Kyrgios: "I actually don't like tennis"

Remove this Banner Ad

they beat up on krygios cos he does not act like 'Pat Rafter' sorry mate. Just like they hate John Tomic and Damir Docic. Their behaviour may be more authentic than 'sorry mate'. I dont believe in Rafter.
Rafter the type of bloke to act all nice while he's messing with your missus behind your back.

Good article that acknowledges Nick's hard work

Nick Kyrgios starting to give us a lot to like, writes Ron Reed
Ron Reed, Herald Sun
April 10, 2017 5:20pm

AT LAST Nick Kyrgios’s critics — and for a multitude of very good reasons they are legion — have been provided with a reason to applaud him, perhaps even to warm to him.

Touch wood, this might prove to be the best good-news story Australian sport will have this year.

Or, of course, it might not.

But what can be said for certain is that we have never seen a better or more likeable version of the world’s most controversial tennis player than the one who blasted American Sam Querrey off the court in the deciding rubber of the Davis Cup quarter-final in Brisbane, fighting back from behind and with nary a tantrum to be seen.

The crowd loved it — and the hitherto deeply unpopular young star loved that they loved it. Watching on TV from afar, you couldn’t help being impressed by every aspect of his performance and surprised by some.

Like most sports fans, I had just about lost patience permanently with the brat who seemed determined to trash his own image beyond repair and to thumb his nose at people who would normally queue up to support a young sportsman with enough freakish ability to become not only a world-beater but an entertainer.

This turnaround appears to be no accident. A penny may have dropped.

Since being booed off the court at the Australian Open in January after losing in five sets in dubious fashion against Italian Andreas Seppi, he has been in a rich vein of form and his behaviour has mostly improved, twin ticks that are unlikely to be unrelated.

Playing for his country, as distinct from himself, he seemed to be sending a deliberate message on court and again when engaging pleasantly — and candidly — with interviewers off it. The familiar meltdowns born of anger, frustration and disrespect were replaced by desperation, determination and pride.

As trivial as it might be to mention, even his hairstyle seems to have been toned down.

“After the Australian Open I wasn’t in a good place,” Kyrgios said. “But the one thing that fixes that is winning, delivering it and doing it the right way.

“I’ve become a bit more professional and it is showing.

“I’m going out and playing the game as it is meant to be played. I’m not going back to the hotel and hating the game.”

These insightful words — especially “ … doing it the right way” — must be music to the ears of heavy hitters at Tennis Australia, who have worn plenty of criticism themselves for not cracking down harder on the many displays of boorishness, but who have always insisted, perhaps with their fingers firmly crossed, that maturity would one day kick in and the results would be spectacular.

But neither they nor Kyrgios should expect this to be an overnight transition.

THERE has been way too much dirty water under the bridge for that and some commentators are already declaring there is no way back any time soon and they would not cheer even if he were to lead the green and gold all the way to breaking a 14-year drought in the much-loved teams tournament.

While its not difficult to see where they are coming from, that’s a bit rigid.

A reader on the Herald Sun website summed it up less harshly: “One positive does not quite cancel out all the negatives for me, I’m afraid. But it’s a good start. I’ll review it sometime in the future and see if it is genuine or a fluke in his attitude.”

Hear, hear! If — yes, big if — it proves to be a fair-dinkum epiphany that is still in place come the next Oz Open, Kyrgios should be able to expect an appropriately positive response.

Nobody really wants to see that colossal potential — Pat Rafter and Lleyton Hewitt have said he has more talent than they did and American legend Jim Courier is now saying he could and should get to the world’s top five — wasted, or disowned by the nation, do they?
What has brought it on? Todd Woodbridge, an astute commentator, said the other day Kyrgios really did want to be loved, despite the regular protestations that he couldn’t care less what people think about him.

Kyrgios seemed to agree it's a matter of maturity when he said people forget he is only 21.

Perhaps he has just begun to properly grow up and has recognised that he has arrived at a crossroads with wildly divergent directional options.

Kyrgios has warned he is not about to become an angel, and that’s not unacceptable. There’s nothing wrong with colour, passion and personality — in fact, it is to be encouraged — but he does need to move into something more resembling the middle ground, where Australians are not embarrassed to barrack for him.

It remains to be seen whether that is a realistic proposition in the long term but it would be churlish not to acknowledge it if it is.

Ron Reed is a Herald Sun columnist

@Reedrw

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...d/news-story/8076cd70d16a91ec244daaf82fffef95

I wish he would be nicer to the line judges still. Hide the frustration a little better or in another matter. He still is a work in progress in that area all round. But I love watching him work. You never know what you going to get. He might replace the hole in my heart that Safin left when he retired. he seems to be enjoying himself. I dont mind the tennis racquet smashes or showing passion.

I was a disbeliever in the Seppi game. Cant believe that he has changed my opinion so quickly. There are going to be pitfalls coming up. It is going to be a rollercoaster. But I am jumping on the bandwagon and putting on my seatbelt. It will be one hell of a ride.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Whilst I am a fan, the next brain fade is only around the corner. At the end of the day he is only costing himself, he's good enough to win slams in the near future but attitude has to improve even further for him to do it. If he could really knuckle down then winning Wimbledon would hardly be out of the question.

Anyone know how big the hip surgery he needs is? He keeps saying it is inevitable and it keeps causing him grief.

I wonder if he had it done now if he would be back in court for the Australian Open?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injured or spat the dummy?

Spat the dummy - it was pathetic...Challenged a call & was correct in the 12th game. His reaction is to smack a ball into the stands & gets a code violation. Then in the tie break he was going off about crowd noise (again), swore & got a point penalty to make it 4-4. Then after the next point says he's going to walk off if he loses the set to his team. Johnson serves an ace to win the tie break 7-5 & Kygrios does exactly that..

Shanghai was the same place he had last year's epic meltdown from memory too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The second to last point was hilarious. It's 5-5 in a tiebreaker and Johnson hit a rocket from 5 metres behind the baseline, and then aces him to take the set.

I think he hasn't accepted he hates this sport and needs to let a few things go. I don't think any 22 year old has found their purpose, if thats something that even needs to be sought for at such a young age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyrgios: "I actually don't like tennis"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back