Lack of Australian Test Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

The T20 WC finished a couple months ago. And in a few days Australia are starting their tour of Scotland and England. Players have either been playing county or doing the T20 circuits in the downtime.

Also, in comparison to other nations, Australia probably gets more cricket due to it being one of the Big 3.

This summer will feature Australia’s first 5 Test series v India in ages. Should be a good summer then. Plus the Aus A v Ind A series to accompany that.

Calm down, the players are playing, it’s just happening in other parts of the world.

What's the problem? We're scheduled to play the 2nd most Test Matches in the current 4 year ICC programme.

There was an ICC World Cup mid year. No kidding there was going to be less opportunities for test touring. The players aren't robots

Yes feels like a lean winter

However we played 11 away tests last winter plus tours of Pakistan and Sri Lanka the years before that

Hopefully the test players are cherry ripe for the summer

This would have to be Australia's leanest year ever wouldn't it?

we had 10 tests last winter which was the most ever played in the off season (4 v ind, WTC Final, 5 v eng).

the aussies have 15 tests over the next 24 months and a whopping 20 tests in the following 12 months = and yes most will be against england and india.

brace yourselves from sept 2026 - sept 2027 - the aussies have 20 tests (and if good enough a WTC final)
2 v bang (h)
3 v sa (a)
4 v nz (h)
5 v ind (a)
1 v eng (h)
wtc final
5 v eng (a)

we had 10 tests last winter which was the most ever played in the off season (4 v ind, WTC Final, 5 v eng).

the aussies have 15 tests over the next 24 months and a whopping 20 tests in the following 12 months = and yes most will be against england and india.

brace yourselves from sept 2026 - sept 2027 - the aussies have 20 tests (and if good enough a WTC final)
2 v bang (h)
3 v sa (a)
4 v nz (h)
5 v ind (a)
1 v eng (h)
wtc final
5 v eng (a)
I wouldn't count on those home Bangladesh tests actually being played...There's only ever been 2 in Cairns & Darwin back in 2003!

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't count on those home Bangladesh tests actually being played...There's only ever been 2 in Cairns & Darwin back in 2003!

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

yeah the bangladesh home series may be a little tricky.

first of all they've added the england 1 off test, during the time bangladesh was supposed to be here.
if it doesn't get played surely Australia forfeit the points, as they've decided to make a 1 off test v England a priority.

if they push that bangladesh series back any further it will eat into the AFL season and or overlap the IPL.
perfect to play the series up north as that summer has nz playing in perth, adel, syd & melb and eng in melb.

an option is to play it prior to the summer in september 2026 when afghanistan were supposed to be here, again up north.

looking at the calendar, there doesn't seem to be many other options as it needs to be played by mid 2027 and the WTC final.

I think it's all but confirmed that the Bangladesh Test series will be moved forward to winter 2026 replacing the Afghanistan Test.

After that Australia travels to Zimbabwe then South Africa. At the moment it's ODIs in Zimbabwe but would make sense to play a Test in Zim prior to the South Africa tour.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's all but confirmed that the Bangladesh Test series will be moved forward to winter 2026 replacing the Afghanistan Test.

After that Australia travels to Zimbabwe then South Africa. At the moment it's ODIs in Zimbabwe but would make sense to play a Test in Zim prior to the South Africa tour.

I thought i read bangas actually asked to move it back.

pretty sure the zim board have already said they don't want a test as it costs them too much money. Maybe the test fund might change things.

nothing in the FTP saying we tour zim in 2026. in any case i doubt we'd add an extra test to that heavy schedule mid 26 - mid 27.

i'd say australia and bangladesh will be looking for a 3 week window where both teams are available and make the FTP a priority.

we do tour bangladesh in june 2026 for odi's and t20's - would australia consider giving up 2 home tests to offer bangladesh to host (thinking outside the box) just to squeeze these matches in - considering the summer of 26/27 is a full home summer.

again for me best bet is in oz in september 2026

nothing in the FTP saying we tour zim in 2026. in any case i doubt we'd add an extra test to that heavy schedule mid 26 - mid 27.

i'd say australia and bangladesh will be looking for a 3 week window where both teams are available and make the FTP a priority.

we do tour bangladesh in june 2026 for odi's and t20's - would australia consider giving up 2 home tests to offer bangladesh to host (thinking outside the box) just to squeeze these matches in - considering the summer of 26/27 is a full home summer.

again for me best bet is in oz in september 2026
Australia tour Zimbabwe in the 3rd week of September 2026. Considering the Afghanistan Test is all but cancelled, they should be replaced by either Zim or invite Ireland. I remember a few years back reading articles about Ireland replacing Afghanistan for that Test. Not sure why that never happened.

It's similar to 2000 when Australia toured Nz for a Test series that ended at the start of April, then didn't have another Test until playing the West Indies at home in late November.

Is it more to do with the Gabba shutting/redeveloping for the 2032 Olympics?
Wouldn't think so, given its for 2027 and Tests are to be held there in other years. CA still seemed to be suggesting the Gabba will host games in other years until 2030.
And if that's all it was, then Canberra, Hobart, Gold Coast or (more likely) a second SCG Test are all options.

Wouldn't think so, given its for 2027 and Tests are to be held there in other years. CA still seemed to be suggesting the Gabba will host games in other years until 2030.
And if that's all it was, then Canberra, Hobart, Gold Coast or (more likely) a second SCG Test are all options.
There's been everything from 2025 to 2027 announced as the start of demolition date. Most of these announcements said its ready again to host games FROM 2030.

Bearing in mind the current QLD government are likely to be needing new jobs after the 26th of October this year then anything's a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lack of Australian Test Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back