Kumar Sangakarra

Remove this Banner Ad

So nothing in between it with Gilchrist more a match winner. I know who I'm taking.

Gilchrist played in 73 wins out of 96 tests for one of the all-time great sides...Flower played in only 6 wins for Zimbabwe.

Even if Flower averaged 70 he wouldn't have been "more a match winner".

I agree that Gilchrist is good, however the match winner idea doesn't really hold when he had an all-time top 5 spinner, all-time top 10 fast bowler and enormous batting talent in support, while Zimbabwe's next best player was a B-grader in Heath Streak. It's like saying Scottie Pippen was more of a match winner than Karl Malone.

Last edited:
You're an idiot.

Sanga scored 203 out of 365 of the entire Sri Lankan side's runs in the 1st innings. Should he have scored 583 runs instead so Sri Lanka would have already won?

he is just another tendulkar, accumulates runs in lost causes and can't score when it matters. look at how he choked today. runs scored in draws/losses are completely worthless, remember when clarkey scored 150 in SA and called it a waste of time cos we lost? thats what we are talking about here.

the greatest matchwinner of all time is graeme smith, he has the best 4th innings record and his team actually won a series in australia, something sri lanka or any of these rubbish subcontinent sides could NEVER do.

dravid was a joke in AUS/SA
He averaged nearly 37 across his career in Australia and South Africa and 39 if you don't include his last series when he was clearly past it. He also averaged more than Graeme Smith in Australia which makes a mockery of your previous point.

Compare that to Ponting who averaged 26 in India, I know which one I would rather.

he is just another tendulkar, accumulates runs in lost causes and can't score when it matters. look at how he choked today. runs scored in draws/losses are completely worthless, remember when clarkey scored 150 in SA and called it a waste of time cos we lost? thats what we are talking about here.

the greatest matchwinner of all time is graeme smith, he has the best 4th innings record and his team actually won a series in australia, something sri lanka or any of these rubbish subcontinent sides could NEVER do.
Averages 92 when they win batting last. Averages 44 in the 4th innings, and while that's down, it's still a very good average. Kallis only averages 41 in the 4th innings. Dravid only 40. Amla only 40. de Villiers 43. Tendulkar 36. Viv Richards only averaged 48 in the last innings. He's more than good enough in the fourth innings. To say he's not a match winner is embarrassing and frankly incorrect.

On the Flower v Gilchrist thing, Flower wasn't exactly a great keeper. He was solid. Probably slightly better than Brad Haddin.

I actually rate him a slightly better batsmen than Gilchrist. To perform as he did with as little support as he had was incredible.

But I would be picking Gilly first.

By your own logic his choke today is irrelevant. Sri Lanka were only ever going to draw at best. So considering runs in draws/losses are "completely worthless" then surely choking in draws/losses are "completely worthless".

At best a 1 in a million chance of chasing down over 350 on the fifth day, and it's through no fault of Sangakarra's that Sri Lanka were chasing such a sizeable target.

Even Bradman got out for a duck sometimes. You picked up one occasion, but...guess what?

When Sanga hasn't been wicketkeeper, he has averaged 59.69 in the 4th innings! Smith averages 51.96.

1st innings: Sanga averages 5.5 more
2nd innings: Sanga averages 20 more
3rd innings: Sanga averages 15 more

Oh yeah...and in Australia, Graeme Smith actually was way below average:

In Australia:
- Smith average: 39.46
- Sanga average: 60.33 (and 63.67 when not keeping)

Sanga averages more in Australia than Sobers, Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting, Viv Richards, Kallis, etc...in fact probably more than anyone apart from Bradman and Hammond.

lol if you'd take Smith over Sanga. Keep trying buttercup.

Last edited:
Sanga got a mention on inside cricket today. Due recognition. Personally i reckon he will beat Bradman's record. Be a great achivement to do that if he could althouhg of course he wont be ever considered as good as the Don

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a team game and batsman can't win games on their own if their bowlers don't perform.

There's a reason for the old saying: bowlers win matches, batsmen save them.

Last edited:
In light of the absolute roads we've prepared this series I find the attempts to downgrade Sanga's achievements due to favourable batting conditions pretty amusing. He'd be averaging 150 if he was playing in these 'tough Australian conditions'.

We better knock some runs off Smith and Warner's averages next time we discuss them too.

Averages 92 when they win batting last. Averages 44 in the 4th innings, and while that's down, it's still a very good average. Kallis only averages 41 in the 4th innings. Dravid only 40. Amla only 40. de Villiers 43. Tendulkar 36. Viv Richards only averaged 48 in the last innings. He's more than good enough in the fourth innings. To say he's not a match winner is embarrassing and frankly incorrect.

Even Bradman got out for a duck sometimes. You picked up one occasion, but...guess what?

When Sanga hasn't been wicketkeeper, he has averaged 59.69 in the 4th innings! Smith averages 51.96.

1st innings: Sanga averages 5.5 more
2nd innings: Sanga averages 20 more
3rd innings: Sanga averages 15 more

Oh yeah...and in Australia, Graeme Smith actually was way below average:

In Australia:
- Smith average: 39.46
- Sanga average: 60.33 (and 63.67 when not keeping)

Sanga averages more in Australia than Sobers, Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting, Viv Richards, Kallis, etc...in fact probably more than anyone apart from Bradman and Hammond.

lol if you'd take Smith over Sanga. Keep trying buttercup.

The difference is that you guys are bringing up averages whereas i speak in terms of wins and losses, which is what matters in cricket.

no aussie batsman would get a lick of credit for scoring a double ton in a lost test.

sangkara hasnt won a single test in australia and he doesnt even average 50 outside his favored subcontinent highways. he has never won a series in south africa.

at least our guys go over there and win series off their bats, these flat track bullies go weak at the knees at the sight of our REAL cricket pitches. cant give too much credit to meaningless run accumulation if it doesnt result in victories.

by the way, i was scrolling thru twitter today and noticed a comment mentioning how kholi has just as many tons outside the subcontinent as sangkkara. quite surprising, considering sanga has played 100+ tests and kholi is still relatively new.

It's a team game and batsman can't win games on their own if their bowlers don't perform.

There's a reason for the old saying: bowlers win matches, batsmen save them.

batsmen win test matches when chasing targets in the 4th innings. he choked hard in the 4th innings when sri lanka REALLY needed him.

He averaged nearly 37 across his career in Australia and South Africa and 39 if you don't include his last series when he was clearly past it. He also averaged more than Graeme Smith in Australia which makes a mockery of your previous point.

Compare that to Ponting who averaged 26 in India, I know which one I would rather.

but runs in india dont really matter, we all know those are doctored pitches. the umpiring there is also incredibly dodgy. this is how the likes of harbahjhan are able to trouble us, and they always go missing here.

ponting is a true champ, a winner and an aussie legend, i'd never compare him to some flat track bully from the subcontinent.

dravid only ever had one good series on our decks and that was in 2003/4, when we were missing mcgrath and warnie. scoring against bracken and brad williams isnt exactly the same as playing mcgrath and warne.

he was a dismal failure in 1999/00, possibly the worst ever series by a supposedly 'great' batsman. he also failed in 2007/8 and set the world record for most consecutive clean bowled dismissals in his last series.

his series in south africa arent even worth mentioning.

finally, he doesnt have a single series win in either country.

but runs in india dont really matter, we all know those are doctored pitches. the umpiring there is also incredibly dodgy. this is how the likes of harbahjhan are able to trouble us, and they always go missing here.

ponting is a true champ, a winner and an aussie legend, i'd never compare him to some flat track bully from the subcontinent.

dravid only ever had one good series on our decks and that was in 2003/4, when we were missing mcgrath and warnie. scoring against bracken and brad williams isnt exactly the same as playing mcgrath and warne.

he was a dismal failure in 1999/00, possibly the worst ever series by a supposedly 'great' batsman. he also failed in 2007/8 and set the world record for most consecutive clean bowled dismissals in his last series.

his series in south africa arent even worth mentioning.

finally, he doesnt have a single series win in either country.

Runs in India dont matter ay :D i guess that shouldnt worry Ricky Ponting because he didnt really score any there :D

The difference is that you guys are bringing up averages whereas i speak in terms of wins and losses, which is what matters in cricket.

no aussie batsman would get a lick of credit for scoring a double ton in a lost test.

sangkara hasnt won a single test in australia and he doesnt even average 50 outside his favored subcontinent highways. he has never won a series in south africa.

at least our guys go over there and win series off their bats, these flat track bullies go weak at the knees at the sight of our REAL cricket pitches. cant give too much credit to meaningless run accumulation if it doesnt result in victories.

by the way, i was scrolling thru twitter today and noticed a comment mentioning how kholi has just as many tons outside the subcontinent as sangkkara. quite surprising, considering sanga has played 100+ tests and kholi is still relatively new.

Yes, the Indian batsmen look really scared.

I reckon Sanga might be leading run scorer and maybe even player of the series in this world cup, this is in Australia and NZ. ANyone wanna try and discredit that? haha

Are you saying a champion can't be acknowledged because his side is unsuccessful?

That's absurd.

I reckon Sanga might be leading run scorer and maybe even player of the series in this world cup, this is in Australia and NZ. ANyone wanna try and discredit that? haha

Drop in pitches and flat tracks, scoring centuries against minnows. A minnow basher, got out like a tailender against Boult, wonder what Starc will do to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kumar Sangakarra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back