Lang Park

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
Went up to Brisbane for a week & saw the cowboys game in Rd 1. I was quite impressed by the stadium. The city itself is a complete hole, but the saving grace is its proximity to the Gold Coast, which was fantastic, as well as Suncorp Stadium.

I'm still to be sold that it's a better venue than Stadium Australia when SA is full, but it craps on Aussie Stadium, which is Sydney's biggest rectangular venue.

So I think it qualifies as Australia's best rectangular ground, marginally edging Olympic Park.

PS: Littleduck where have you been on msn - i was gonna see if you were going to that game as well. Good on the Cowboys :thumbsu:

MightyFighting said:
Lang Park looks pretty good on TV, I'll give it that.

But what's wrong with the SFS?

I always feel like I'm a million miles away from the action regardless of where the ball is, where I sit or what sport I'm watching.

dr nick said:
Went up to Brisbane for a week & saw the cowboys game in Rd 1. I was quite impressed by the stadium. The city itself is a complete hole, but the saving grace is its proximity to the Gold Coast, which was fantastic, as well as Suncorp Stadium.

I'm still to be sold that it's a better venue than Stadium Australia when SA is full, but it craps on Aussie Stadium, which is Sydney's biggest rectangular venue.

So I think it qualifies as Australia's best rectangular ground, marginally edging Olympic Park.

PS: Littleduck where have you been on msn - i was gonna see if you were going to that game as well. Good on the Cowboys :thumbsu:

Good game that one.

Whereabouts did you sit?

dr nick said:

Nothing will ever come close to surpassing the atmosphere of the old Lang Park, especially on State of Origin night, but also on Grand Final Day.

The new Lang Park is easily Australia's premier football stadium (excluding cricket grounds), with daylight second.

busy at uni. i didnt go. i didnt even watch the replay on 9. i listened live on the radio at uni.

dr nick said:

Gee, I was there myself. Was wearing a Sydney FC strip.

Was great to see the evil Broncos lose.

Good luck to the Cowboys. I was at the airport that night & saw how down-to-eath they are, signing autographs & redily talking to anyone who want to talk with them.

I reckon they are clear favourites for the Premiership mate.

JF

PS:- You should have joined myself at the Swans-Tigers trial on the Gold Coast the night before mate.

littleduck said:
its a concrete toilet bowl.

Have you actually been there though? I like both grounds. Ok, Suncorp has pizzas & a bigger capacity.

But how you can say that Aussie is a "concrete toilet bowl" whilst Suncorp is not is beyond me. :confused: :rolleyes:

JF

JF_Bay_22_SCG said:
Have you actually been there though? I like both grounds. Ok, Suncorp has pizzas & a bigger capacity.

But how you can say that Aussie is a "concrete toilet bowl" whilst Suncorp is not is beyond me. :confused: :rolleyes:

JF
the sydney football stadium does not have a soul, lang park certainly does..

littleduck said:
The new Lang Park is easily Australia's premier football stadium (excluding cricket grounds), with daylight second.
Telstra Dome?

BTW, I've been to Lang Park and seen the plans for the new League/Soccer stadium in Melbourne >>>>>>>>>> Lang Park for looks!

The new stadium at Olympic Park will be a sight to behold :thumbsu:

littleduck said:
its a concrete toilet bowl.

I'm sorry, but I have been to both stadiums and will admit that despite the northern ground's mod cons (Eagle Boy pizzas! YUM :D ) I do still prefer Aussie Stadium. Not only are the seats more comfortable but the rows are further apart. Unlike at Suncorpse you can get past others in your row without them having to get up.:thumbsu:

But my major reason for liking Aussie over Suncorp is the simple fact that at Aussie the seating is UNRESERVED. This means that you can just rock up on the night buy a ticket at the gate and sit where you like. As somebody who runs a supporters group organising things like group bookings of tickets is a bloody nightmare. Having a ground like Aussie where you can just meet your mates at the gate just makes things so much less of a hassle. At Broncos games their Black Zone mofos behind the goals need to buy a season ticket there to be guaranted a sport there each week.

Furthermore at Suncorp the fans are NOT allowed to bring anything into the ground. Drums are banned, flagpoles over a certain heights are completely banned. This basically negates any sort of hope of getting decent supporter groups organised & only helps in further destroying an-already dying flag-waving culture amongst rugby league supporters. At the match I assume all of us were at you would have have noticed that there was any sort of Cowboys supporters together at all. :thumbsdown:

Meanwhile at Aussie.
SydneyFCCove.jpg

img04247qm.jpg

JF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussie absolutly craps on Lang pa... oh that's right you have to call it Suncorp or they (Suncorp) will get upset.
As a patron who has been to both grounds I can safely say this.
We had a mate who came down from Brisbane (Broncos season ticket holder) and he sat in the Chook Pen (Roosters cheer squad) and he was in total shock that we had flags, banners, cut-up, drums, chants and songs etc. and he even said 'This would never happen at Suncorp'

The old Lang Park now that did have a soul. Can someone say origin?

Ideasman said:
Aussie absolutly craps on Lang pa... oh that's right you have to call it Suncorp or they (Suncorp) will get upset.
As a patron who has been to both grounds I can safely say this.
We had a mate who came down from Brisbane (Broncos season ticket holder) and he sat in the Chook Pen (Roosters cheer squad) and he was in total shock that we had flags, banners, cut-up, drums, chants and songs etc. and he even said 'This would never happen at Suncorp'.

Further to Choppies/Ideasman's point.

Rooster_fans_4040931.jpg

ChookPenvsDragons.jpg

JF
PS:- Littleduck has been OWNED once again. :D Next time COME TO GAMES to get the true picture. (Let me guess, your idea of violence at the football is throwing your pillow at the tele! :rolleyes: )

I certainly dont want to be sitting somewhere near halfway with some bl00dy idiot in front of me waving a great big dirty banner the whole game so I cant see the field of play, and I dont think most other people want that either.

Over-sized flags should be banned, or at least confined to the one area in the general admission areas at either end where they wont get in anyone's way.

littleduck said:
I certainly dont want to be sitting somewhere near halfway with some bl00dy idiot in front of me waving a great big dirty banner the whole game so I cant see the field of play, and I dont think most other people want that either.

Over-sized flags should be banned, or at least confined to the one area in the general admission areas at either end where they wont get in anyone's way.

Mate That bay on the 40 metre line IS the designated bay. That is just the too much suncorp coming out in you. Let's have a dead atmosphere like at Broncos games. c'mon it's fun sitting on our hands and not cheering our team on.

MightyFighting said:
"My! What big flags you have, grandma-ma!" said Little Red Riding Hood.

"All the better to obscure your view with," said the big bad Rooster.

WTF! :mad: Giant flags are a Sydney tradition. All the NRL clubs have them & we have them at the Swans & Sydney FC as well:cool: :thumbsu: .

The people sitting in the bay the flags are in are all known as the Chook Pen in any case. They buy their season tickets there, so are well aware that there may well be people waving giant flags in their midst.

The flags are only waved when a try is scored in any case. It is not as if you are really missing any of the action. :rolleyes:

JF

ps:- You don't work as an MCG Security staff member do you? :rolleyes:

littleduck said:

So what you are saying is to give all the part-timers & bandwagoners the good seats where they can do bugger all. And give the week-in week-out fanatics the crappiest seats so they can create an atmosphere & create colour, but only in any area where the bandwagon jumpers can't see.

You wonder why people in Brisbane dislike the Broncos so much. It is because they are all part-timers & sit there like drones waving their inflatable hands & cooing at the cheerleaders doing handstands whilst the game is on.:eek:

Littleduck, you have once again proven that you are bandwagoner who never goes to games & have no idea about the importance of maintaining a supporter culture in today's football stadiums like myself & IdeasMan are.

JF

JF_Bay_22_SCG said:
WTF! :mad: Giant flags are a Sydney tradition. All the NRL clubs have them & we have them at the Swans & Sydney FC as well:cool: :thumbsu: .

The people sitting in the bay the flags are in are all known as the Chook Pen in any case. They buy their season tickets there, so are well aware that there may well be people waving giant flags in their midst.
I was only joking. I didn't think people would take my Little Red Riding Hood reference so seriously.
JF_Bay_22_SCG said:
The flags are only waved when a try is scored in any case. It is not as if you are really missing any of the action. :rolleyes:
Why do South Sydney fans bother to bring them then?

;)

JF_Bay_22_SCG said:

JF

ps:- You don't work as an MCG Security staff member do you? :rolleyes:
As I said, in a designated large flag waving area its fine... but large flags should be banned from most of the grounds because it serously impedes your view if your sitting nearby and trying to watch.

JF_Bay_22_SCG said:
So what you are saying is to give all the part-timers & bandwagoners the good seats where they can do bugger all. And give the week-in week-out fanatics the crappiest seats so they can create an atmosphere & create colour, but only in any area where the bandwagon jumpers can't see.
week-in week-out fanatics should have a season ticket in the premier seats sure.. but it doesnt mean they should be allowed to wave large flags about anywhere they like in the ground.

although, i do admit some suburban Sydney grounds seem perfectly suited to flags in most areas... but the modern all-seater venues dont.

You wonder why people in Brisbane dislike the Broncos so much. It is because they are all part-timers & sit there like drones waving their inflatable hands & cooing at the cheerleaders doing handstands whilst the game is on.:eek:
thats not the reason, or even a reason.

Littleduck, you have once again proven that you are bandwagoner who never goes to games & have no idea about the importance of maintaining a supporter culture in today's football stadiums like myself & IdeasMan are.
You seem to be trying to link a strong supporter culture with "flag waving" and a model diehard supporter as a "flag waver".... personally, i think thats nonsense.... sure its good fun, and it suits some, but you dont have to be a flag waver to be a diehard supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lang Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back