Opinion Ken Hinkley Envy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always said Kenny was the architect behind 07 onwards. Was his gameplan so I've read, not Bombers. No surprise looking at Essendon/Port this year...

Always said Kenny was the architect behind 07 onwards. Was his gameplan so I've read, not Bombers. No surprise looking at Essendon/Port this year...
Where have you all read this theory?

Such an honest coach. A great story is when Hinkley first arrived at the club he found a toilet roll on the ground, he called in all the playing group and told them that was the last time he was to see one on the ground.The message was to respect all staff at the club, from the cleaners to the CEO.

In another world, Bomber T would have left after 2009, allowing Kenny to come in for 2010. Ablett would have stayed, we would have won 2010 and 2011.

Chris Scott would have led Freo to the 2013 Flag, meaning Hawthorn and Collingwood would have won nothing! And Ross Lyon would be unemployed.

Anyhow, back in the real world, love what Hinkley is doing. Great to see Geelong people doing well even for another side.

Geelong interviewed him and he had all the respect from the playing group, but he did sign with Gold Coast at the end of 2009 and i guess no one anticipated Mark Thompson's "burn out" in 2010? Hinkley would've been the perfect replacement. Scott will be well tested in the next 12 months as the stocks are not being replenished well enough, this finals series has exposed Geelong's young guns to be firing blanks. Geelong are going to need a lot more than James Frawley to keep their heads above 10th in the next couple of seasons. I don't think Chris Scott is the man to take them to a new level.

[QUOTE="Bobby_, post: 35052231, member: 148375"]Not envious of Hinkley, envious of their team as it's very easy to forget but this current Port Adelaide squad is comprised of many top draft picks. . . Hartlett, Wines, Lobbe, Wingard, Boak, Trengove, Moore, Butcher (bust), Pittard, Wingard and all of them, bar Butcher, are in the starting eighteen.

Credit where it's though as it takes a quality individual to get the best out of that lot which is exactly what Hinkley has done but they were forced to play majority of them from day one as the club was dead-set bottom and could only go upwards, no matter how poor some of those draft selections may have turned out to be.
Luckily for Port's sake, they all look to be gun footballers which has made it a little easier to raise the bar with the rest of their list (regards to pre season training etc).
If the Cats completely bottomed out for a period of 2-3 years, we'd obviously have ourselves a few top 10 picks.

The loss of Ablett for essentially our compo pick + the greatest midfielder of all time in return for Caddy (Smedts looks like a lost cause) hurts. It will continue to do so in the long-term unless the Suns compensation pick turns out to be a complete dud or Smedts begins to live upto that junior footy potential.[/QUOTE]

Spot on Bobby - Hinkley is getting all the credit - but who was the Pt Adelaide recruiting officer who has picked all those guys - whoever he is - he has done a fantastic job - and deserves alot of credit - yet hes never mentioned

Wells is well recognised at Geelong for the great job he has done in the recruitment area - i think the Pt Adelaide guy should get alot of credit as well

White and Polec have been fantastic recruits - Hinkley would have had a fair say in that - but you would have to be on the inside to actually know

Recruiting talent -thats the name of the game

Football coaches are like Racehorse trainers - give Bart Cummings a Stony Creek maiden horse -and youd still have a Stony Creek maiden performer- not a Melb Cup horse - No Way

Under CS, we have finished 1, 7, 3, 5. --Very ODD that people are complaining. Sorry about that, but....
Everybody has predicted we are going to slide given the system that determines draft picks, who and where we play, and critical retirements, and INJURIES to guns.
Yet we played in 2 finals again this year.
And people think CS is NOT the man to lead us through troubled times????
The best fit for our CLUB. Classy, intelligent, thoughtful, well spoken, excelllent communicator, and his players love him.
If I had my way, keep him until he recognises he is burnt out.
Hinkley has some amazing talent at his disposal- how would Geelong be with Hartnett, Gray, Wingard, Polec, Wines, Lobbe, any one of those- they were not due to Hinkley.

Last edited:
Under CS, we have finished 1, 7, 3, 5. --Very ODD that people are complaining. Sorry about that, but....
Everybody has predicted we are going to slide given the system that determines draft picks, who and where we play, and critical retirements, and INJURIES to guns.
The best fit for our CLUB. Classy, intelligent, thoughtful, well spoken, excelllent communicator, and his players love him.
Hinkley has some amazing talent at his disposal- how would Geelong be with Hartnett, Gray, Wingard, Polec, Wines, Lobbe, any one of those- they were not due to Hinkley.

This x 10. Chris Scott can stay as long as he wants in my view. A few cats supporters getting a bit used to success, I think.

just a question for the Cats people, do you attribute the 2011 premiership to Scott? as an outsider i attribute it to the playing group, i think they really wanted to prove they could win a premiership without ablett more than anything, i think Scott was no more than a figurehead that year, i guess Scott coaching abilities will be really tested over the next 2 years

I don't really have Ken Hinkley envy, just glad for the guy that he is getting some deserved success.

Good coach, good playing list, playing good footy.

It would be a delight if the Power could take out Hawthorn.

just a question for the Cats people, do you attribute the 2011 premiership to Scott? as an outsider i attribute it to the playing group, i think they really wanted to prove they could win a premiership without ablett more than anything, i think Scott was no more than a figurehead that year, i guess Scott coaching abilities will be really tested over the next 2 years

The players themselves said scotty was perfect for that year and didn't put a foot wrong all season. That he was a huge reason they won.
Should answer the question id say.

I respect Kenny for what he is doing for PA. And as an ex Geelong player and coach he will always have that place for me.

And his success makes me happy for him. He has a great list right now that he can continue to shape and mold and should do very well with.

All that applies right up until he plays Geelong.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cant get behind this point of view in any way, shape or form... if the team as it stood with ablett couldnt 'coach itself' to the 2010 flag, how on earth did they just suddenly do it in 2011 without ablett?

i would attribute it equally between the players and the coaches. good list, tweaked game plan due to the previous version being cracked open... success to and from all involved.

'Kenvy' is a direct symptom of grass is greener syndrome, and the fact that they remind everyone of the Cats' halcyon days when they were younger, fresher, everyone was still together (Lingy, Gaz, Scarlo, Moons etc) and all was rosy. The fact is that the two teams could not be in more different positions right now, and the two coaches were from the outset tasked with very different directives.

I'm a major admirer of Ken as a coach - one of the more remarkable feats being that he has made Port of all teams bearable. I never thought I'd ever cheer for the bogan brigade, but there you are. Still think CS is the right coach for Geelong and will be for many a year in the foreseeable future.

Thanks boys for Ken! Though, I wonder how we would have fared if we wound up with Scott instead of Primus.

Scott was probably the only person in the entire country who had faith in our list circa 2011.

2007 same deal, thank Chappy, Mooney.
Who needs a coach?
I actually believe CS had a significant impact on that playing group, that had been written off in 2010 as too old too slow etc.

Fans disagreeing or questioning the decisions of the club or Chris Scott is perfectly normal and its not the same as wanting him sacked.
He's the right guy for the job and the knock on Hinkley and Sanderson was they were too close to the players - that they were the brains behind bomber and all their ideas had been implemented anyway.
Scott was a man of fresh ideas who made the hard decisions on veterans

Fans disagreeing or questioning the decisions of the club or Chris Scott is perfectly normal and its not the same as wanting him sacked.
He's the right guy for the job and the knock on Hinkley and Sanderson was they were too close to the players - that they were the brains behind bomber and all their ideas had been implemented anyway.
Scott was a man of fresh ideas who made the hard decisions on veterans
Agree, but there are several who want him gone, or not the man for the job.

Chris Scott's game plan both offensively and defensively does NOT work against the good teams anymore and unless he changes it and becomes more proactive then we will start to drop

Chris Scott's game plan both offensively and defensively does NOT work against the good teams anymore and unless he changes it and becomes more proactive then we will start to drop
That should read TEAM.
We have multiple injuries, and ageing champions, and younger players who are not quite there yet.
That gives us a team capable of low top 8 finish this year, not top 4. We are where we deserve to be given the status of our list, nothing to blame CS for.
What were you saying when we finished 17-5, equal with Haw/Syd, despite looking clearly inferior all year?
And we have beaten NM-4th, Haw -2nd, Freo - 5th, Ess-7th, Rich - 8th, during the year. Still very commendable.
And, we will start to drop anyway, better get used to it, whether we had CS, Clarko, or Bomber.

Last edited:
That should read TEAM.
We have multiple injuries, and ageing champions, and younger players who are not quite there yet.
That gives us a team capable of low top 8 finish this year, not top 4. We are where we deserve to be given the status of our list, nothing to blame CS for.
What were you saying when we finished 17-5, equal with Haw/Syd, despite looking clearly inferior all year?
And we have beaten NM-4th, Haw -2nd, Freo - 5th, Ess-7th, Rich - 8th, during the year. Still very commendable.
And, we will start to drop anyway, better get used to it, whether we had CS, Clarko, or Bomber.
1 final win in 3 years against an inexperienced Port Adelaide in Melbourne with a fairly similar team says to me that things need to change!
We were very lucky to finish with 17 wins and if you think any different then you are just being nieve.
Good teams have worked out how we play and how to beat us and it's Chris Scott's job to adapt because we still have the cattle in my opinion but haven't been utilised correctly; bold changes need to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back