Leigh Matthews

Remove this Banner Ad

-PC28-

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2002
Rockin' In My Rockin' Chair
I know Rohde is starting to fall on the wrong side of a lot of people here, and i'm suprised no one's mentioned this to be honest, but Leigh Matthews is out of contract at the end of this year. He has an option to sign for one more year, but hasn't decided as yet.

Would you consider him? I'd put him in the top 4 coaches in the league.

We've been told we're going to go after some talent... Does this include the coach?

I figure:

Clayton signs for 3 more years, Matthews signs for us for 3 years with an option for a further 3.

All of a sudden, we have part of the formula that has taken Brisbane to back to back premierships...

Originally posted by Isdogisgood
There is no way he would consider coming to the bulldogs.

Why?

If our admin thinks like that we may as well pack up now. We have to think positive and get into the market and jostle for the rich pickings with the rest of them. Sometimes you have to make a significant investment in order to improve your position.

Weak clubs only become strong is they make wise choices ;) .

There is no way he would consider coming to the bulldogs.

Why? If he wants to coach, and not at Brisbane, and we were prepared to pay him what he wanted? Why not?

Both teams he's coached, he's taken to premierships. He's a premiership player, we'd surely be insane not to chase him.

Originally posted by The Doctor
Why?

If our admin thinks like that we may as well pack up now. We have to think positive and get into the market and jostle for the rich pickings with the rest of them. Sometimes you have to make a significant investment in order to improve your position.

Weak clubs only become strong is they make wise choices ;) .

Ok, I agree...if he is available we should go after him...but my personal opinion is that he won't be available and even if he was he would not want to coach a bottom team. I may be wrong...probably am...if i was in his position i would be after a challenge. I think the coaching position should be evaluated after the season...i hate talking about sacking coaches.

Ok, I agree...if he is available we should go after him...but my personal opinion is that he won't be available and even if he was he would not want to coach a bottom team. I may be wrong...probably am...if i was in his position i would be after a challenge. I think the coaching position should be evaluated after the season...i hate talking about sacking coaches.

I agree we need to evaluate the coaching at the end of the season. But there is nothing wrong in getting your plans in place just in case. It's hypothetical at this stage anyway.

So why would Leigh Matthews want to coach the Bulldogs?

For much the same reason he wanted to coach the last placed Brisbane Bears (or was it Lions?) when he was appointed their coach at the end of 1998. Brisbane had just won a wooden spoon and Lethal would have to leave his beloved home state to try and coach in the hosile to AFL football environment known as QLD.

If Matthews was prepared to do that I can't see why he wouldn't be prepared to give us a go. We produce something like $18- $19m in income. Spending $650-750k on Matthews is not a lot in the grander scheme of things particularly when you consider what such an appointment could mean in terms of new members and sponsors and re-signing key players and attracting new players. Above all the premiership Know How that he brings.

The appointment of a coach the calibre and standing of Leigh Matthews may very well be the most important decision this club could ever make.

Methinks Matthews' talk may be to get a better deal out of the Lions.

How much would he be on? Surely we'd have to fork out an extra $500 - 600k which we don't have.

Does he like a challenge?

Logically with Rohde, a young, inexperienced coach coaching young, inexperienced players isn't necessarily a recipe for future success.

From what I read of Leigh Matthews he likes a challenge - maybe we are that challenge.

Honestly can we afford him, he seem happy with what he has done at Brisbane and talked of his happiness with the players and the closeness of them all.

If we can get him will he mix well with the club, will he get what we are looking for out of the players.

Originally posted by TADS
From what I read of Leigh Matthews he likes a challenge - maybe we are that challenge.

Honestly can we afford him, he seem happy with what he has done at Brisbane and talked of his happiness with the players and the closeness of them all.

If we can get him will he mix well with the club, will he get what we are looking for out of the players.

Matthews could get a fish to walk on land :)

Lets return to the real world, Matthews is earning s**tloads in Brisbane coaching a premiership team.
He has already achieved a miracle by breaking Collingwood's premiership drought.
We can't afford it. A couple of extra sponsorships doesn't mean we are out of trouble financially and if we do have some extra cash to spend we have uncontracted players to sign.

Matthews coaching the Dogs would be like Sir Alex Ferguson leaving Man Utd and managing Bolton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by SCRAY72
Lets return to the real world, Matthews is earning s**tloads in Brisbane coaching a premiership team.
He has already achieved a miracle by breaking Collingwood's premiership drought.
We can't afford it. A couple of extra sponsorships doesn't mean we are out of trouble financially and if we do have some extra cash to spend we have uncontracted players to sign.

Matthews coaching the Dogs would be like Sir Alex Ferguson leaving Man Utd and managing Bolton.

I think Doc said it before, sometimes you have in invest a little to get a lot. I think Matthews would be worth the investment.

Maybe we could get a coach sponsor? I don't know, but i think he'd be worth the money.

As for that dig about Fergie and Bolton, that's just mean.

He said on monday night that he would be at Brisbane "In the medium term".

We have given the gig to Rohde so we should get behind him. He wasnt my first choice but he deserves more than half a season to show us what he can do.

Originally posted by -PC28-
1-1-11?

Lots of current players will not be at the club next year. Players that the coach needs to implement a more productive game plan will.
We are in a very good position for an instant lift next year. We will get great draft picks but we are far from the worst team in the competition. We need to show faith in the current administration and coach (note I didnt say coaching staff).

Originally posted by localyokel
Much better idea than Matthews. I would even go for a guy like Alves before Matthews. Matthews is overrated.

Three premierships in 14 years? Not a bad record. I don't think he's over rated.

As for Rohde - he has his good points and his bad points... I'll leave it at that.

Originally posted by -PC28-
Three premierships in 14 years? Not a bad record. I don't think he's over rated.

As for Rohde - he has his good points and his bad points... I'll leave it at that.

I just think that Rohde makes all the right noises and has been a victim of circumstance. If he can make us more accountable-and he needs longer than 5 minutes in the job before we can judge whether he can-then he will be worth it.
Remember he his fighting against a culture in our club that has been prevelant for the last 5-10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Matthews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back