Lard Arse

Remove this Banner Ad

Then tell me where is the 195cm plus tree that we can pluck out some outstanding replacement given the amount of shite levelled at Mitch Clark.

MJ is tall. But he doesn't play tall. The fact that he's 195cm confuses the fact that he doesn't play effectively as a KP. It's hard to find 195cm KPs. MJ isn't a KP, so he can be substituted for a mid sized flanker as that's what he plays like. They're a lot easier to find.

Then, explain to me if Michael Johnson is not a KPP player why he was playing half his games as one on the forward line AND still get pummelled by fans. Surely he is being played out of position.

Chris Mayne was played as a KPP, so if the first sentence is an argument that MJ is a KPP because he was played as a KPP, then it isn't a winner. The second sentence is absolutely correct though, so if that was your point then I agree with it.

Granted but then Hill, Ibbotson, Duffield, McPharlin don't either. Bugger me if Ibbo isn't the softest player in the history of the club. And some of Hill's efforts over the course of the season were pathetic.

I'd actually contend that Duff is softer than Ibbo, and MJ is a very close second to Duff. McPharlin doesn't throw himself head first into packs, but somehow is an AA level KPD. Never noticed Elvis being soft, so it can't be that much of an issue. I've seen Hill and Ibbotson battered and belted around a bit over the past month or two. Haven't seen the same from MJ. But agree re: Duff. And yep, Hill has been very soft a number of times throughout the year. The difference with the other guys (except for Duff and MJ) is that they actually generally get to a number of contests. MJ's work rate isn't particularly good.

I'm not arguing he was shite. I'm arguing that he is hard to replace with something better.

Based on the the performance in the last game I'd agree. But based on the rest of the season before that, I'd disagree. One great game, and several acceptable/OK ones in a season of 22 isn't saying much.

Waffle above.

I'm not saying that MJ must be delisted either. But he needed to be dropped back to the WAFL for a few games to remind him what was required. That didn't happen.

:confused:
So if we start winning a guy who was in the leadership group until he got arrested for snorting coke down a laneway, has been at the club for 8 seasons, and hasn't played consistently well since 2006 will pull his finger out? Well good on ya Mr Johnson, where do I send the Thankyou card?

That's what strikes me. Up and down form, poor character, low work rate, poor body shape. Yet he was in the leadership group. He wouldn't even be in the best 22 of a premiership club, but Fremantle considered him a leader.

Dagg mentioned Ibbotson as soft, but he too is in the leadership group.

Harvey certainly hasn't brought any of the hard edge we were expecting. We're as much of a soft headcase as ever.

If you're talking softies in the leadership group, you can't really go past Pav either.

Roger Hayden put his body on the line time and time again and would have been an ideal role model. Was he ever named in the leadership group?

If you're talking softies in the leadership group, you can't really go past Pav either.

Roger Hayden put his body on the line time and time again and would have been an ideal role model. Was he ever named in the leadership group?

Was more of a doer rather than a sayer. Maybe he didn't want the job? Agree that he was a great example though. If Suban and De Boer aren't in the leadership group then they should be... quick smart.

Suban was offered a leadership position after his first season but declined, saying it was too early in his career and he wanted to concentrate on learning the game and becoming a better player... I think that in itself displays excellent leadership. He should be in there in the next year or two IMO.

It has just come to me. The "physique", the pointing. We've seen it before.
Et_phone_home_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

He's an alien

Still yet to read a sensible post from anyone who follows an EPL club or similar.:(

Please don't tell me you think the performance of Johnson & others have been acceptable this year.........unfortunately Freo have always accepted mediocre performances.

I as a senior citizen feel I will NEVER see Freo play in a GF let alone win one.

If this does not change all of you in the largely 20+ year old demographic of this site will look back in 20-30 years on Freo's 2006 PF as the equivalent of the WB's 1954 premiership.........that's really really F**king sad!

MJs performance wasnt much better last year apart from at end of year an in finals.

If MJ could get his head right an put in more effort he could be a very good player.
Its the story of his whole career so far.
Enormous amount of talent just instead of working hard he cruises through his career as an avg player with ability to be so much more.
Harvey has said it many times that he wont drop MJ coz he knows what he CAN DO an when he plays well hes extremely valueable.
Trouble is he plays avg week in week out yet continues to get games just based on what he can do, not what he has been doing.

The talent is there just needs a kick up the ass to try an get him to realise his full potential instead of just cruising through his career as just another avg footballer.

I cant see them making a stand on him an dropping him or threatening to put him up for trade.
So he will never realise his full potential an will continue to be nothing more than avg.

For that reason i would trade him to GC or GWS.

I would much prefer they got him taking footy seriously an getting abit more bulk.
But its never happened yet so it wont ever happen while he is here.

I'm not sure he has the body type to be overly bulky ...

Anyway, not sure if covered elsewhere, but the 'tubby physique' thing came up again on One Week at a Time. Chris Scott was the special guest and Darcy put the question to Chris about MJ's fitness and he answered along the lines:

He's never had elite endurance that's for sure [think that's what he said, was a bit hard to pick] ... but you're right about one thing he's an elite talent. He could be an A grader in this competition

And he said in emphatically too.

Now the key words there are 'elite/A grader' and 'could'.

Anybody who doesn't rate him as a raw talent don't have a clue AFAIC - he is exceptionally talented player, good reader of the game, good mark, pretty good skills all round. But that bit 'COULD' stares at you. A lot of talent there not being realised.

Frustrating player to have in the list ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody who doesn't rate him as a raw talent don't have a clue AFAIC - he is exceptionally talented player, good reader of the game, good mark, pretty good skills all round. But that bit 'COULD' stares at you. A lot of talent there not being realised.

He's getting into his late 20s. 'Could' is turning into a 'will never'. His best season was five years ago, and by a fair margin. Looking exceedingly unlikely he will be anything except a talented B grader who goes missing most games.

Anyway, not sure if covered elsewhere, but the 'tubby physique' thing came up again on One Week at a Time. Chris Scott was the special guest and Darcy put the question to Chris about MJ's fitness and he answered along the lines:

These are the people you get rid of.

Seriously, two coaches have ahd a crack at getting the best out of this bloke, with very little return.

Get rid of him.

He actually trimmed down heaps after he arrived at the club.

He was also unable to train much for the first half of the season.

You know, I say something and it just goes in one ear and out the other.

You obviously think I am making a direct comparison with Andrew Embley or Quentin Lynch.

You nong.

Take your pick of people that have actually achieved something...anything. It would still be more than this very average footballer, who seems to get away with being shit because he's...tall?

Johnson has has one half decent season since he got here, with the highlight of snorting coke off a milk crate.

Your comparison is shit

I'd love to hear/read an argument that shows why Fremantle actually need a replacement for MJ.

Because generally when something doesn't work, you replace it.

Too succinct?

Because generally when something doesn't work, you replace it.

Too succinct?

But what exactly are we replacing in Johnson? Not replacing a key position player, not replacing a midfielder. Replacing a guy who has done nothing for this club. Easier just to get rid of him all together without the need to replace him

If something has no discernible worthwhile function why do you need to replace it?

We can hang on for the realisation for potential forever .... but the damage done to the team work ethic by allowing a player to coast is huge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lard Arse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back