Key Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Kunna17

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Obviously there's a bit of talk about Franklin and Taylor. Neither of these guys are guaranteed though or eve likely. If we don't get these guys who would you be looking at, I've noticed Gumbleton seems to be playing alright for Essendon. Who do you guys think as we MUST grab a key-forward this off-season.

I have been asking a number of people this question!

In my opinion - Franklin is just testing the market to get fair contract pricing, and I dont see why Harry Taylor would leave Geelong ...

Gumbleton - would have to be fit and missing games / opportunities at Essendon to want to leave, as he knocked back offers last season to stay.

Black kicked 5 goals last weekend in the VFL last week, but still hasnt been sighted near the league team ...

Frawley - would be handy. Not sure what Melbourne would want?

Watts - if Ross had a chat with him and believed he had fire in his belly to do the hard work, I would be all for it.

Petrie - maybe. Doubt he would leave norf

Grant - dont want, not key position

Others??? Pears / Hooker

I reckon our best options are Black and Watts, without selling the farm. But would love Harry Taylor at the club but think that is a dream...

Grant, Watts, Black - All undersized or underdeveloped. If Black is a tall forward, we can put Mundy there because they record the same height. We have a midfield that could fill an undersized forward role. Fyfe, Morabito, Barlow etc can stand up forward.

What's the story with Butcher?

Well, Fyfe, Mora and Barlow are all midfielders. Black at least is a "tall" forward. Pav is only 191cm by the way. Height isn't the only criteria. Knowing what he's doing up forward helps. And putting him there doesn't take key players out of our midfield.

Undersized key forward is a legit argument against picking him up. And fair enough.

But don't confuse the issue by saying we may as well take important mids and plug them in up forward.

Well, Fyfe, Mora and Barlow are all midfielders. Black at least is a "tall" forward. Pav is only 191cm by the way. Height isn't the only criteria. Knowing what he's doing up forward helps. And putting him there doesn't take key players out of our midfield.

Undersized key forward is a legit argument against picking him up. And fair enough.

But don't confuse the issue by saying we may as well take important mids and plug them in up forward.

I agree with you, a genuine key forward is what we need, not to shift out midfield into fix-it medium forwards. I made a terrible effort of explaining it.
I hold out hope that there is another VFL/WAFL/SANFL mature aged key forward similar to Podsiadly floating around.

Alternatively, I really like Petrie. He will only play for us for a few years but we have those three years to get Taberner up to weight. We won't have to give up the farm to get him and he is a quality contested mark, can play forward/back/ruck and would make our team better playing in Keps spot.

I don't think this city is big enough for Lynch to have come to us, the media would be all over him, Eagle's fans would be (wrongly) giving him a hard time but damn... he would be really good right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of the above comments just show there aren't many around that we would have a real chance with ... Time to start drafting quality talls with high picks and hope they come through ...

There's nothing wrong with Zac Clarke physically that would make you think he can't be it. If only he had the mental gumption to stick with it at a high level.

Front runners like Petrie? Hell no.

Absolutely. But the path of rolling the dice and picking KP's is well documented with failures. What we need is someone who has been in the system for a little while, is underperforming for whatever reason or looking to return home ...

We don't seem to get much of that go-home factor. It would be the only way we would ever have a chance of getting Harry Taylor

It's an argument that's been done to death on here in the past.

But I honestly see, (and always have), Morabito as a CHF.

He has the body for it, does he have the strong clean hands and ability to play as a forward though.
From what i have seen he is a ball chaser, does not look a natural forward to me.
Fyfe would do a far better job than Mora.

Of all the available players coming out of contract.
Watts would be the best option and cheapest deal.
Franklin no chance, Taylor no chance and do not rate him as a key forward, he is like Mcpharlin great when it suprises opposition and they have no idea who to put on him, when they are ready for it he is easily stopped by defenders.
Taylor in last game suprised opposition and had no opponent, so closest had to leave his man to try and defend him, have a set opponent for him and he will struggle.
Watts has the tools its whether he has the mindset that is the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Key Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back