Keegan back to the Geordies

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't this the problem at Newcastle?? Nobody gets the time to establish themselves, still do not think KK is any better than Allardyce as a manager however I don't think its the worst appointment in the world. KK is black and white through and through and the fans will be appeased.

And we get to use our Keegan chant again from the mid-90's, one of my all time faves :)

The thing is, Kevin Keegan will get the time.

Any other manager wouldn't.

Are they trying to kill the club from the inside or what? :thumbsdown:

Huh?

At least with Keegan the majority of the fans are pleased and we're all excited about the times ahead.

Cheer up Kevin Keegan?

Actually the Mags started the abusive Cheer Up song in response to Cheer Up Peter Reid at Anfield in 95/96 (I was at the game.)

Thinking of the 'f*ck em all, f*ck em all, Keegan, McDermott and Hall' chant.

Have to make a few alterations but I'm sure we will :)

After having a successful first stint at Everton, and then failing in his second, didn't Howard Kendall make a comment about, "You should never return to the ex-wife"?

I think there will be a short term bounce for Newcastle, and then they'll end up back in the sh(t as the short term glow fades.

Spot on. Doesn't take long to be out of touch.

This is a truly horrific decision by Newcastle. This is the same bloke who couldn't cut it with England because he himself admitted he wasn't up to it tactically. Even former players have laughed in interviews when asked what Keegan's tactics were...."just go out and score lads!"

They already look weak in defense, Keegan certainly not the man for fixing things up.

Will all end in tears.

The goals against column can't get much worse to be honest.

Don't really know how anyone can say it's a bad appointment (well I do), but his record is good:

1992-1997 Newcastle United - P251 W138 D51 L62 Winning % 54.98
1998-1999 Fulham - P61 W38 D12 L11 Winning % 62.29
1999-2000 England - P18 W7 D4 L7 % 38.89
2001-2005 Man City - P176 W77 D39 L60 % 43.75

Other than England, that's a very good record.

But I guess it's Newcastle, and no matter who we appoint is wrong... right?

I have my doubts about Keegan, but it's got everyone on Tyneside excited again, and at a time when everyone was down, it's got them all up.

Let's wait and see before we make judgements eh?

This is a truly horrific decision by Newcastle. This is the same bloke who couldn't cut it with England because he himself admitted he wasn't up to it tactically. Even former players have laughed in interviews when asked what Keegan's tactics were...."just go out and score lads!"

They already look weak in defense, Keegan certainly not the man for fixing things up.

I'll have to admit that I'm glad that Newcastle appointed Keegan this week rather than a week ago. I would have hated to see him take Newcastle to Old Trafford as I reckon we would have had a much tougher fight on our hands.

In Keegan's defence, he appears to be a reasonably good motivator of players. For about ten years, City were a joke when playing against United (in much the same way that Spurs fall apart when playing against Arsenal). But when Keegan took over, suddenly they went for United's throats and took plenty of points off us.

The goals against column can't get much worse to be honest.

Don't really know how anyone can say it's a bad appointment (well I do), but his record is good:

1992-1997 Newcastle United - P251 W138 D51 L62 Winning % 54.98
1998-1999 Fulham - P61 W38 D12 L11 Winning % 62.29
1999-2000 England - P18 W7 D4 L7 % 38.89
2001-2005 Man City - P176 W77 D39 L60 % 43.75

Other than England, that's a very good record.

The wins for Fulham were in lower division. Most of Man City wins were in CCC. And only because they had more $$$ to spend.

Ok, yes give him a chance, but to me the sign of a bad tactician/manager is someone who can't organise a defence, such as Keegan. Raa Raa motivation can only take you so far.

Owens comments in his autobiography about his time under Keegan in the international setup.

The striker hit out at Keegan’s disastrous reign as England boss and said at the time: “He seemed the complete package.

“But if it was for some players, it wasn’t for me. I assume the manager had conveyed to his staff what he thought of me and plainly it wasn’t complimentary.

“I felt I was being singled out, he needed a scapegoat. As soon as he said one negative thing about me it became a habit.

“I used to go into games believing the opposition was scared of me. That belief evaporated at times under Keegan.”

Bit's from a Telegraph article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/01/17/sfnnew317.xml. I was particularly looking for the quote about the last game he watched.

Man City 0 - 1 Bolton - 07 March, 2005. Nearly 3 years ago.

"I haven't watched a game of football since my last match at Manchester City," he said recently. "And I cannot even remember what that game was." If he needs reminding, it was a very un-Keegan footballing experience, a 1-0 home defeat to Bolton, who by one of those strange coincidences will be his first opponents on Saturday night.

Then, he appeared exhausted after four years in Manchester. He barely took training, appeared less and less at the club and his press conferences were filled with disillusioned shrugs.

The thing with KK is we get a guy who bleeds black and white, we have a guy who plays an attractive style of football that will have everyone of you guys here tuning to see Newcastle games, he will go for the best attacking talent available during the transfer windows. Bringing in footballers with flair and pace will be the norm, you can almost kiss goodbye the likes of Geremi,Smith,Barton,Cacapa etc from Newcastle they are not his type of footballers.

To me this is refreshing, we finnaly have someone who will just have a crack and try and win games of football. No more travelling to Derby and trying to escape with a point, we will also attack the Chelseas and Man Uniteds which could work either way. At least we have someone who wants to and believes we can win every game.

He has a great record so all this negative garbage alot of you are screaming is rubbish, he is a toon legend and for a toon legend to be steering the ship makes me happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha, what a joke of an appointment... keegan's done bugger all as a manager except spend a shitload cash and piss away the title when he had it in the bag. Newcastle would have been better off bringing in a continental manager and give him three-four years to completely rebuild the squad, because that's what it needs.

Expect the feel good factor to last a month or so, then expect the usual baying for mangerial blood on Tyneside to resume once Newcastle hasn't instantly been transformed into championship material, regardless of how much he's adored right now.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." That about sums up NUFC. Twelve months from now, the characters will change but the story will remain the same at St. James'

I cant wait to see what happens, it's exciting, and who really ever gets a proper 2nd chance, in anything let alone football, so I think it's great to see. It's really exciting!

Owens comments in his autobiography about his time under Keegan in the international setup.

Good.

Hopefully the over-rated, overpaid hack will leave.

haha, what a joke of an appointment... keegan's done bugger all as a manager except spend a shitload cash and piss away the title when he had it in the bag. Newcastle would have been better off bringing in a continental manager and give him three-four years to completely rebuild the squad, because that's what it needs.

Expect the feel good factor to last a month or so, then expect the usual baying for mangerial blood on Tyneside to resume once Newcastle hasn't instantly been transformed into championship material, regardless of how much he's adored right now.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." That about sums up NUFC. Twelve months from now, the characters will change but the story will remain the same at St. James'

Bugger all?

He's won the first division championship at his first season at every club he's been at.

It's only the first division, but now Fulham and Man City are punching their own in the premier league, and it's largely because of him.

Piss away the title? Now I'm not sure if you actually know about the season in question, or have just heard about it. But, we didn't have that bad of an end to the year to be honest, stopped winning away from home, but Man Utd won that title, we didn't lose it. Man Utd won something ridiculous like 13 out of the last 15 games.

Continental manager? Perhaps, but you nor I can say that. We'll have to see how this pans out, because at the moment no-one has a clue.

That line about the feel good factor is nonsense. KK is loved up in the North East, so he will get well more than a month to prove himself. Deschamps, Houllier etcetera would get far less time.

My only worry is that the fans will expect the good old days back immediately.

To be fair, that pretty much sums up Alex Ferguson's tactical approach.

And he hasn't done too badly.

THE KING HAS RETURNED!

WOW What a shock, out of nowhere but straight into my heart!

He will get backed financially, He will motivate the players, He will inspire the crowds, He will play attractive football, He will make this fun again!

I have dreamt of the Keegan era's for so long, let's hope those days return.

I would of prefered Bilic or Deschamps but wow, I am so excited, if one guy is suited to the Newcastle Position it is Kevin Keegan.

NEWCASTLE IS BACK BABY!

The thing with KK is we get a guy who bleeds black and white, we have a guy who plays an attractive style of football that will have everyone of you guys here tuning to see Newcastle games, he will go for the best attacking talent available during the transfer windows. Bringing in footballers with flair and pace will be the norm, you can almost kiss goodbye the likes of Geremi,Smith,Barton,Cacapa etc from Newcastle they are not his type of footballers.

To me this is refreshing, we finnaly have someone who will just have a crack and try and win games of football. No more travelling to Derby and trying to escape with a point, we will also attack the Chelseas and Man Uniteds which could work either way. At least we have someone who wants to and believes we can win every game.

He has a great record so all this negative garbage alot of you are screaming is rubbish, he is a toon legend and for a toon legend to be steering the ship makes me happy.

Optimist much?

A peep-show janitor's mop is a better manager than Allardyce.

i wouldnt be so quick to knock big sam

Bolton were a always a threat to finish anywhere from 4th-7th under him. Immediately after his depature we are fighting to avoid relegation.

Newcastle have been rubbish for years, so nothing really changed there:p

i would argue the opposite. the mop cupboard is better than sjp :D

seriously though, big move for newcastle. will be fairytale if they manage to climb to mid-table. very unclear what would happen re: the fans opinion of keegan if they slip into relegation...

At the end of the day, Mike Ashley/Chris Mort/Kevin Keegan and everyone else associated with Newcastle don't really care what other people think of the appointment.

What they care about is the reaction amongst the Newcastle fans, and 80% of them are very happy about the appointment.

What they care about is the reaction amongst the Newcastle fans, and 80% of them are very happy about the appointment.

I think the supporters should have a voice and should be listened to. But just how much of a voice is another question, as a large number of them are clueless about the game.

IMO a lot of the mistakes the Geordies have made over the years have been borne out of a desire to please the Geordie public. It was why Owen was signed on ridiculous wages and transfer fee. It's the only logical explanation why KK is back at the club right now.

Sooner or later Ashley and Mort will learn what every other owner/director of a football club knows. As great as your teams supporters are, and as important as they can be to the success of the club, there are many occasions when they should just be flat out ignored, and decisions be made with the mind and not the heart. Hope this isn't one of them.

Despite all the above I am looking forward to KK's comeback this week. I think the mood has lifted a huge amount up in the NE, and that will help the team. Bolton going up there at the worst possible time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keegan back to the Geordies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back