Bennycoff

Premiership Player
May 28, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
It seems Ladson broke his wrist or some bone in his arm. it was courageous turned round running back and tried to spoil. it was similar to crawfs last year, he was holding it like that and looked gone. poor guy, he was playing well too. when will he and the hawks have any luck with injuries? :(

Diasppointing for the lad.

Could have far reaching consequences for him too, with the high possibility that he will be cut at the end of this season.

He really needed to have a big last five weeks and was having a crack today before doing the arm.

CyberKev said:
Diasppointing for the lad.

Could have far reaching consequences for him too, with the high possibility that he will be cut at the end of this season.

He really needed to have a big last five weeks and was having a crack today before doing the arm.

No chance in hell he'll be cut....

Another shocking injury from a player who has had to endure to the age of 21 what most footballers endure over a career.

Laddo joins Changa and Boyle in continuing to be kicked back down when he looks like blossoming. Very sad.

Hodge_is_God said:

Another shocking injury from a player who has had to endure to the age of 21 what most footballers endure over a career.

Laddo joins Changa and Boyle in continuing to be kicked back down when he looks like blossoming. Very sad.

Disagree. Reckon he (along with a few others) has been given an extended run more out of "well, lets just see what he's got at this level" than actual great form or potential that he's yet to realise.

The very nature of another injury in a career that's been littered with them over the four seasons well... it'd have to (imo) be taken into consideration if he's got the body to withstand AFL long term when he's looked at at seasons end.

Terrible blow and he had been showing some decent form early. However, the ground size and room to move suited his game. He's been struggling for over a month and he's also got competition now (Lonie's late form, young Young, maybe what they are after in the draft and terms of who they're targetting) etc.

Not saying he's totally gone for all money but do think he's on a precarious footing just the same.

I can vouch for the pain, theres an initial shock, then the body settles down, but after around 10 minutes the pain becomes unbearable, goes straight through you from head to toe, become nausious, woozy, vomitting etc.

Corageous act, wish him the best in recovery.

Hodge_is_God said:

It makes you wonder exactly who we are going to cut?

Reality says we have to axe 8 players at season's end (the coaching staff may like to cut more, but we cannot seriously do away with less than that).

If Lekkas decides to play on then Ladson will almost certainly have to go.

Grendel; Yeah, he might have some competition now, but it's more a matter of Ladson, Young and Lonie fighting it off for two spots now, instead of Ladson getting a spot by default. You can't honestly pin hopes on either Lonie or Young at this point in their respective careers to get rid of Laddo.

As for being injury prone...well maybe he'll never get his body right, but a broken forearm is hardly something anyone can predict or protect against.

What are your thoughts on Bateman in that case? Should we delist him too since he's never played more than 2/3 a season?

CK: Why 8 players? Last year we only delisted 6 and traded 1, and it was still one hell of an overhaul.

Regardless,

Holland
Ball
Scott
Beaumont
Barker
Greene
Kane
Dixon

are all a mile in front of Laddo in terms of being cut, with Ries, Lonie and Hay looming as trade bait.

I'd also delist Miller and Brennan (who I don't particularly think we'll get rid of either this year) ahead of Ladson.

Hodge_is_God said:
CK: Why 8 players? Last year we only delisted 6 and traded 1, and it was still one hell of an overhaul.

Regardless,

Holland
Ball
Scott
Beaumont
Barker
Greene
Kane
Dixon

are all a mile in front of Laddo in terms of being cut, with Ries, Lonie and Hay looming as trade bait.

I'd also delist Miller and Brennan (who I don't particularly think we'll get rid of either this year) ahead of Ladson.

It has to be at least 8 players because:

We will up Kirkby and Young permanently to the top side (2 to go);
We will finish bottom two and almost certainly get a priority pick (2 to go);
We will want to pick a player out of the PSD (1 to go);
We will want to get at least 3 other players from the draft (3 to go).

Could well be 9 if they want to punt on an extra player from the draft.

I agree with all your axeings, but wouldn't be surprised to see Barker kept on for one more year due to our lean KPP stocks.

The coaching panel would not axe Miller or Brennan ahead of Ladson at this point, no chance.

Its pretty obvious whos gone now...

Certainites:
N Holland - time is up, gave it is all, his body let him down.
M Ball - had his chance last season, suprisinlgy hasnt got a game this season.
D Scott - wasn't good enough. VFL quality only.
S Beaumont - not in the future plans, could get a gig somewhere else though.
B Kane - injuries have ruined his chance, didn't show enough last season.

On edge:
J Barker - his time looks up, Croad has been preferred at CHF and he should get a farewell match with Holland though.
S Greene - unfortunately hasn't been given enough chances this season. Will play AFL at a new team next season.
A Lekkas - we;'ve seen the best and worst of Lekkas since his courageous comeback. It's upto him if he wants another crack next season.
B Dixon - hasn't kicked enough goals this season, started well but has faded in the last 2 months.

There's nine players futures who are unclear.

Than there is Robbie Campbell and Bo Nixon. Will they get a final season to show there worth?

Young should be elevated off the rookie list and maybe even Kirkby.
Lonie, Ries, Miller, Brennan, Ladson will stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CyberKev said:
It has to be at least 8 players because:

We will up Kirkby and Young permanently to the top side (2 to go);
We will finish bottom two and almost certainly get a priority pick (2 to go);
We will want to pick a player out of the PSD (1 to go);
We will want to get at least 3 other players from the draft (3 to go).

Could well be 9 if they want to punt on an extra player from the draft.

I agree with all your axeings, but wouldn't be surprised to see Barker kept on for one more year due to our lean KPP stocks.

The coaching panel would not axe Miller or Brennan ahead of Ladson at this point, no chance.

Fair enough as always CyberKev, eight does seem about right. I just feel there's more than enough delisting/trading fodder on the list without resorting to getting rid of guys who fill a need and have genuine upside. Remember - he is still only 21 years old.

As a sidenote, it will be interesting to see if we do end up utilising the PSD, given ACs comments regarding our precarious position for season 2006 with regard to the salary cap. I certainly hope we do, even a 2nd tier type like Blake Caracella (who would have been available had we kept our pick last year) could make a big difference given the likelihood of us clearing out multiple veterans.

Hodge_is_God said:
Fair enough as always CyberKev, eight does seem about right. I just feel there's more than enough delisting/trading fodder on the list without resorting to getting rid of guys who fill a need and have genuine upside. Remember - he is still only 21 years old.

Look, if Lekkas decides to hangup the boots, then I'll be happy for Ladson to stay on, but I really feel its either/or. We can't just axe players who we feel are effectively the 8 worst on the list (alas) as we also have to consider depth in certain positions. On top of that, we need to bear in mind contract matters (which is why Ries will stay, groan) and ensuring enough experience remains at the club to bring youngsters through (hence the need to possibly retain Barker & Lekkas).

Hodge_is_God said:
As a sidenote, it will be interesting to see if we do end up utilising the PSD, given ACs comments regarding our precarious position for season 2006 with regard to the salary cap. I certainly hope we do, even a 2nd tier type like Blake Caracella (who would have been available had we kept our pick last year) could make a big difference given the likelihood of us clearing out multiple veterans.

That's another thing I don't get. One minute the media is telling us we'll have a million sitting there to splurge on players and the next thing Clarko is saying contract restraints will limit our capacity to get players through trades and the PSD???!!!

I thought he made it clear early in the season that contract matters wouldn't be an issue at the end of this season?

Honestly, mixed messages!!!

CyberKev said:
We will up Kirkby and Young permanently to the top side.

Kirkby I doubt. Will probably/likely keep on the rookie list (allowed two seasons on it) and give him another year to mature. There's no rush to elevate him and it keeps a valuable spot open on the list.

Other than that the rest of it I reckon you might go pretty close on.

Grendel said:
Kirkby I doubt. Will probably/likely keep on the rookie list (allowed two seasons on it) and give him another year to mature. There's no rush to elevate him and it keeps a valuable spot open on the list.

Other than that the rest of it I reckon you might go pretty close on.

You may be on to something there.

What are the options for rookie list players?

If another club wanted to punt on Kirkby can they get hold of him in any way, or force us to put him on the main list, or is he locked on our list for two years regardless?

If that's the case then there would be no major reason for us to up him, although if we don't hold on to Barker, they probably will just to have another KPP type who is available to play for the top side.

A lot will depend on whether we get the priority pick or not. Most people consider us a certainty, but its not a laydown misere just yet. It also need be considered that Collingwood are also well in line for a PP.

The priority pick would enable us to pick up another quality KPP type with our second choice.

I think no matter what happens, we will axe 8 from the current list.

I hate to say it, but the big challenge for us next season will be to sneak out of the bottom 4.

In an ideal world, we'd pick up the likes of Ellis, Dowler, Warnock & Tuck in the upcoming draft, but I suspect that whoever we get, none of them are likely to be genuine 2006 options. The likes of Warnock would really be a 2008 debut player.

Effectively, we'll have a smaller than desirable list of genuine top level types to pick from next season, and will most likely struggle as is, let alone if we endure a bad injury run.

The option is there for us to retain him and as far as I'm aware that'd lock him onto the list for another year providing of course that Roury agrees. He may want to nominate for the draft again but you'd imagine that'd be unlikely.

I suppose it nothing else, at least it (draft conjecture) will give us something to talk about over Sept/Oct anyways.

Cheers.

Bennycoff said:
Lonie, Ries, Miller, Brennan, Ladson will stay.
Correct, Bennycoff, your prediction will prove to be so.
Bennycoff said:
Young should be elevated off the rookie list and maybe even Kirkby.
Yes. Just change the wording to 'will be'!

Timmy Boyle was apparently on SEN recently, and stated he was going to have the pins removed from his broken leg so he can begin his preseason early rather than return for the last game or two & really gain some strength/fitness for a big 2006 :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladson broken wrist...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back