Kiwis!

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been a good week for the Warriors

$21 million gift from the local council for a stadium redevelopment

Exclusive 10 year exemption given to the Warriors to compete in the NRL competition, while everybody else has to survive on a maximum of only 3.

Another pretender has just been shown up on their own home ground.

When the Warriors win it all will the Storm be forced to move to New Zealand to level the playing field by 'weakening' the Warriors. :cool:

Originally posted by Player

Exclusive 10 year exemption given to the Warriors to compete in the NRL competition, while everybody else has to survive on a maximum of only 3.

When the Warriors win it all will the Storm be forced to move to New Zealand to level the playing field by 'weakening' the Warriors. :cool:

:mad: Don't you dare talk up the Storm moving or I will get so mad, even if you are joking:cool:

Well after Matty Rua leaves us at the end of the year, we will have to pinch some more Kiwis from the Warriors to make up more numbers....

AND if you move the Storm, where would all the ex-pat Kiwis watch their league......they will be absolutely furious! Because many don't just follow the Storm but come to see the Warriors in Melb......might be their only chance!

Now in doubt

Knocked back to 5 years, putting the $21 million in doubt

One out of three aint bad

Don't worry about the future of the Storm, Ms. Storm. They will just have to wait their turn for the Warriors to smash them like everybody else.

Actually on reflection this does annoy me.

The Auckland Regional Council wants to:
(a) spend $21 million on renovating the Warriors home ground, building a new covered stand, 'mini' supporters clubs and lounges, and ultra modern purpose built training facilities for a league team.

(b) reorganise the City-wide public transportation system including rail and bus, for the benefit of Warriors games.

But they intended the financial commitment to be conditional on the Warriors receiving a 10 year licence to compete, hardly an onerous obligation I would have thought.

Now because they only received a 5 year licence the whole deal is in doubt, specifically the scale of hte investment.

Is there still doubt in Australia that the Warriors will be in the competition in 10 years, being one of only six teams presently making any money in all.

I guess money for nothing isn't good enough for some people, seriously WTF is wrong with the fishheads that run this game.

Talking about redeveloping......

Seriously something has to be done to Olympic Park....as not only Storm play there, but its also an official track for aths and also at times soccer and rugby union is played there.....

It would be such an attraction to Melb. to develop this ground.....there is so much space there and of course, this would enhance Storm's chances of drawing more people to the ground.....

At the moment its not too bad, but if the Minister of AFL (should read Sports) for Victoria (Mr. UnJustin Madden....who just happens to be an ex afl player!!) would just realize that we as the sporting capital of Australia should embrace all footy codes and sports and he better do something about it! AND THAT INCLUDES MR. LACKS (I.E. Bracks) (who just happens to be a Geelong supporter) who just recently approved a loan to the Geelong FC (afl) for renovations to their ground.

No wonder people have conspiracy theories against the afl and how they blanket the game here in Melb.!

How about some help for O Park Vic. Gov't?:mad:

As I live in the country, I don't know much about stadiums in Melbourne but is Olympic Park the only big enough rectangular stadium to play League on?

Originally posted by Latrobe
As I live in the country, I don't know much about stadiums in Melbourne but is Olympic Park the only big enough rectangular stadium to play League on?

No, there would be a few others, Bob Jane Stadium, Albert Park, (cant think of the names of the others). I'd be guessing that Olympic Park would have the best facilities and a more central location for fans to get to games.

Actually on reflection this does annoy me.

The Auckland Regional Council wants to:
(a) spend $21 million on renovating the Warriors home ground, building a new covered stand, 'mini' supporters clubs and lounges, and ultra modern purpose built training facilities for a league team.

(b) reorganise the City-wide public transportation system including rail and bus, for the benefit of Warriors games.

But they intended the financial commitment to be conditional on the Warriors receiving a 10 year licence to compete, hardly an onerous obligation I would have thought.

Now because they only received a 5 year licence the whole deal is in doubt, specifically the scale of hte investment.

Is there still doubt in Australia that the Warriors will be in the competition in 10 years, being one of only six teams presently making any money in all.

I guess money for nothing isn't good enough for some people, seriously WTF is wrong with the fishheads that run this game.

Considering that the Warriors were broke a few years ago and were saved by a millionaire who came in a nd put up the cash I would say that the long-term survival of the Warriors is shakey. If he sticks around they will be OK, but you never can tell with these types.

That said, if the government upgraded the club's infrustructure it would almost guarentee that they would survive as it would surely bring in new supporters and help to keep them going to games and supporting the Warriors.

Sort of off-topic, but this would be my Kiwi test team.

1. R.Barnett (c)

2. L.Vainokolo
3. N.Vagana
4. C.Toopi
5. H.Faafili

6. R.Paul
7. S.Jones

13. M.Betham
12. A.Laui'ititi
11. S.Kearney
10. J.Seu Seu
9. R.Swain
8. N.Cayless

Interchange:
14. R.Wiki
15. L.Hohaia
16. C.Smith
17. D.Solomona

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Briedis

Considering that the Warriors were broke a few years ago and were saved by a millionaire who came in a nd put up the cash I would say that the long-term survival of the Warriors is shakey. If he sticks around they will be OK, but you never can tell with these types.

That said, if the government upgraded the club's infrustructure it would almost guarentee that they would survive as it would surely bring in new supporters and help to keep them going to games and supporting the Warriors.

Point One:
The Warriors were never broke, the Maori tribe that owned them had insufficent money to pay their own debts, let alone the ongoing expenses of a professional sporting team.

They did have several loss making seasons, which obviously isn't a good thing, but with existing reserves, and prudent management, the situation should never have been terminal.

Point Two:
Fortunately Eric Watson is no Rueben Pelerman. The exceedingly wealthy Mr Watson did not buy the Warriors as an anniversary present for his wife, but as a viable ongoing business.

Point Three:
Unfortunately I don't think upgrading the facilities is intended to increase the crowd, rather to get additional revenue off the existing fans.

If they really wanted increased crowds, the Warriors would have moved to Carlaw Park.

another point, just by developing the ground in no way ensures more supporters come along... just look at the SCG when they got rid of the hill. look at the sydney showgrounds. would you like it if they "improved" brookvale oval and got rid of the hill, as the NRL wanted manly to do???

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiwis!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back