Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

According to O'Connell, taking Carr's old number in the first place wasn't even his decision.
"I didn't pick four," O'Connell explained. "I was actually 9, and then Tyree (Wilson) wanted 9, so they gave 9 to Tyree. That was like in the first week I was here last year. And then they gave me 4, and as a rookie you kind of do what you're told."

Now wearing 12

Jakorian Bennett and Brandon Facyson are leading the position battle at cornerback,” Reed wrote. “The Raiders have two clear starting cornerbacks in Jack Jones on the outside and nickelback Nate Hobbs, but the other outside spot is up for grabs.

“Perhaps rookies Decamerion Richardson and M.J. Devonshire will enter the mix at some point, but right now it’s Bennett and Facyson jockeying for position. They both were on the field with the first-team defense with Jones missing practice Tuesday, so it’s hard to delineate the pecking order.”

Face Palm No GIF

When the Las Vegas Raiders kick off their 2024 season, it will mark Marvin Lewis' NFL coaching return.
The longtime former Cincinnati Bengals head coach stated Wednesday that the inspiration behind his return was quite simply assisting head coach Antonio Pierce.
"I think just the opportunity to really assist AP," Lewis, the Raiders assistant head coach, said Wednesday when asked what appealed to him in taking the role. "From the time that I first met him and had the opportunity to coach him, and then the opportunity to kind of reunite again later on at Arizona State -- so kind of was in a similar role at one point there with him there as well, being in support of him, I just have been really impressed all the time with him. Back to 2002 with the now-Commanders, I guess. So, it's just this opportunity."
Lewis was the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens from 1996-2001, helming an all-time great 2000 defensive squad that keyed the franchise's run to a Super Bowl XXXV triumph. After his Ravens tenure, he spent one season as Washington's DC in 2002 before moving on to become the head coach for the Bengals. In that '02 season, Lewis coached a 24-year-old Pierce. Pierce's best playing seasons were still in front of him, but he clearly made an impression on Lewis.
"I knew he was driven as a player," Lewis said.

You guys signed QB Carter Bradley....he was one of my super sleepers
  1. no one should discount undrafted free agent Carter Bradley. He can make the roster and possibly earn playing time down the road.
    At this year's Senior Bowl, which featured two future first-round quarterbacks in Michael Penix Jr. and Bo Nix, Bradley was the most consistent passer throughout the week. He combined for 5,995 passing yards and 50 total touchdowns in his two seasons at South Alabama.

Brock Bowers could be seen doing a little bit of everything Wednesday morning. The tight end lined at in multiple spots in similar fashion to what he was accustomed to doing at Georgia, showcasing both his pass catching and rushing abilities. Overall, it was a good day for the tight end room, with big gains from Michael Mayer and John Samuel Shenker.
Mayer and Bowers were both fantastic college prospects, but they couldn’t be more different as players. Mayer is the traditional tight end who lines up on the line of scrimmage. Whereas Bowers is more of an H-back than a traditional tight end. He can play in the backfield, outside, and everywhere in between.

Look for the Raiders to do everything in their power to ensure that Bowers and Mayer are on the field together a ton in 2024. And don’t be surprised if the Raiders end up playing two or more tight ends on 50 percent of the snaps next year.

Chandler Jones still accounts for just under $12.3 million of dead cap in 2024, nearly half of their $25 million dead cap figure. So, that will go down as one of the worst signings in franchise history. Luckily, this is the last year the Raiders are on the hook for Jones and they do still have plenty of funds available despite that waste of money.

Chandler Jones still accounts for just under $12.3 million of dead cap in 2024, nearly half of their $25 million dead cap figure. So, that will go down as one of the worst signings in franchise history. Luckily, this is the last year the Raiders are on the hook for Jones and they do still have plenty of funds available despite that waste of money.
Javon Walker takes the cake

Javon Walker takes the cake

That 2008 off season was nuts. Tommy Kelly massive extension. Signed Gibril Wilson and Javon Walker in free agency to ridiculously large contracts. Then traded for DeAngelo Hall which at the time theoretically gave the Raiders the best corner trio in the league and arguably the best secondary in the league.

Of course, Hall lasted 8 games, Javon Walker nearly retired before week 1, and Gibril Wilson's biggest contributing factor was this ripper of a quote after a 24-0 shutout at home to the Falcons:

During the week, we look like we're a Super Bowl team.

• The offense got rolling in the second half of practice. Aidan O'Connellmade a few impressive throws to the likes of Alexander Mattison, Jakobi Meyers and a would-be touchdown pass to Jalen Guyton with two defenders draped over the receiver. It was a great catch by Guyton, but O'Connell put it right where it needed to be. "Aidan has come a long way," Maxx Crosby said. "Just seeing his maturity and seeing how he's starting to talk back. ... Seeing him come back at us is awesome to see."
  • While the quarterback competition is headlined by O'Connell and Gardner Minshew II, Anthony Brown Jr. also made a few good throws down the stretch including a touchdown pass to rookie running back Dylan Laube.
  • WIth the new kickoff rules being implemented this upcoming season, the Raiders are taking a look at anybody and everybody for returner roles. Tuesday's practice was highlighted by Laube, Nate Hobbs, Jack Jones and DJ Turner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• According to cornerbacks coach Ricky Manning Jr., Hobbs' evolving role within the secondary could be extremely imperative for the 2024 campaign.
    "Nate is the key that unlocks our defense," said Manning, who played six seasons in the NFL. "That nickel spot is very special, that star spot is very special. Being able to play inside and outside is a unique characteristic to have. ... That's what Nate Hobbs is, that's what the star position has become. He's the key to unlock our defense and he's great at it.
    "He can continue to ascend, and with his growth, our defense grows. Our defense grows and it allows PG [Patrick Graham], our coordinator, to call certain things because he can trust that Nate can get it done and get it communicated to everybody and we can work well together."

As an astonishing surge of heat envelopes the U.S. West Coast, Las Vegas is poised to hit 118 degrees on Sunday and again on Tuesday, a reading that would surpass the city’s all-time record high temperature of 117 degrees, with records going back to 1937, according to the National Weather Service.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back