Leigh Matthews - 8th in all-time disposals, 8th in all-time goals kicked, 1st in all-time GOATness

Remove this Banner Ad

So it seems as I'll just have to accept your non-answer of NO as your final answer... Blame Dipper, not me...

Dipper won a Brownlow too, so maybe he's the GOAT. He fits your criteria...

If we slant stats like Rainman then SOS is CLEARLY the greatest footballer in history.
SOS averaged 1.5 goals per game from full back !!

SOS was unable to nullify his opponent while playing full-forward. He fits maybe in the Peter Knights category of defenders who would sneak forward or play the odd game up forward, although Knights is probably a superior player. Btw, Peter Knights kicked 9 on SOS in his final year :eek:

Matthews on the other hand was able to keep all-time great midfield and all-time great forward stats simultaneously.

Sometimes I just sit back and think about how lucky we've been as Hawthorn supporters. Not only have we been fed premiership victories by the club on a regular basis for the past six decades, but the long list of wonderful players we've been privileged to see play for the brown & gold is simply without equal.

Matthews
Hudson
Knights
Ablett (gotta love that Geelong's best ever was also a Hawk!)
Dunstall
Brereton
Platten
Langford
Jarman
Crawford
Mitchell
I have to say thats a pretty impressive list. Add to that probably Hodge and Franklin as well and its close to the best dozen players in any club over that time frame.

SOS was unable to nullify his opponent while playing full-forward. He fits maybe in the Peter Knights category of defenders who would sneak forward or play the odd game up forward, although Knights is probably a superior player. Btw, Peter Knights kicked 9 on SOS in his final year :eek:

Matthews on the other hand was able to keep all-time great midfield and all-time great forward stats simultaneously.

SOS never played Full Forward.
He only played Full Back.
Check out his position in every GF he played in for proof. You know, the same stats you use to compare Matthews with .
202 goals from Full Back proves SOS was theBraan of football.

Under Walls' coaching he became an exciting and dangerous forward. When David Parkin replaced Walls in a second stint at Princes Park in 1991, SOS spent time at both ends of the ground. Later, he settled permanently into his most effective role at full back.
http://blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Stephen+Silvagni
Sorry FR. That is propaganda from Rainman who has hacked the Blueseum website.

The only relevant statistical evidence we can use is Rainmans Dick Harris vs Matthews named position in GF's precedent.
Therefore SOS is the Bradman of football for kicking 202 goals from Full Back.
Now thats impressive SOS.

Sorry FR. That is propaganda from Rainman who has hacked the Blueseum website.

The only relevant statistical evidence we can use is Rainmans Dick Harris vs Matthews named position in GF's precedent.
Therefore SOS is the Bradman of football for kicking 202 goals from Full Back.
Now thats impressive SOS.

I must have missed the memo...

One thing I do know is that Matthews played as a permanent forward a lot more than SOS.

Matthews didn't play a lot of permanent forward, he was always mixing it up in the middle.

I don't think Silvagni denies he played FF either. As opposed to Ablett who for some bizarre reason pretends he never played out of the goalsquare prior to 1993 lol :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Matthews - 8th in all-time disposals, 8th in all-time goals kicked, 1st in all-time GOATness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back