SA1NTER

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Rams, Rangers, Red Sox, Hornets
I know how much it sucks to lose but look at the positives. More experence under your belt, and you looked better this week compaired to last.

Keep your heads up. :thumbsu:

I know how much it sucks to lose but look at the positives. More experence under your belt, and you looked better this week compaired to last.

Keep your heads up. :thumbsu:

This. :thumbsu: Agreed. Huge improvement for us over last week. Gorringe did way better than Fraser I reckon. We even lost by a score less than Brisbane did! :D

Hopefully we can keep improving at this rate and be a competitor by round 10 or so. A guy can dream! Haha.

You guys will improve incrementally game by game, don't hang your heads. I'm getting annoyed by the knee-jerk reactions about the margins of your losses all over BF but I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll win games this season.

You guys will improve incrementally game by game, don't hang your heads. I'm getting annoyed by the knee-jerk reactions about the margins of your losses all over BF but I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll win games this season.

Yeah. I'm a little confused at the huge reactions too. Everyone believes we're going to be losing by massive 100+ scores every week for some reason? Granted, we are playing youngsters, but they're the best in the country. This shows that we're definitely on the way up, and only on our second game too. Some guys seemed to get better AS they played. Swallow, Prestia, and Gorringe come to mind.

We'll definitely be on the low end of the ladder, but I'm confident our losses won't be epic 100+'s all the time.

Agree with other posters. Keep your heads up. Watched dogs v brisbane last week and you will definitely give them a run.

I was impressed with a few of your guys like Dixon, Prestia, and Smith. They have good size about them.

I went to the game purely for the reason to see history in the making...the first game in Melbourne of the new club...I was there to support them as I will be every time I see them play either in person or when watching them on the box...glad to see the game expanding...
Anyway, it was good to see them improve on last weeks effort and they did it by a mile...the Bulldogs ran rings around them most of the time but the Suns did play some good passages that kept the score down...and it was interesting to be in the crowd and listen to the Bulldog supporters whinge...I mean you get it every week but this was by far the worst I have heard...the doggies were up by about 50 points at one stage and the Suns got a free in front of goal and the crowd erupted in unison and called for the umpires head...man, what a bunch of losers!!! And it didnt end there...it kept on going...I was glad when the final siren went and the players shook hands and all congregated in the middle and caught up...maybe some of those in the crowd could have looked on and taken it in :rolleyes:

I wish the team all the best for the rest of the season and look forward to their first win...may it come soon....

cheers

col

I went to the game purely for the reason to see history in the making...the first game in Melbourne of the new club...I was there to support them as I will be every time I see them play either in person or when watching them on the box...glad to see the game expanding...
Anyway, it was good to see them improve on last weeks effort and they did it by a mile...the Bulldogs ran rings around them most of the time but the Suns did play some good passages that kept the score down...and it was interesting to be in the crowd and listen to the Bulldog supporters whinge...I mean you get it every week but this was by far the worst I have heard...the doggies were up by about 50 points at one stage and the Suns got a free in front of goal and the crowd erupted in unison and called for the umpires head...man, what a bunch of losers!!! And it didnt end there...it kept on going...I was glad when the final siren went and the players shook hands and all congregated in the middle and caught up...maybe some of those in the crowd could have looked on and taken it in :rolleyes:

I wish the team all the best for the rest of the season and look forward to their first win...may it come soon....

cheers

col

cheers brokey!:thumbsu:
Hope we can be a lot of people's "Holiday" club( the club you support when your club isn't playing)
funny about the Bulldogs supporters..I've always had a soft spot for the club, but I reckon their supporters are more feral than the Woods

it was interesting to be in the crowd and listen to the Bulldog supporters whinge...I mean you get it every week but this was by far the worst I have heard...the doggies were up by about 50 points at one stage and the Suns got a free in front of goal and the crowd erupted in unison and called for the umpires head...man, what a bunch of losers!!!

funny about the Bulldogs supporters..I've always had a soft spot for the club, but I reckon their supporters are more feral than the Woods

No arguments with those sentiments from me. :D:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all just a matter of time, its not going to weeks but years unfortunately and supporters need to realise this. Supporters have to think about the big picture, it takes years to build experience and size into a young group of players.

If we can walk away with 4-6 wins this season, mission accomplished successfully and a great first year as an AFL club. Aim for 8-12 wins next year and the club will continue to gather momentum and supporters and then by year 3 when our 18 year old players are 21 year olds, with bigger bodies, 50+ AFL games each under their belt, 15+ wins for the season is well within grasp, and finals football is easily achievable.

We have the best young list of players in the league thanks to the AFLs draft system last year, and it is inevitable that when they mature in a few years we are going to have a very strong side for many years. We just need to continue supporting them during the early days, and I guarantee we will be rewarded with strongs finals results in 2014 and beyond!

Anyone who is concerned this early on doesnt understand how the system works.

Bock, Ablett, Brennan and Rissa will be 28-30

when Swallow, Dixon, Toy, Weller, Bennell, Day, Matera, Smith, Gorringe, Tape and Prestia will be 22 and hitting their powers

There is nothing to be concerned about, heading absolutely in the right direction and will have a few wins this year :thumbsu:

Anyone who is concerned this early on doesnt understand how the system works.

Bock, Ablett, Brennan and Rissa will be 28-30

when Swallow, Dixon, Toy, Weller, Bennell, Day, Matera, Smith, Gorringe, Tape and Prestia will be 22 and hitting their powers

There is nothing to be concerned about, heading absolutely in the right direction and will have a few wins this year :thumbsu:

Won't some of these be traded out when the contracts run out? I imagine that when they hit their stride, they're going to be offered some serious cash to leave the Suns. Wouldn't surprise me if they jumped ship.

Wouldn't surprise me if they jumped ship.

wow , 2 games in and people have our players jumping ship.
Has it happened at Brisbane?
Doesn't ever really happen , not even to the WA/SA clubs
Everyone fears it, but the reality is it rarely happens, and when it does it's headline news
There will be no mass exodus.

wow , 2 games in and people have our players jumping ship.
Has it happened at Brisbane?
Doesn't ever really happen , not even to the WA/SA clubs
Everyone fears it, but the reality is it rarely happens, and when it does it's headline news
There will be no mass exodus.

I'm not 'having' players jump ship. :rolleyes: It'd be awesome if they stayed!

But as Brisbane, didn't they just lose Sherman, Risk and Brennan? Traded when their contracts expired. I just could see the same thing happening with Swallow, Matera, or maybe even Smith. Especially when they hit their stride and become superstars.

To be honest, I don't know the details on how the whole trading thing works. I switch off when the footy season ends. But I'll take your word for it, Sandy Toes. If it doesn't happen much if at all, then no worries. :D

Sunny the Lions lost those players due to poor list management, Fev and US!! Sherman wasn't really a loss at all. Rischa was pissed off after being offered up as trade bait for Fev and Brennan asked for way overs what he's really worth (and we paid for it - good help is hard to find and it's a sellers market these days :eek:).
We may lose two or three over the next 7 - 10 years but the way the draft and trade system works we should be adequately compensated with draft picks and or players. If the club looks after the players well and they're happy here and we start to enjoy success, I can't see us losing any that we don't want to lose until after we've won a couple a flags. The contracts for our experienced players (Ablett, Bock, Rischi, Brennan etc.) are most likely heavily front-loaded meaning we'll have heaps of cap space in the years ahead to hang onto the players we want to stay.

Sunny the Lions lost those players due to poor list management, Fev and US!! Sherman wasn't really a loss at all. Rischa was pissed off after being offered up as trade bait for Fev and Brennan asked for way overs what he's really worth (and we paid for it - good help is hard to find and it's a sellers market these days :eek:).
We may lose two or three over the next 7 - 10 years but the way the draft and trade system works we should be adequately compensated with draft picks and or players. If the club looks after the players well and they're happy here and we start to enjoy success, I can't see us losing any that we don't want to lose until after we've won a couple a flags. The contracts for our experienced players (Ablett, Bock, Rischi, Brennan etc.) are most likely heavily front-loaded meaning we'll have heaps of cap space in the years ahead to hang onto the players we want to stay.

Thanks for that, SunGod. :thumbsu: Cleared a few things up!

Much improved effort from last week, you guys have a young list so you'll take your lumps but I'm excited to see their development over the next few years. I'll be cheering for your boys whenever you aren't playing the Bombers :)

We are getting better, thats what needs to happen and by near end of year we should have a few wins under the belt.

Lets face it, against Carlton we had so many unexperienced players, against Dogs they improved greatly and by next week we should be able to give Melbourne a run for there money and then defeat the team that no one watches (Port Adelaide) the round after that or be close to defeating them.

We have a young side with a lack of any experience only a handful of players and by what I saw against the Dogs who are tipped to go far, we gave them a damn good fight in the first three quaters but it seems by the 4th we were tired and out of it.

I still expect us to go further than Port, Brisbane and Richmond this year.

Did better than Brisbane, that's a good sign!

Improved efforts all over I think, Coad inclusion was a big one and helped. Tape still has a lot to prove IMO, others should get a go (aka Toy). Smith is going to be an amazing ruckman. Fraser going to have to work hard to get his spot now I think with Gorringe looking athletic around the ground!

Did better than Brisbane, that's a good sign!

Improved efforts all over I think, Coad inclusion was a big one and helped. Tape still has a lot to prove IMO, others should get a go (aka Toy). Smith is going to be an amazing ruckman. Fraser going to have to work hard to get his spot now I think with Gorringe looking athletic around the ground!

Agreed, Gorringe and Smith are both exceeding my expectations at this early stage. Dixon had a shocker but will be better for the run, if he watches the tapes this week he was clearly beating his opponent to the ball, it was perceived pressure that saw him drop so many marks.

I think our biggest issue for the year is who is going to kick our goals as Dixon and Matera can't do it all. Gorringe and Smith rotating between Ruck and FF will help but we need another crumbing player with real gol sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep Your Heads Up Guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back