Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey lads quick question.
As talked about previously on this thread, Brad Gleeson going to Violet town to coach.
I see Violet town had 44 points available to them this year. Rumours going around he’s taking a few out of the reserves from euroa what points would them players be?
Makes it hard for teams coming from the bottom of ladder to be competitive with a points system especially for teams like VT.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey lads quick question.
As talked about previously on this thread, Brad Gleeson going to Violet town to coach.
I see Violet town had 44 points available to them this year. Rumours going around he’s taking a few out of the reserves from euroa what points would them players be?
Makes it hard for teams coming from the bottom of ladder to be competitive with a points system especially for teams like VT.

Hence the reason why it doesn't work footylover 😉👍

Hey lads quick question.

Hey mate, the points system really all depends on the past 3yrs where they've played & what level they've played at (Seniors or Reserves)? Assuming these players have been at Euroa for several season's & played majority reserves then they'll be worth 3 points each. If any of them played more seniors than reserves then they'll be 4 points? Or if any of them have played for another club other than Euroa in the last 2 yrs & VT will be their 3rd club they'll be worth 4 points if they played majority reserves or 5 points if they played majority seniors?

Hope that makes sense? The points system is a nightmare, basically need to do a police check on every player before recruiting these days! 🤦🏽‍♂️🤣 But over the last couple years coaching I've learnt the system inside out for that reason! When recruiting my 1st questions weren't what position do they play, it was where have they played as that would let me know what they were worth & if I could fit them in? Then if you could fit them in the discussions come! Haha

Hey mate, the points system really all depends on the past 3yrs where they've played & what level they've played at (Seniors or Reserves)? Assuming these players have been at Euroa for several season's & played majority reserves then they'll be worth 3 points each. If any of them played more seniors than reserves then they'll be 4 points? Or if any of them have played for another club other than Euroa in the last 2 yrs & VT will be their 3rd club they'll be worth 4 points if they played majority reserves or 5 points if they played majority seniors?

Hope that makes sense? The points system is a nightmare, basically need to do a police check on every player before recruiting these days! 🤦🏽‍♂️🤣 But over the last couple years coaching I've learnt the system inside out for that reason! When recruiting my 1st questions weren't what position do they play, it was where have they played as that would let me know what they were worth & if I could fit them in? Then if you could fit them in the discussions come! Haha
You are a football encyclopaedia smooth 😂😂😂

The Points syestem is a fun Juggle, We had a guy this year who hadn't played for 5 years who was assessed as a 2 pointer as he played in the reserves earlier in the year before his points allocated to play seniors, So some times it really even depends who is doing the assessments at AFLGM.
I know a lot of the 3rds kids at VT were still 3 pointers this year but will meet the home club definition in 2025 and drop to 1

Last edited:
The Points syestem is a fun Juggle, We had a guy this year who hadn't played for 5 years who was assessed as a 2 pointer as he played in the reserves earlier in the year before his points allocated to play seniors, So some times it really even depends who is doing the assessments at AFLGM.
I know a lot of the 3rds kids at VT were still 3 pointers this year but will meet the home club definition in 2025 and drop to 1
That’s not following the rules and merely being childish and penalising because he wasn’t put forward for assessment prior to playing / at the start of the year .
Unfortunately it is a common occurrence whereby it is felt the points system / valuation is being mis-used as a disciplinary / control tool .

But if they transfer to a club in another community comp first , they each drop a point and become a 3 and 4 pointer respectively . 😂

But if they transfer to a club in another community comp first , they each drop a point and become a 3 and 4 pointer respectively . 😂
Technically that's correct, but the AFLGM might catch onto that pretty quickly if they are calculating players points & see all these players come from a "premier" competition down to a "community" comp then without playing any games get a transfer to another "community" comp club? Unless your stating that they've spent a full season at a "community" comp then there's no issue's there because the rules fully allow for it to happen that way?

But yeah this is why there are so many flaws with the points system! It only favours strong clubs with strong juniors that hang around! It's not the clubs fault if they don't have an abundance of strong junior's or junior's at all? But yet it penalises them? Unless you find 30 players that will be loyal over 4-5yrs of being average & slowly building up to them become very successful it will never work? That's very rare!

Basically you have to have been around the mark of finals when the system came in otherwise it's near on impossible to build a side with the points?

Anyway we've all discussed these scenarios 1000 times but it always falls on deaf ears! I'd love to volunteer my time to create a new fairer points system but even that would fall on deaf ears because AFLGM are micro manager's! They like to be in charge of how every league progresses! 🤦🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

Why not just change it, where instead of having max points allocated, you need to have 12 or 14 or 16, 1 point players. Why do we need to get the calculator out and have one guys worth 3, another 4, another 2, I saw trengrove was at one stage 7 or 8 points. Why not simplify it for volunteers

When the Central Midlands Coastal FL in WA implemented their system over 10 years ago, the point tallies were engineered in such a way that there had to be either 11 or 12 locals (i.e. one-point players) in a team each week.

A number of leagues had developed their own systems around this time and given the distance of these leagues from Perth, there was no issue with how the various points for each differed. Perth has only the WAFL and the Perth FL (an amateur comp) for senior football so if you want cash for kicks, you play WAFL or go bush.

Ones like the Central Wheatbelt league had no points system or salary cap because most clubs had to source between 14-18 of their 20 players from Perth each week (and still do). The clubs put them in a mini-bus, drive them to the game, play the game, put a couple of green notes in their hands after the game and then chuck a couple of slabs in the bus for the drive home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoystead and Connor Caldow to Kinglake in NFNL, are they losses for Avenel and are they handy pickups for Kinglake

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back