Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

James Milne, aging like a fine wine šŸ·.

Leigh Wellington CHF in the team of the year, spose he was very good when he played there for 5 mins earlier in the year.

Looking forward to hearing about the new recruits in future months.

P.S Nate Caddy breakout year incoming

Did he swap with Aidan Lloyd for a few minutes? šŸ¤­

Tough gig picking these sides, especially when we only play most teams once per year. But usually Iā€™d expect the grand finalists to have about 4 players each.

Other finalists maybe 2 players, then the guns from teams outside the six would be considered.

Also are we picking players in spots that they usually played for their home club, or where youā€™d place them if you were fortunate enough to have them together for an interleague game?

Last edited:

Zac Cerrone to ky
Iā€™m glad heā€™s giving it another go Normo went in a few years back but his mind wasnā€™t right for GV footy a good player back then but a gun now Kicking 71 snags this year speaks for itself
Ps still in disbelief on why he didnā€™t impress the umpires he runs carries the ball great kick bewildering???

Iā€™m glad heā€™s giving it another go Normo went in a few years back but his mind wasnā€™t right for GV footy a good player back then but a gun now Kicking 71 snags this year speaks for itself
Ps still in disbelief on why he didnā€™t impress the umpires he runs carries the ball great kick bewildering???
Man on man work and defence needs improvement for gv

Dust has settled and im bored at work so i'll give my TOTY without being too biased.
this team is only what I have played with and against. so i've only seen some teams once, and previous years are not considered.
along with this, i would kill to play with this bunch in a Interleague set up!

B: J Spencer (SE) J Borg (M-T) J Wild (M-T)
HB: AN Lloyd (M-T) L Devine (M-T) M Nolan (Nag)
C: B Fothergill (Nag) J Dhosi (SE) K Sanders (M-T)
HF N O'Reilly (Stan) Ai Lloyd (M-T) R Old (Nag)
FF: B Avola (Aven) J Lloyd (M-T) Z Cerrone (Lan)
F: T McCluskey (SE) Jy Formosa (Long) C Simpson (Lank)

Int: A Fichera (SE) L Wellington (M-T) R Devine (M-T)

Coach: B Foley (M-T)

Stiff Misses: D Hoysted, K Tapscott, R Pfieffer - Not ahead of A & J LLoyd
A Cashion, M Serra, H Ismet - not ahead of Z Cerrone or B Avola (not enough games from the first 2)
J Myers, Jo Formosa, S Mackrill L Francis N Fothergill - Not ahead of Formosa, Simpson, Cerrone, Dhosi, O'Reilly
J Delaney, J Donnell, N McAuliffe T Laverie - Not ahead of J Borg, J Spencer, L Devine & Co.

Justification:
Spencer - best reader of the ball in the comp, have put time into him
Borg - around 6-10 goals kicked against him all year, plays on smalls and mountains
Wild - plays on smalls and talls and swaps midfield (competitive athletic beast)
Lloyd - GF display speaks for itself. elite by foot and can also kick lonnnggggg goals if not guarded around the 50 ark.
Devine - talk and direction from position is second to none and runs straight lines and takes the ball with him
Nolan - beautiful reader of the play, uses the ball well and even had midfield minutes this year.
FothergillšŸ… - huge tank, runs all day, foot skills aren't elite, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th efforts are.
Dhosi - absolute bull in the midfield, takes 2 blokes to bring him down and would feed formosa and simpson all day.
Sanders - Runs all day ranked 6th best player in comp mid year. best season at M-T to date and still has more to give.
O'Reilly - heart and soul, very rarely goes to ground and breaks lines and is strong over the ball (on ball rotation)
Lloyd - another who stepped up in the GF, takes the ball at the highest point and is very rarely spoiled.
OldšŸ…- hard runner, fast, learning to use the ball better but gets plenty of it to justify mis use sometimes. (OB rotation)
Avola - only played small minutes mid against us. in a great team he would not leave the 50. mercurial!
Lloyd - 130 goals says it all. (i think he should harden up and he'll kick 150)
Cerrone - absolute weapon across the forward line, beautiful left foot, uses it well, below the knees 11/10 (OB rotation)
McCluskey - broke even with R Devine (not gf), crash and bash, x factor when snatching the ball out of the ruck
Formosa - GUT RUNNER! his 25m passes and then to get the hands back is elite. loves a tackle or 18 a game.
Simpson - another elite runner, breaks away from a pack quicker than anyone i have played on.
Fichera - great user of the ball, reads the ruck like a picture magazine.
Wellington - i take the P155 out of him but he clocks Kms on the flank and is big bodied middy (not a CHFs @sshole)
Devine - Stiff to be second fiddle to Clucky, but really come into his own the back end of the season. ruck work is elite, anywhere on the clock!

Foley - premiership coach, didn't lose a game and has been close to the best coach i have been led by, demands more from every player, tests mental strength of players and is not just a 3 day a week coach.

Cheers, would love feedback!

For the team of the year, the KDL asked for nominations by clubs. 6 players from other clubs and 4 from the club. We (Merrigum) nominated one from each position from other clubs and added a couple of extras (mids/utility type). I gave my thoughts and then the head coaches had input. Similar with the 4 from our club.

Not sure how other clubs did it but it was largely kept quiet being a new thing.

Beyond this, I gather the league tried to have a spread of clubs - but surely thatā€™s defeating the purpose of the team of the year. I didnā€™t look closely but I will guess that all clubs were represented?

But in the defence of the league, for those who didnā€™t like the teamā€¦ if the same 8-10 players were nominated from clubs (Cerrone, Avola, Formosa, McCluskey, Lloyd(s), etcā€¦) then they had no option other than use the nominations from the clubs of their own 4 players as well.

Perhaps next year they need to provide a pool of 40-50 names and positions. Clubs select their best 21 and submit it. That will create the team digitally. Anyone who has picked their pretend All-Australian side or AFL 22Under22 on the AFL website will understand what I mean.

For the team of the year, the KDL asked for nominations by clubs. 6 players from other clubs and 4 from the club. We (Merrigum) nominated one from each position from other clubs and added a couple of extras (mids/utility type). I gave my thoughts and then the head coaches had input. Similar with the 4 from our club.

Not sure how other clubs did it but it was largely kept quiet being a new thing.

Beyond this, I gather the league tried to have a spread of clubs - but surely thatā€™s defeating the purpose of the team of the year. I didnā€™t look closely but I will guess that all clubs were represented?
New ?? It was a thing back in the 90ā€™s . .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back