Keiren McGuiness

Remove this Banner Ad

KMac is only 21. We need to all remember this. He debuted early in his career and was impressive playing under Wallace. Under Rhode he has stagnated and has only had limited opportunities. I have't seen enough of him to say either way, though my belief is that he would be a good player out of the square as a leading full forward because he has pretty good hands and is a strong player and a good kick for goal. His size and shape remind me a lot of Piggy Dunstall. For mine the recruiting of Rawlings last year didn't help, and the fact that he is continually played in the backline at Werribee is also a problem. At 21 I think he deserves a chance this year to show his stuff.

I wasn't long ago that people were writing off Wayde Skipper, even Axe wanted to drop him to the Werribee 2's, but since given a call up by Rocket, has certaintly taken his chance so far, especially last week against the Roo's with Hale giving Minson a paste up.

Even though i don't think K-Mac has the intensity needed at AFL level, i would like him given the same chance by Rocket for a period of time in the senior team like McMahon, Power, Skipper, Morgan etc.

Rookie said:
He's been on our list as long as Giansiracusa and Rob Murphy, and he hasn't shown a lot.

He has been at the club 2 years less than those guys.

However that is not enough to keep him safe. From an outside view he looks in massive trouble, but as has been mentioned, 3 weeks ago so did Skipper. Will just come down to whether Rocket and the others think he has continued improvement in him, can see a spot in the team for him at some point in the future. He certainly showed a bit in his early games for the club, so hopefully he does have a future.

KMac has shown he has the ability to be a senior player. For whatever reason he does not always get the best out of himself - though I would not label that as lacking intensity and do not believe it is laziness, as others have suggested. He has not been given the opportunities that others in similar situations have been given. I think that given the opportunities and some Rocket magic he is capable of succeeding in the 'seniors'.

Rookie said:
Is he a dead man walking, is his career over? Unless he can show something soon, I reckon he is a surety to be delisted.

Yep.

Rookie said:
If he's going to crack a senior debut this year, what position will it be?

Senior debut v Essendon in the drawn game in 2002. Kicked 3 goals.

Rookie said:
He's been on our list as long as Giansiracusa and Rob Murphy, and he hasn't shown a lot.

Nope. He was drafted in 2001, 2 years after Gia and Murph.

Fossie 32 said:
KMac has shown he has the ability to be a senior player. For whatever reason he does not always get the best out of himself - though I would not label that as lacking intensity and do not believe it is laziness, as others have suggested. He has not been given the opportunities that others in similar situations have been given. I think that given the opportunities and some Rocket magic he is capable of succeeding in the 'seniors'.
hope he can get a game this week and show us all a thing or 2

For reasons unknown, it was decided to transform this guy from a promising leading forward with a good turn of pace into yet another running half back. Fair to say the success of this has been somewhat limited. He looks hesitant and completely uncomfortable in the games I've seen him at HB. It's not as if we don't have an over-abundance of running half backs in our squad already.

What the hell, let's try him as our leading forward for 3 weeks in a row. At 190cm with good pace and a reasonbly sound kicking action, he's very much worth a punt there. Frees up Johnson and Murphy to be more damaging up the ground. Add Street as the long bomb option in the square and you never know. A bit of unpredictability is what we sorely lack up forward. The only real time we changed the formation was against Adelaide and we kicked 9 goals in 30 mins. I think McGuiness should be given one more crack at the seniors to see once and for all if he has any future worth to our side.

Sedat! said:
What the hell, let's try him as our leading forward for 3 weeks in a row. At 190cm with good pace and a reasonbly sound kicking action, he's very much worth a punt there. Frees up Johnson and Murphy to be more damaging up the ground. Add Street as the long bomb option in the square and you never know. A bit of unpredictability is what we sorely lack up forward. The only real time we changed the formation was against Adelaide and we kicked 9 goals in 30 mins. I think McGuiness should be given one more crack at the seniors to see once and for all if he has any future worth to our side.

Agreed. We would be a much better team if we could find someone to hold down ff (at least until Darcy comes back :)) so it's worth giving Kmac a decent chance.

Raw Toast said:
Agreed. We would be a much better team if we could find someone to hold down ff (at least until Darcy comes back :)) so it's worth giving Kmac a decent chance.
He is actually the exact sort of player we need to find to sit alongside Darcy in the goal square for next season.We need a Kent Kingsley type to attract the ball on the lead and leave Darcy one out in the square.Not sure whether K-Mac is that man but I am sure Eade is going to have a look at him up forward before the seasons end.

As has been pointed out when he started he looked a very natural full forward.The timing of his leads and positioning were the features of his play and since then he has pretty much played as a defender.I am sceptical because I am not sure that someone can go from an average VFL player to a good AFL player purely through a positional change.Will have to wait and see but at the very least I think he will be more confident at full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a K-Mac fan and I believe he has something to offer up forward.

I think he will play seniors simply because Eade will want to see everybody at some stage in the seniors before he makes decisions at seasons end.

K- Mac is very difficult to match up on and if his not in this week then another good solid performance at Werribee he may be in the week after, but once he is in I would like to see him played for a month with a good amount of ground time.

I've posted before that KMac reminds me very much of a Jason Dunstall type player (obviously not quite as gifted) and that we shuld have been playing him as a key forward. He has everything you want from a "leading" full forward.....quick off the mark, good hands, good kicking action. I hope he plays this week.

Not having seen him play for a long time I can't offer my opinion on him, however from the more recent posts it seems like he has something to offer the team. It seems like that he had not been given a fair go under our previous "illustrious" leader. However, it has taken 11 games for him to be picked in the squad this year and this is still no guarantee of him playing.

From the reports by Ben re: the Werribee games it doesn't sound like he has been setting the world on fire - i believe he has been playing a few of the games down back.

I am playing a bit of the devil's advocate here but why all of a sudden would he be the player who may solve our FF problems? Surely he would have set the world on fire at the B's if he was the answer to our problem. Are we being a bit premature on our assessment on him as this is based purely on hope rather than anything he has really done in the past, apart from maybe one or two performances.

I hope that he is the answer to our forward problems, but i am certainly not pinning my hopes on this.

whythelongface said:
Not having seen him play for a long time I can't offer my opinion on him, however from the more recent posts it seems like he has something to offer the team. It seems like that he had not been given a fair go under our previous "illustrious" leader. However, it has taken 11 games for him to be picked in the squad this year and this is still no guarantee of him playing.

From the reports by Ben re: the Werribee games it doesn't sound like he has been setting the world on fire - i believe he has been playing a few of the games down back.

I am playing a bit of the devil's advocate here but why all of a sudden would he be the player who may solve our FF problems? Surely he would have set the world on fire at the B's if he was the answer to our problem. Are we being a bit premature on our assessment on him as this is based purely on hope rather than anything he has really done in the past, apart from maybe one or two performances.

I hope that he is the answer to our forward problems, but i am certainly not pinning my hopes on this.

I dont think he will answer our full forward problems, BUT I think as a third forward option next to Grant,Walsh,Jade or a bigger forward K-Mac would have the ability to cause problems for opposition sides, he is hard to match up on.

whythelongface said:

I don't think any of us are, but we would like to know definitively whether or not he can cut the mustard in the AFL. Personally, I think he is going through the motions off half back when we have so many other better options there. He did show something as a leading forward very early in his career, and he could prove his worth there once again if given the opportunity. I'm sure Eade will give him a chance to prove his worth as an AFL footballer in the 2nd half of the season. if he doesn't grasp the opportunity, the red line will surely go through his name at the end of the season.

Sedat! said:
I don't think any of us are, but we would like to know definitively whether or not he can cut the mustard in the AFL. Personally, I think he is going through the motions off half back when we have so many other better options there. He did show something as a leading forward very early in his career, and he could prove his worth there once again if given the opportunity. I'm sure Eade will give him a chance to prove his worth as an AFL footballer in the 2nd half of the season. if he doesn't grasp the opportunity, the red line will surely go through his name at the end of the season.

I agree that he does offer us some hope as a forward option, based purely on the limited number of times that I have seen of him and the opinions of those BF posters who have seen him down at Werribee. He could become part of a forward line structure based around Darcy over the next few years. Like an earlier poster said if he is a player in the mould of a Kent Kingsley then he could become a potent weapon. We need someone who can kick 3 to 4 goals a game who necessarily isn't our key target up forward. Imagine having Murphy and McGuiness kicking 3 to 4 goals a game as well as having a strong FF such as Darcy who maybe able to kick a bagful every other game.

If he is good enough let's hope that he does take these opportunities - I hope then that Eade does play him on the forward line. I can't see any reason why he would play him off the half back flank as we already have numerous options. I wonder if he is ahead of Bowden as far as this weekend is concerned?

K Mac is a no3 no4 forward
aforward line of next year should read
Hf Bowden Rawlings R Murphy
ff K Mac L Darcy E Darcy ( i hope)/Johno

2 real big talls
2 190 cm talls
1 skillfull strong marking player
1 super quick forward

Freaky - have I stumbled into an alternate universe with all these nice comments about KMac?

Good luck if you get a game Keiran - lets hope its a good one.

:p

I remember the last game of 2002 against Collingwood, Kmac & Grant, Fantastic

If you think back to that game, you will know he has potential

TADS said:
I remember the last game of 2002 against Collingwood, Kmac & Grant, Fantastic

If you think back to that game, you will know he has potential

Was thinking about this game the other day and the hug he and Grand had as they combined to clear out of defence and we kicked a goal...

Things looked so rosey then...

Dohh!!

"But Kieran McGuinness will remain in the VFL after he was initially named in the 25-man squad."

Back to reality....unless Robbo doen't pull up????

K-Mac or Bowdo

These two guys play a very similar game and position.. it would be hard to have both of them in the team while you have the likes of Morgan, Ralwings and Grant in the team...
Although McGuiness is 21 and Bowdo is 23...
Both have shown great potential in areas..

Remove this Banner Ad

Keiren McGuiness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back