Senior Lachie Neale (2018-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions pair earn All-Australian blazers

All_Australian_Winners_Graphic_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions duo Dayne Zorko and Lachie Neale have been rewarded for outstanding seasons by being selected in the 2024 All-Australian team.

The pair were presented with their blazers at the AFL Awards in Melbourne on Thursday night.
Neale also added yet another All-Australian honour to his already remarkable playing resume, with the midfielder making the team for an impressive fourth time.

The ball magnet was a standout in the Lions engine room with an average of 29.5 disposals with 75.7% efficiency.

His trademark clean hands and composure were highlighted as he averaged 7.5 clearances.

While helping the Lions up forward with 6.8 score involvements and 13 goals of his own.
Daly was also full of praise for Neale following his All-Australian selection.

“Everyone that watches the way Lachie trains and plays are impressed by the way he goes about it and that’s because he does it all at such a high standard,” he said.

“Lachie is one of those ultimate professionals and really driven athletes that is always looking for ways to better himself and he’s been able to do that again this year.

“He is one of our Co-Captains for the reason that he leads by example and in doing so he thoroughly deserves to be named as an All-Australian again.”

Neale unfazed by potential tag as Lions seek finals redemption

veKUhM7M.jpg

WHETHER it's George Hewett or Alex Cincotta paying him attention, Lachie Neale is ready for anything Carlton throws at him in Saturday night's elimination final at the Gabba.

Neale has put together another exceptional campaign, named in his fourth All-Australian team last week and right in the hunt for a third Brownlow Medal.

With opposing skipper Patrick Cripps in career-best form, gaining ascendency in the middle of the ground again looms as critical to success, and Neale says he's prepared for anything.

"The last couple of times it's been Hewett and (Adam) Cerra doing a bit of a role at stoppage, but not a full tag," Neale said on Tuesday morning.

"But then this year since we last played them, Cincotta has done some really good roles.

"He might go to someone like 'Zorks' [Dayne Zorko] or he might play on a dangerous small forward. Who knows?"

That "last time" Neale speaks of was Opening Round when Carlton overturned a 46-point deficit to walk away with four premiership points following a late Harry McKay goal.

Both teams have players returning from injury for the weekend, with Jack Payne and Bruce Reville training on Tuesday after returning through the VFL and the Blues contemplating as many as eight changes.

Neale said Brisbane was not worried by the uncertainty around its opponents.

"Some of them have only missed a week or two and have played a lot of footy this year, so they're probably feeling a little like me, rejuvenated and ready to go," he said.

"They'll be coming over here looking to ambush us on Saturday night.

"We can't really think too much about their injuries, we've just got to prepare for their best.

"They're a great team and we'll prepare for that."

JAlZiKdM.jpg

Neale said Brisbane entered the finals with a lot of confidence, despite some late-season stumbles, believing its experience from five previous campaigns in September held it in good stead.

"Finals are built on moments," he said.

"We've stuffed up a lot of big moments. We've been through a range of experiences, not only in finals, but even this year, we've had to win in so many different ways.

"We feel we're well equipped for any situation a game throws at us.

"We don't have to do anything special, we know that simple brilliance gets it done in finals and when we stray away from that we lose our way a little bit.

"There's been some great lessons for us for six years now and I think this year in particular we've learnt so much from all sorts of games that have been thrown at us.

"We don't expect it to be an easy ride, but we feel like if we play our best footy we're every chance of winning it (premiership)."

A legend declared Neale’s evolution is not done. Does a third Brownlow beckon?

Luke Hodge joined the Lions just as Lachie Neale was ascending to become one of the AFL’s best.

But Hawthorn legend Hodge, a three-time premiership-winning captain, believes the Brisbane co-captain still has another gear to reach in his side’s quest to end a two-decade title drought.

Two best and fairest medals already hang on Neale’s mantle, but statistically the 31-year-old has evolved his game again, rescuing his side from a horror start to 2024.

b91acfd87930ddb4aed04f583c1f6ec543d8a88f

He is on track to register the most inside 50s and goals of his career, and has nearly doubled his best season of goal assists as he pushed forward more frequently.

It has made Brisbane the competition’s most lethal inside-50 team, their wayward goalkicking denying them a spot in the top four.

Neale said what transpired in 2024 came from an internal focus: honing his own role, and trusting the men around him would do the same.

“The biggest thing I’ve probably learned is not to change ... but I didn’t start that well,” he said.

“In 2023, my own form sort of dipped away a fair bit there, and I was trying to worry about what the team was doing, and worry about every other person’s job.

“I went away from what I’m really good at. Making sure you spend a lot of time focusing on getting your part right was probably the biggest lesson I learned, and others follow that.

“I just feel like my game’s in good order, so I’m reading the game a little bit better than I was in the first half of the year, and getting into better and more dangerous spots.”

Across the board, Neale has remained consistent. But after 12 years, he has found ways to transform his output in other areas, and has Hodge convinced he is not yet the finished product.

And Hodge declared even if the Greater Western Sydney Giants heavily tagged the midfielder in Saturday’s semi-final, he would only make others more dangerous.

“One thing with Lachie is nothing surprises you,” Hodge said, on the Brisbane leg of the AFL Premiership Cup Tour.

“How he works on his game, what he does on the footy field is not luck, it’s all the work that he does behind the scenes that lets him perform like that on game day.”

“He’s getting better, it’s surprising the fact he’s a dual-Brownlow medallist, but the football he played between rounds 10 and 20 this year were as good as he’s played in his career.

“One thing he’s added to his game is the selfless mindset stuff. When you’re a young A-grade on-baller you want to go and get the footy as much as you possibly can.

“What Lachie has added is if he’s getting a tag, he’s happy to go make a 2-v-1, he’s happy to go play a selfless role of football, so his midfielders can get the ball as well.

“He’s picked up on his agility, his sidestep, and rather than getting the ball in handball, he’s able to use his legs and break from a contest and hit a kick. It does make him almost the all-round complete player.”

Brisbane had been reeling with a 2-5 record, their hopes of avenging last year’s grand final defeat evaporating.

From rounds 10 to 22, Neale took the revival personally – averaging 28.46 disposals, 4.32 inside 50s and 7.62 clearances a game, and his side would suffer just one defeat in that time.

As for whether he feels he has done enough to claim a third Brownlow medal: “Two’s enough I reckon,” Neale said, laughing.

“I think Patty [Cripps] and [Nick] Daicos will be hard to catch.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior Lachie Neale (2018-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back