Remove this Banner Ad

WCE_Phill

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Juventus
Will Mark LeCras retire as our greatest goal kicker in history?

Peter Sumich, leads the way with 513.

I think the frenchman will fall just short, banking on him being injury free and playing 200 games and continueing on his great average of 2.41 goals a game. That would see him land on 482. So he could go very close

I think he'll end up kicking more than sumich. Because even if he spends a few years in the midfield its likely his last few will be almost entirely in the forward line.

It's a big call to even contemplate it.
You'd think he'd improve that average with experience (he's 23) and as the team improves, but it is just too far in the future to make any form of educated prediction.

Huge call. I doubt it, but he could end up in the top handfull of goalkickers for the club which would be a great effort. Our of interest, how many is he on at the moment?

Edit - 174 goals from 72 games. Loooooooooooong way to go, let's not get carried away.

Sumich only played FF. I can't remember him even playing at CHF. LeCras won't beat Sumich. As for Matera? Really depends if he moves into the middle which I think as of 2011 -2012 he will play 50 -50 forward/midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he plays for another 10 years which is possible and averages 30 goals a year which is also possible if he does get midfield time thats another 300 goals ending with 470.

If the unlikely happens and our midfield kids become so awesome that we dont need lecras there he should be able to average in the 40's a year... say 40 a year for 8 years is 320 added to his current total equals 524 goals plus whatever he is able to kick for the remainder of the season.

You would also include the fact we will have a few years with 23, 24 and 25 games rather then 22.... he would probably have to play 250 plus games though.

It depends on how he's rotated over the next few years.

Whatever happens, it wouldn't bother me too much. LeCras could fall 150+ short, and still be the better player.

I'd rather have Lecca in my team than Sumich.

I think Lecca will turn out to be midfielder, despite my initial sceptisism.

I can still remember his first game at the MCG. I think it was in 05 forget who it was againist ended up kicking 5 I think and wasn't 3 of them in the first quarter? You knew he was going to be someone special after this game. I can still remember the channel 10 game comment they put on the screen for each quarter below the team's score and stats and for the first quarter it said

Oh la la Mark LeCras!!!!

I can still remember his first game at the MCG. I think it was in 05 forget who it was againist ended up kicking 5 I think and wasn't 3 of them in the first quarter? You knew he was going to be someone special after this game. I can still remember the channel 10 game comment they put on the screen for each quarter below the team's score and stats and for the first quarter it said

Oh la la Mark LeCras!!!!

Yeh I remember that too, it was against Richmond im pretty sure.

I remember coz we were desperately looking for any sort of forward at that point :eek:

On Another note word must of got back too the motherland of France, watchin tour de France last night 4 ********s wearing eagles jumpers running with the peloton haha..
Gee the LeCras bandwagon travels far and wide...

You can't compare suma with LeCras 2 different players still have fond memories of suma tearing all them stuck up Vic teams a new arseh*le thru the late 80s and 90s, both great players.

I'd rather have Lecca in my team than Sumich.

I think Lecca will turn out to be midfielder, despite my initial sceptisism.

Until LeCras dominates finals series like Sumich - i'll take Sumich every day of the week.

Unfortunately for Suma - his tail end to his career was a very sad decline.

He averaged something like 4 goals a game in finals football from 1990-1994. That is exceptional.

He had poor finals series in 1996 & 1997 - however in reality - he shouldn't have been in the side as his form hadn't warranted it for 3 years.

How do you find that out??

Suma's 72nd game - just went to the site and figured out when his 72nd game was.

Out of interest - after 72 games;

Older players

Peter Hudson - 409 goals
John Coleman - 376
Peter McKenna - 281
Doug Wade - 237
Gordon Coventry - 178

Modern Day

Tony Modra - 293 goals
Jason Dunstall - 267
Saverio Rocca - 246
Gary Ablett - 242