Delisted Leo Connolly

Remove this Banner Ad

A clever outside ball user, Connolly has the right traits to play that running game in transition with nice skills, speed and a willingness to take the game on. He is set on building more of an inside game which will come with strength and also more resistance to opposition pressure which can sometimes impact his decision making. Averaged 65.7 per cent by foot but just 27 per cent was contested. Connolly has plenty of nice moves on the football field, able to use his speed to advantage when coming off half-back or along the wing which helps his versatility. At just 74kg he is still quite light, but his smarts and creativity in trying to open the game up for his teammates is important. While at times he can make mistakes, he always throws himself a challenge in the game trying to win the ball and gain as many metres as he can, to open up the field for his teammates. In 2019, Connolly almost doubled his disposal average from 11.5 to 20.0, while moving from one tackle to two – though it is still an improvement, but more importantly, averaging 4.6 rebounds per game.

Leo training with the backs, by the look of this with Billings also in shot.

1609921356504.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 06: The grass is cut as Saints players take to the field for a St Kilda Saints AFL training session at Moorabbin Oval on January 06, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

Sure hands. Sharp focus.

1609921573319.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 06: Leo Connolly of the Saints in action during a St Kilda Saints AFL training session at Moorabbin Oval on January 06, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

View attachment 1048804

Leo hard at work. The future is near...
Well there's a few blokes I wish we hadnt dumped but I guess that's show biz....but I'm so glad we kept him and I'm glad Bytels there still. I wish we had Mayo along side him. Mr X Factor himself Matty Parker and even the Groot but it has been extraordinary times.......i spill a few drams in their honor and may they live long and prosper. Having said that the above photo sure captures some focus and prospects...I pray he lives up to it ..One really gets the sense that this is OUR time.........GO SAINTS you ******* beauty!

I think the girls have elevated my spirits and the feel is that Our Purple Patch is ahead....

View attachment 1048804

Just in relation to
View attachment 1048804

I post the Neo Classicist painting by Jacques Louis DAVID, (The Oath of Haratii 1783 ..not quite 1873 as in the photo, but same numbers .lol!) not in jest but to draw attention to what the Photographer may or may not have been aware of in his composition..A direct relationship to the Classical virtues of the Greek and Roman Cultures at their most potent. To Truth, Beauty, Proportion, Strength, Power and Control.
The thrust of the hands and spears in both photo and painting,diagonally dissect the painting...devloping the sense of power, focus and rationale the sense of purpose..the stoicism the need to devote all to the glory of the state and in our case the state being the Glory of the future that will be that of the SAINTS. I do indeed love those relationships be they intended or by more subtler random variables...chance, hope and faith...but I do believe that something special this way comes SAINTS..

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Just in relation to
I post the Neo Classicist painting by Jacques Louis DAVID, (The Oath of Haratii 1783 ..not quite 1873 as in the photo, but same numbers .lol!) not in jest but to draw attention to what the Photographer may or may not have been aware of in his composition..A direct relationship to the Classical virtues of the Greek and Roman Cultures at their most potent. To Truth, Beauty, Proportion, Strength, Power and Control.
The thrust of the hands and spears in both photo and painting,diagonally dissect the painting...devloping the sense of power, focus and rationale the sense of purpose..the stoicism the need to devote all to the glory of the state and in our case the state being the Glory of the future that will be that of the SAINTS. I do indeed love those relationships be they intended or by more subtler random variables...chance, hope and faith...but I do believe that something special this way comes SAINTS..
Love your take, prophetic1. I thought the photo was inspiring as well for all that it captures and conveys. I love the double play on the word est as well in the mural on the wall.
1612087237987.png
I think the fact that Connolly, who is still only 19 years of age, is developing a reputation for being one of the more considered yet penetrating kicks in the club speaks volumes for his potential. The question will be is he able to impose himself physically at the top level either with run and speed or contested body work and tackling.

I hope he comes on physically, because his skill set with the ball in hand and footy IQ would improve us greatly.

b72584ab3e59b615cb4bb3e2c43637f1.jpg

Love your take, prophetic1. I thought the photo was inspiring as well for all that it captures and conveys. I love the double play on the word est as well in the mural on the wall.
View attachment 1048878
I think the fact that Connolly, who is still only 19 years of age, is developing a reputation for being one of the more considered yet penetrating kicks in the club speaks volumes for his potential. The question will be is he able to impose himself physically at the top level either with run and speed or contested body work and tackling.

I hope he comes on physically, because his skill set with the ball in hand and footy IQ would improve us greatly.
Wow that is a great observation didn't even get it but thanks just adds further to the hidden power and magic of the visual image...it all augers well for Leo and for the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George I came to post that photo of Leo here (#15) then neglected to go back to the pre-season training thread for the other photos. Is it easy enough to move them across?
Hi mate I just got around to this now. I moved them to the pre-season thread and left the first picture here, is that what you were after?

Hi mate I just got around to this now. I moved them to the pre-season thread and left the first picture here, is that what you were after?

Yes!

Thanks heaps George.

Leo Connolly
"Leo’s playing off half-back and whenever he’s got the ball in his hand we know something’s going to happen.

"He’s really creative, got a lot of good foot-skills and he’s put a lot of effort into the defensive and contest side of things over the whole pre-season. Leo knows what his strengths are and we do as well, so we want that from him whenever he gets a chance to get the ball in his hands.

"There’s still a bit of room to work on the fast defence side of things if we turn that ball over, but we’re in safe hands when someone’s giving him the ball at half-back.

"He’s almost like a Jayden Short from a couple years ago, can go both sides and clean at ground-level. The poise that he’s got and the ability to see tha game probably a second before his opponent is something that’s really exciting for his future."

Leo Connolly
"Leo’s still finding the consistency of what makes him a really good player, and once he gets that down-pat he can start to work on the other sides of his game.

"Whenever he’s got the ball in his hands he’s elite for us. It didn’t happen as much as the previous couple of weeks, so it was a bit of a down week in that sense.

Lao.jpg

Leo Connolly. Photo: Corey Scicluna.
"He’s continually improving on defending those smaller forwards which is really important for us, so we’re going to need that down there, especially on a small ground for all our home games at Trevor Barker Oval.

"A good learning curve game for Leo, and I’ve challenged him to bounce back and build that consistency moving forward."

“Leo was strong again, he got more attention this week, so it was a good learning experience for him.

“Teams are starting to notice his impact off half back, so he got a bit more attention, and didn’t have the same type of impact that he had in the previous couple of games.

“He was still good for us up and down the ground, but it was beneficial for him to see that not every week will be like the ones gone by, and how to deal with that type of attention.”

im not his advocate because I didn’t want to jinx him , but we share the same last name so I really hope he gets a senior game soon and becomes a star for us .

1624629877182.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 25: Paddy Ryder (left) and Leo Connolly of the Saints (centre) celebrate during the 2021 AFL Round 15 match between the Richmond Tigers and the St Kilda Saints at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on June 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1624630017796.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 25: Debutant, Leo Connolly of the Saints in action during the 2021 AFL Round 15 match between the Richmond Tigers and the St Kilda Saints at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on June 25, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back