Kurt Tippett trade talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget about Tippett, he will go to the Lions if anything. Crows more likely though imo given they have looked after him and are currently a top 4 side.

So I have been thinking about it and it has occurred to me that if the Gold Coast Suns don't win more than five games this season (almost certain at this point) then they will receive a priority pick in this years draft. Melbourne received the number 1 and 2 draft pick when this occured in 2009

Priority picks as they were in 2009 have been scrapped this year.
There is no longer a hard and fast "win less than x games, get y pick" type formula. The AFL will now decide whether teams will receive a priority pick, and what pick that will be.

Priority picks as they were in 2009 have been scrapped this year.
There is no longer a hard and fast "win less than x games, get y pick" type formula. The AFL will now decide whether teams will receive a priority pick, and what pick that will be.
Well surely if they are going to give any team a priority pick it is going to be the Suns, right?

Well surely if they are going to give any team a priority pick it is going to be the Suns, right?

No. I would be against the GC getting a PP, as it goes against the reasoning for them. We don't need that sort of aid. We've had plenty of concessions already. We don't need more.

No. I would be against the GC getting a PP, as it goes against the reasoning for them. We don't need that sort of aid. We've had plenty of concessions already. We don't need more.

The question is whether any help is needed. Its either in for a penny in for pound or the AFL say you had you share - suck eggs. Id say the AFL will not sit on their hands if you look like you are progressing too slowly for their taste.

But what sort of help?

PP are a tool that someone invented as a means assistance. As you have said it would do little for you and some may , they did little for anyone. Play bad and you get a kid that wont be at his best for years? Yeah that works. Anyway maybe help can be developed in other ways like a bunch FA's like you were given first off, maybe extra $$ in cap , maybe something of field , help with more coaches etc.

I would happily take the pp pick but use it for trades more so p. we want 4 young guns max out of this draft, rest of incomings are rookie listed or mature agers.

I dont if putting a entire club list together from scratch is classified as concessions .

So I have been thinking about it and it has occurred to me that if the Gold Coast Suns don't win more than five games this season (almost certain at this point) then they will receive a priority pick in this years draft. Melbourne received the number 1 and 2 draft pick when this occured in 2009 so you would presume the Gold Coast would also get the number 1 and 2 draft pick in this years draft. Not 100% sure if GWS get any special picks this year but I guess the Gold Coast would just get whatever comes after GWS picks. I am willing to bet that the Adelaide Crows would take whatever the Suns' second highest draft pick is this year for Tippett and I think the Gold Coast would be foolish to not at least contemplate it. What do others think? Is Tippett a shut book or does this shine a bit of light into the situation?

Wow you couldn't be more wrong again. No priority picks for the Suns. As much as you want Tippett to leave the crows its not going to happen. Simply pumping his contract up. Nice rumours in your post last year though :)

Wow you couldn't be more wrong again. No priority picks for the Suns. As much as you want Tippett to leave the crows its not going to happen. Simply pumping his contract up. Nice rumours in your post last year though :)
The majority of us don't give a toss if he stays or goes. If you are prepared to keep paying him huge money then by all means keep him as we won't be offering anywhere near what you are. Brisbane on the other hand could be a very different story.

wow...you couldn't be any more irrelevant to our board
If you post here in future, please try to add something positive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ADELAIDE has joined the fight for Travis Cloke, prompted by fears it may lose Kurt Tippett to either Brisbane or Gold Coast.

The Crows are the sixth club to make contact with Cloke's management.
Of the six - Fremantle, Melbourne, Richmond, Carlton, Greater Western Sydney and now Adelaide - three have tabled offers and the other three have indicated they will, or else have a strong interest in the power forward.
The offers will range from about $950,000 a season to $1.1 million over five years.
The Magpies' offer is about $800,000 a season over four years with a fifth year available on an incentive-based formula.
Crows football manager Phil Harper yesterday confirmed the club contacted Cloke's management this week.
The Crows have up to five top players yet to recommit to the club, with the highly talented Tippett their No.1 priority.
If the key forward leaves, and the Lions believe he will, then Adelaide's interest in Cloke skyrockets.
"It's a contingency plan for us so we have to ask the question, and do due diligence," Harper told the Herald Sun.
"We fully expect Kurt to stay, we are confident he will stay, but football shows that we are entering a new age. If Kurt does leave, we as a footy club have to be aware of who is available via free agency.
"And we all know Travis Cloke is probably what we would need."
Contract negotiations with Tippett have stalled, with both parties focused on his health after a series of concussions.
Those discussions will resume next week.
The Magpies, who have put off negotiations with Cloke until the end of the season, have refused to discuss his position.
The Cloke situation will heat up from October 1 when he becomes a restricted free agent.
The Cloke camp has from October 1 to October 19 to table an offer from a rival club - for example, Richmond at $1 million a year over five years.
The Magpies have until October 22 to match the offer.
Collingwood has tabled an offer that has been refused by Cloke's management.
It's clear the Magpies won't match any rival offer for Cloke.
The difference between the best offer and Collingwood's offer is about $1.7 million over five years.
Collingwood has made it aware it won't be increasing its offer, meaning Cloke will be faced with a "take it or leave it" decision.
If Cloke decides to leave, the AFL will allocate compensation to Collingwood, although it won't be in the vicinity of that paid to Melbourne and Geelong for losing Tom Scully and Gary Ablett to Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast respectively.
Cloke's managers, Ralph Carr and David Cloke, could not be contacted for comment.

Things starting to warm up on the Tippett front now , for Adelaide to air this they cant be confident on Tippett now.

ok I've changed my tune on this based on the following points.

Fraser, and Krakour both off our list this year. Should free up 700k maybe?

Bock who turns 30 in March can go under the veterans list, which I believe reduces him under our cap by 50%. I'm estimating he's on 600k? 700k? So half of that, that means we're up to 1 million available.

Offer Tippett 600k + bonus (100k) performance based for 3 years.

My understanding rookies are not under the salary cap either. Next year all the signings, Rischa, Brennan, Harbrow who were enticed to come to the Suns I think are all up, so no doubt they will be reduced salaries. I'm confident we have HEAPS of space at the moment and has been planned.

Bock to CHB
Tippett to FF

I would trade Gorringe (SA boy), talls genuinely hold a fair bit of currency. As well as our next pick after #2, maybe even another player? Not overly fussed, as long as its not our pick 2 (off the assumption we're finishing 17th).

Thats what Roo said on 5AA. He reckons he is 95% gone and GC is his preferred option despite Brisbane offering more.

Bock to FF next year, Tippett is not required. if he wants to come home and is willing to take a pay cut then so be it, but other wise, not interested.

What ive been told is he meet with club officals when Adelaide had the bye , about 6 weeks ago , not saying he is ours , but club is very interested.

Thats what Roo said on 5AA. He reckons he is 95% gone and GC is his preferred option despite Brisbane offering more.

What would you expect in a trade? I would think out of the SA recruits we have, Sam Day is not tradeable I would think? Plus I think hes contracted to 2014?

What ive been told is he meet with club officals when Adelaide had the bye , about 6 weeks ago , not saying he is ours , but club is very interested.
I think every club in the league would be interested, you would be doing a desservice to the club if you didn't investigate available players, ala Boak, Tippett, Cloke among others.

Can't say I'm excited about the prospect of nabbing Tippett. His concussion / headache problems lately are cause for concern and I'd hope the club does its due diligence from the medical side of things. If he did join us, where would that leave our other ruck / forwards like Day, Dixon, Gorringe and Hickey? Also what would he cost in terms of salary cap space (sounds promising he's apparently willing to take a pay-cut to join us but not the Lions) and also trade. Not worth pick 2 - would rather a Jack Martin or Jimmy Toumpas. We're still a couple of A-Grade mids away from having a superstar midfield.

On the positive side, as Gerard Healy kept repeating during Saturday's game, it would free our youngsters from getting the best opposition defender and would give us a bail-out target up forward. Bocky could then slot back into FB or CHB. We would instantly become a much more competitive unit on-field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kurt Tippett trade talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back