (Sta)

FF Martin (Rus) Rattray (Nag) Hobbs (VT)

Rucks Fox (Nag) Sanders (Tally) Stoertebecker (Und)

Inter Wellington (Mer) Sidebottom (Tally) Arhant (Ave)

Emg Pappin (Sta) Corrigan (Mur) Scarcella (Mer)

I'll have a crack, with some Avenel bias of course:

FB: Bodycoat (VT) Freeman (MUR) A. Clarke (RUS)
CHB: Duckworth (AVE) Godsmark (UND) C. Kilmartin (MER)
C: S. Paulke (NAG) Burnett (LAN) Scarcella (MER)
CHF: La Porta (UND) Wellington (MER) D. Haysom (NAG)
FF: Eddy (LAN) Rattray (NAG) Bradley (MUR)
R: Roberts (LAN) B. Stoertebecker (UND) W. Wheeler (AVE)
INT: Pappin (STA) Arandt (AVE) J. Shiels (NAG)

Easily the hardest position I found to pick was the ruck. I ended up picking Roberts as he dominated against more than any one else had, but there were plenty of centre bounces that game, if you know what I mean. I guess Freeman, Rattray and Arandt could all play there at a stretch.

I expect abit of flack about the Avenel inclusions but I think that they all are good enough. I tried to pick it based on those I'd seen play this year, hence no mention of players like Grey from Stanhope.

Admittedly, there's plenty of players from the northern sides that I don't see much of or hear much about.

Although Under 14's would be a great addition to the KDFL, but one of the things you'll have to encounter is the length of Game Day adding to the time volunteers have to give on Saturdays.

Considering that most 4ths start at 9:30, it's a long day for the likes of myself who's usually there from the start.

But, with that being said, I think that the league should have a Under 14's/15's but, make it voluntary unlike the Under 18's, where clubs should have one, and gradually add to it like the Under 15's & 17's Netball (some club's don't have Under 15's & Ardmona don't have Juniors at all).

I think that there would be 7 clubs that could do it (Avenel, Violet Town, Stanhope, Rushworth, Girgarre, Nagambie, & Lancaster), Murchison & Tally might struggle and Undera, Ardmona & Merrigum would be very unlikely.

And another thing you could do is have some games under lights on Friday Night early in the season as a novelty.

Because with Murch, we have heaps of kids either playing soccer or playing at Tatura and anything that would help us get more people would only be a good thing.

I think that Avenel and Nagambie could easily get sides, but I don't think it'd be in either of their best interests to do. Their combined sides in the Seymour Juniors mean that more kids get games every weekend, and apart from that standard in the under 16s is genuinely better than in the KDL under 18s (apart from probably the Nagambie thirds side).

I would say its no coincidence that since the junior club has been formed the two sides have had pretty strong under 18 sides on a consistent basis.

With that in mind, I do like the idea of making it optional for the clubs who want to compete as a way of suring up junior numbers who can't go ahead and form a junior club. Some junior develpment is always better than none. Even if you only get 10 games a year, far better to have a tie with junior players than not to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have a crack, with some Avenel bias of course:

FB: Bodycoat (VT) Freeman (MUR) A. Clarke (RUS)
CHB: Duckworth (AVE) Godsmark (UND) C. Kilmartin (MER)
C: S. Paulke (NAG) Burnett (LAN) Scarcella (MER)
CHF: La Porta (UND) Wellington (MER) D. Haysom (NAG)
FF: Eddy (LAN) Rattray (NAG) Bradley (MUR)
R: Roberts (LAN) B. Stoertebecker (UND) W. Wheeler (AVE)
INT: Pappin (STA) Arandt (AVE) J. Shiels (NAG)

I had no idea whillie was still around, last i heard he was having a crack at the bushy's side. I would of found a spot on the bench or snuck him up the ground more as i think you likes to run. Very exciting player with great skills. Hopefully i can tell my kids that i played against him when he becomes a afl superstar.

I think that Avenel and Nagambie could easily get sides, but I don't think it'd be in either of their best interests to do. Their combined sides in the Seymour Juniors mean that more kids get games every weekend, and apart from that standard in the under 16s is genuinely better than in the KDL under 18s (apart from probably the Nagambie thirds side).

I would say its no coincidence that since the junior club has been formed the two sides have had pretty strong under 18 sides on a consistent basis.

With that in mind, I do like the idea of making it optional for the clubs who want to compete as a way of suring up junior numbers who can't go ahead and form a junior club. Some junior develpment is always better than none. Even if you only get 10 games a year, far better to have a tie with junior players than not to.

How many sides in the current Tabilk arrangement. I know Tongala run with u17s and u14s in the MFL and also have teams in the Shepp Juniors.

How many sides in the current Tabilk arrangement. I know Tongala run with u17s and u14s in the MFL and also have teams in the Shepp Juniors.

Theres 12s, 14s, 16s plus a netball side. About 30 kids in the bottom two age groups and 25 in the 16s. A few of the kids have already played a few games to top up Avenel and Nagambie, my personal opinion is that getting alot of kids to play two games a weekend is abit risky as it can annoy parents and burn kids out. But, as they say, opinions are like assholes.

Willie is probably abit of a dubious inclusion, played three games I think with a couple of best ons for Avenel. Spends most of his time playing at Assumption and a couple of games in the bushies. Can play.

Theres 12s, 14s, 16s plus a netball side. About 30 kids in the bottom two age groups and 25 in the 16s. A few of the kids have already played a few games to top up Avenel and Nagambie, my personal opinion is that getting alot of kids to play two games a weekend is abit risky as it can annoy parents and burn kids out. But, as they say, opinions are like assholes.

Willie is probably abit of a dubious inclusion, played three games I think with a couple of best ons for Avenel. Spends most of his time playing at Assumption and a couple of games in the bushies. Can play.

Reckon he was best on against us 2 weeks ago when we lost to avenel by a point. He got several clearances and broke free in attack plenty of times...

Reckon he was best on against us 2 weeks ago when we lost to avenel by a point. He got several clearances and broke free in attack plenty of times...

You might be able to answer this for me Bodzy, you're geographicly closer to the situation than me....any truth in what I heard yesterday about Longwood definately joining the league next year? Apparently the VCFL will be giving them a "leg up" for one year only?

I know the topic has been flogged to death but I heard it was all confirmed?

Here's mine:

first of all i apologize to all of the opposition backline players because i cant see that far i dont always know who does all the good work back there, and also the smaller players around the ground i dont always know there names, but here goes my side:

B-connally(merr) clydesdale(nag) bodycoat(vt)

hb-Lloyd(nag) Pappin(sta) stoertebecker(und) my medal tip*

c-cullum(tal) burnett(lan) paulke(nag)

hf-bevan(rus) LaPorta(und) wellington(mer)

f-Arandt(av) Rattray(nag) bradley(mur)

ruck-soloman(rus) Smythe(vt) hoggy bear (mur)

int-roberts(lan),sanders(tal),eddy(lan),turpin(gig),corrigan(mur)

first of all i apologize to all of the opposition backline players because i cant see that far i dont always know who does all the good work back there, and also the smaller players around the ground i dont always know there names, but here goes my side:

B-connally(merr) clydesdale(nag) bodycoat(vt)

hb-Lloyd(nag) Pappin(sta) stoertebecker(und) my medal tip*

c-cullum(tal) burnett(lan) paulke(nag)

hf-bevan(rus) LaPorta(und) wellington(mer)

f-Arandt(av) Rattray(nag) bradley(mur)

ruck-soloman(rus) Smythe(vt) hoggy bear (mur)

int-roberts(lan),sanders(tal),eddy(lan),turpin(gig),corrigan(mur)

hahahaha Hoggy Bear hahaha
Couldn't fit yourself in there? You're not that modest usually...

Would it be fair to say that Ardmona and Girgarre just don't have anyone that's good enough to be considered in the KDFL's best 22?

There aren’t any names (that I can think of) from either of those clubs that you would straightaway think ‘absolute gun’ when someone mentioned them. I’m happy to be proven wrong though, I just can’t name any…

Would it be fair to say that Ardmona and Girgarre just don't have anyone that's good enough to be considered in the KDFL's best 22?

There aren’t any names (that I can think of) from either of those clubs that you would straightaway think ‘absolute gun’ when someone mentioned them. I’m happy to be proven wrong though, I just can’t name any…

Lloyd O'brien, Mark Young...neither of them in form but both very capable.

Turpin is leading the KDFL Bennett,s Sports award and Gus McDonald 3rd so you would have to consider either of them they must be going ok if they are polling ok in the awards, in saying that they do stand out in the side after playing them in round 11, they both stood out.

Here's mine:

Backs: Parsons (Lan) Freeman (murch) Thompson (gig)
Half Backs: Connally (merr) A Clarke(rushy) Campbell (Und)
centres: S.Vourgalis (und) Burnett (lanc) Scarcella (merr)
half fwds: Eddy (Lan) Fantani (ard) Fidock (Und)
forwards: Pell (Und) Rattray (nag) Laporta (und)
Followers: Clydesdale(nag) Paulke (nag) Stoertebecker (und)
Bench Roberts (Lan) McDonald (gig ) Brooks (Ave)

Here's mine:

Backs: Parsons (Lan) Freeman (murch) Thompson (gig)
Half Backs: Connally (merr) A Clarke(rushy) Campbell (Und)
centres: S.Vourgalis (und) Burnett (lanc) Scarcella (merr)
half fwds: Eddy (Lan) Fantani (ard) Fidock (Und)
forwards: Pell (Und) Rattray (nag) Laporta (und)
Followers: Clydesdale(nag) Paulke (nag) Stoertebecker (und)
Bench Roberts (Lan) McDonald (gig ) Brooks (Ave)

no towners in the best team mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back