Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who missed my team on Saturday during the radio call here it is.
Before you guys rip it apart please put yours out there it’s not as easy at it seems.
Also this is based only off the games I have seen working for the radio or out at Central Park when I have taken the kids to shepp east.

B -Serrafini Borg Gattuso
B - Lloyd Delaney Spencer
W- Avola Fichera (c) Famosa
F - Clarke Lloyd Wellington
F - Cerone Lloyd McClay
Mid - McClusky Milne(c) Simpson

Bench - Sutherland B-Fothergill McCaulife Brophy Old

Foley / Clarke co coaching

I have to cut the bench but that’s the squad.
Let’s see how it stacks up after Thursday night.

Hey onthehill24, Trivia Question, Who play 7 games for Lanky this year and kick 22 goals and name as one of the best in 2 games include one of those games was a 9 goal haul??????

The Same person that play 201 games and multiple Premiership as player and as (Most recent Premiership) coach of Kyabram.

I wonder if Hilly is doing a bit of this
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
Paul played all his junior footy at ky
Name some kdl players that have had a go at gvfl after showing good careers at kdl level

I'm going for the 2s coaching gig if it's up for grab apparently it was handed to him anyone could have coach it kinda like bomber giving one to Scott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That win has certainly made the 20 hour flight worthwhile mate , well done Murch-Tool on the ones and 2s premiership been a power in the Kdl in the last 3 years losing only 6 games in that time that speaks for itself
1 flag each
Dominant

Thanks Swoop. What an honour to be part of the building up of a club that hasn't challenged for a consistent period of time since probably the late 1960s. You'd have to agree that this is the clubs strongest position in the KDL since those early years after leaving the GVL in 1964.

A quick build and premiership assault in 2012 to 2014, netting the 2013 title broke a long drought, but was at a large cost and unfortunately proved to be unsustainable. A number of club members dug into their own pockets at that time to keep the club solvent. Debts were paid back over a number of years as a plan was put in place.

Brent Chapman and James Milne coached with miserly budgets, but never allowed the club to bottom out completely. By the time Nick Iorianni was appointed we saw that the club could be ran with a surplus, albeit with the community having to give more than ever before. COVID hit and threatened to dampen the progress, but proved to be a time where we continued to strengthen our financial position.

Hilly, 2022 was a season that we actually vouched for a Final 8, that ultimately gave the Wombats a crack from outside the top 2 and the weather gods intervened to your liking. Similarly, the one point loss to Nagambie late in 2023 meant a third place finish, rather than top. As we have seen, winning a flag from outside the top 2 in our Final 6 has yet to be done.

FWIW, when we set out we wanted to be mentioned in a similar ilk to Stanhope, Nagambie and Lancaster in that we wanted to qualify for finals annually and from there if processes, systems and luck allow that we'd be in a position to challenge regularly.

We have looked to strengthen the club from both ends, by recruiting and retaining top end talent and by now building our own with a strong junior program. Here's hoping that we can emulate Girgarre and soon be able to deliver an A Grade netball grand final, that turns into a Premiership. Our first ever junior netball premiership, coupled with a network of 'local' girls currently participating in the GVL, gives every hope that the goal of netball success isn't far away.

Lancaster changed their culture in 1980 and 1981 under Chris Salter, where winning premierships and participating in finals with local talent and a connected community became the norm for the Wombats. Now over 40 years on that legacy at Lancaster continues, a rise of similar proportions to that of modern day Hawthorn. Players know that if you go out to Lanky and play 150 senior games that you're likely to have a premiership medallion to go with it; Shepparton East, Nagambie and Stanhope are no different, in that their premiership windows never seem closed for long - if ever. I am audacious enough to believe that Murchison-Toolamba has the facility to be considered alongside these perennial powers of local football over at least the next decade.

It would also be remiss not to mention not only the galvanising of the Toolamba community into the club, but we have also made many players and supporters from Ardmona feel very welcome. It was great to see a number of Ardmona connections enjoy success with our club in 2024. We also had a very high influence from Shepparton East, to build culture you must add from success. Shepp East have been a cruel opponent of mine across the decades and one that I respect. To attract multiple players and coaching staff from the Eagles has brought a change of standard and expectation. For Brett Foley to have the opportunity to deliver the Premiers & Champions double is testament to that influence. My Katandra perspective also being a north star what I thought this community should enjoy in regards to developing junior talent. A talent pool that you can attest to Swoopin Pie.

As you can tell from above, I am very proud of my time at the Hoppers and what the community has been able to do. I especially loved Dave Murray's mention of 'to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit' as a great analogy of what the weekend felt like being no longer directly involved in the day to day operations of the organisation. The plan of new facilities at Murchison continues to build momentum too.

The KDL has been a huge part of my life, idolising my dad at Lancaster for my first decade, then returning to the KDL later in my own football career. I have no qualms admitting that I made a better administrator than player. On Saturday, I got to see so many of the people that I'd connected with along the way and on this website (how's the shoulder Hank?) and it confirmed how unique, vital and connecting our grassroots sport is. The 44 hours of travel over the weekend was for more than just the 4 hours of footy and 1 hour of netball - I got to see many acquaintances that I have connected with through our great winter pursuit. It was great to hear that the numbers of clubs with Fourths appears to be increasing in 2025. Half time junior games were running, 11&U players presenting medallions and 13&U premiers crowned. All things that were not happening when I returned to the KDL over a decade ago.

Culture changed!

Laurie Casey / Tommy Davies /kaine Herbert / Tyson Sidebottom/ Joshua Pell/ p Cunningham / could name quite a few more but where do you stop
Thanks Swoop. What an honour to be part of the building up of a club that hasn't challenged for a consistent period of time since probably the late 1960s. You'd have to agree that this is the clubs strongest position in the KDL since those early years after leaving the GVL in 1964.

A quick build and premiership assault in 2012 to 2014, netting the 2013 title broke a long drought, but was at a large cost and unfortunately proved to be unsustainable. A number of club members dug into their own pockets at that time to keep the club solvent. Debts were paid back over a number of years as a plan was put in place.

Brent Chapman and James Milne coached with miserly budgets, but never allowed the club to bottom out completely. By the time Nick Iorianni was appointed we saw that the club could be ran with a surplus, albeit with the community having to give more than ever before. COVID hit and threatened to dampen the progress, but proved to be a time where we continued to strengthen our financial position.

Hilly, 2022 was a season that we actually vouched for a Final 8, that ultimately gave the Wombats a crack from outside the top 2 and the weather gods intervened to your liking. Similarly, the one point loss to Nagambie late in 2023 meant a third place finish, rather than top. As we have seen, winning a flag from outside the top 2 in our Final 6 has yet to be done.

FWIW, when we set out we wanted to be mentioned in a similar ilk to Stanhope, Nagambie and Lancaster in that we wanted to qualify for finals annually and from there if processes, systems and luck allow that we'd be in a position to challenge regularly.

We have looked to strengthen the club from both ends, by recruiting and retaining top end talent and by now building our own with a strong junior program. Here's hoping that we can emulate Girgarre and soon be able to deliver an A Grade netball grand final, that turns into a Premiership. Our first ever junior netball premiership, coupled with a network of 'local' girls currently participating in the GVL, gives every hope that the goal of netball success isn't far away.

Lancaster changed their culture in 1980 and 1981 under Chris Salter, where winning premierships and participating in finals with local talent and a connected community became the norm for the Wombats. Now over 40 years on that legacy at Lancaster continues, a rise of similar proportions to that of modern day Hawthorn. Players know that if you go out to Lanky and play 150 senior games that you're likely to have a premiership medallion to go with it; Shepparton East, Nagambie and Stanhope are no different, in that their premiership windows never seem closed for long - if ever. I am audacious enough to believe that Murchison-Toolamba has the facility to be considered alongside these perennial powers of local football over at least the next decade.

It would also be remiss not to mention not only the galvanising of the Toolamba community into the club, but we have also made many players and supporters from Ardmona feel very welcome. It was great to see a number of Ardmona connections enjoy success with our club in 2024. We also had a very high influence from Shepparton East, to build culture you must add from success. Shepp East have been a cruel opponent of mine across the decades and one that I respect. To attract multiple players and coaching staff from the Eagles has brought a change of standard and expectation. For Brett Foley to have the opportunity to deliver the Premiers & Champions double is testament to that influence. My Katandra perspective also being a north star what I thought this community should enjoy in regards to developing junior talent. A talent pool that you can attest to Swoopin Pie.

As you can tell from above, I am very proud of my time at the Hoppers and what the community has been able to do. I especially loved Dave Murray's mention of 'to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit' as a great analogy of what the weekend felt like being no longer directly involved in the day to day operations of the organisation. The plan of new facilities at Murchison continues to build momentum too.

The KDL has been a huge part of my life, idolising my dad at Lancaster for my first decade, then returning to the KDL later in my own football career. I have no qualms admitting that I made a better administrator than player. On Saturday, I got to see so many of the people that I'd connected with along the way and on this website (how's the shoulder Hank?) and it confirmed how unique, vital and connecting our grassroots sport is. The 44 hours of travel over the weekend was for more than just the 4 hours of footy and 1 hour of netball - I got to see many acquaintances that I have connected with through our great winter pursuit. It was great to hear that the numbers of clubs with Fourths appears to be increasing in 2025. Half time junior games were running, 11&U players presenting medallions and 13&U premiers crowned. All things that were not happening when I returned to the KDL over a decade ago.

Culture changed!
Would have loved to catch up with you mate for one of our many chats but couldn’t make it possible But certainly will when you return .Once again well done to the Murch-Tol footy club I can just imagine how happy and proud you would’ve been on Saturday when that siren sounded .cheers mate !!

Laurie Casey / Tommy Davies /kaine Herbert / Tyson Sidebottom/ Joshua Pell/ p Cunningham / could name quite a few more but where do you stop

Would have loved to catch up with you mate for one of our many chats but couldn’t make it possible But certainly will when you return .Once again well done to the Murch-Tol footy club I can just imagine how happy and proud you would’ve been on Saturday when that siren sounded .cheers mate !!
Daniel Clarke off to play lawn bowls after claiming his 10th b and f. Avenel got rid of the coach. Players weren’t happy.
Nick Dundon taking over and trying to take the Seymour 2s with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back