Leon Davis - a chance at redemption

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I think it's fair to say that Leon Davis polarises opinion. Some love him and others are sceptics. Irrespective there is no doubt that Davis's career is slurred by his percieved poor finals record. His selection this week represents an opportunity. A good game this week will put the doubters to bed and make up for past history. This is a chance at redemption.

Yep. His final chance at redemption, I might add. Fail on Saturday and I think it's time to cut our losses with him.

I'm in favour of playing him this week. Let's hope he does well.

I love Leon when he's on song. I am nervous about how he will go in the GF because of his past history, but hopefully he will erase all those bad memories this time.

I hope he just focuses on being a tackling machine in the forward 50 early in the game and the possessions will hopefully follow. If not at least his forward pressure may be enough to get us home.

I was shattered when we got to the game last week and found out he was out. I had spent the past 7 hours on the trip down from Canberra arguing with my two mates that Leon was going to smash the game to pieces and shut up the critics - particularly them! So...I am now hoping that i was just a week out with my prediction and that he turns it on this week.

At least i won't have those two in the car trip back this week if he doesn't though...that was a loooong trip!!!! Thank Jeebus we won!

Yep. His final chance at redemption, I might add. Fail on Saturday and I think it's time to cut our losses with him.

I'm in favour of playing him this week. Let's hope he does well.

Unfortunately I think you're right here. I've been a Davis fan forever, against my better judgment at times, but now is his time. It's his to do with what he wants. History both in finals and over this year is against him but there is no doubt that at his peak he is a match winner and gamebreaker. It's why he is in the side this week. I hope he proves everyone wrong and pulls out one of those mercurial performances - I think all Pies fans are hoping for this.

I think Leon will do well. He had 2 weeks off which means he will be fresh, and last time he played St Kilda he did a good job(unlike against Geelong).

Leon has the X factor, anything is possible....and I am hoping for the best.

I'm not expecting any magic from Leon. Even he admits that "I'm not getting any younger" which to me was a sign of waving the little white flag. Provided he sticks to the game plan and tackles, harrasses, spoils and ensure that the ball doesn't get out of the F50, then he will have fulfilled his role. If we get a goal or 2 out of him, then massive bonus for the team.

He will take one of St.Kilda's better backmen.

Who will be his opponent ?

I love Leon.

Just not in finals. Mick just cost us a flag. I'm sorry, I know I made a promise to be positive, and until THIS selection was made, I WAS being positive. But Mick is purposely making it VERY hard for me to have confidence in us winning.

Playing in a Grand Final with 21 players is just asking for trouble.

I pray Leon proves me wrong, but 10 years of not performing in finals isn't going to just change overnight. No matter how much you all want it to.

I think it's fair to say that Leon Davis polarises opinion. Some love him and others are sceptics. Irrespective there is no doubt that Davis's career is slurred by his percieved poor finals record. His selection this week represents an opportunity. A good game this week will put the doubters to bed and make up for past history. This is a chance at redemption.

Totally agree, it's on the line for Leon.

A bad game by him, in a loss by us...his epitaph is done.

A bad game by him in a win by us...will be glossed over in the euphoria, by many except for the discerning ones.

A good game by him in a loss...small consolation

A good game by him in a win...he's a hero.

PS toast to you Quicky for the line , "Some love him, some are skeptics" rather than the more obvious, but less accurate, "Some love him, some hate him"

You couldn't really hate Leon, though you could potentially be disappointed in how he goes sometimes.

Personally, I'd have preferred Medhurst be given the games late season and be playing this week.

Just hope he presents a bit on Saturday, gives an option in space sometimes, as well as the crumbing bits, tackling etc

I hope Mick sat him down and 'eye-balled' him and said "Leon this is your time - don't let me down" You can go down in history as a Collingwood premiership player or walk off being remembered as a good player:)

Dont' get me wrong. I can understand the theory.

- Leon provides X factor
- He needs a minder. You HAVE to be wary of him
- He can lift both the crowd and the team
- He can be used as a rotation option through the midfield
- St.Kilda don't really have a match up for him. Baker would be run off his legs

So I can see the logic. But Leon in finals defies all logic. I hope I'm wrong, but ONE decent finals performance out of 14 or so doesn't bode well for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont' get me wrong. I can understand the theory.

- Leon provides X factor
- He needs a minder. You HAVE to be wary of him
- He can lift both the crowd and the team
- He can be used as a rotation option through the midfield
- St.Kilda don't really have a match up for him. Baker would be run off his legs

So I can see the logic. But Leon in finals defies all logic. I hope I'm wrong, but ONE decent finals performance out of 14 or so doesn't bode well for us.

He's due.

Sorry, what? You said the team had lost its hunger and would not win the flag.

No. I made a promise to Opti after the Hawks game that for finals I would stay positive.

RIGHT after the Hawks game I had the hunger attitude, but after being badgered so much, I made a concerted effort to be positive. Mind you, I've been positive for a fair while outside the Adelaide Hawthorn spell.

And I still feel my concerns were valid. I didn't feel such a young team could just turn it on for finals. Which is hardly unreasonable. Yes, they've proved me wrong, and that's great, but Leon Davis' under performance in finals isn't some aberration, it's the standard.

I can hardly be blamed for doubting this particular selection. And it's not like I'm the only one. MANY other members who have been part of the positive camp lately have condemned this decision.

Quicky you are spot on. Somehow i thought he would play this week. His value, status and worth at the club has, and is measured beyond any statistic.

Its intense pressure in a circumstance of incredible pressure for the club.

We all hope he makes it, the alternative is that he wont don the strip again.
I think on this occasion, on the field tomorrow, he will show that MM's faith was well placed and he will perform his role. Dont expect miracles; but redemption is at hand.

No. I made a promise to Opti after the Hawks game that for finals I would stay positive.

RIGHT after the Hawks game I had the hunger attitude, but after being badgered so much, I made a concerted effort to be positive. Mind you, I've been positive for a fair while outside the Adelaide Hawthorn spell.

And I still feel my concerns were valid. I didn't feel such a young team could just turn it on for finals. Which is hardly unreasonable. Yes, they've proved me wrong, and that's great, but Leon Davis' under performance in finals isn't some aberration, it's the standard.

I can hardly be blamed for doubting this particular selection. And it's not like I'm the only one. MANY other members who have been part of the positive camp lately have condemned this decision.

I'm sure everyone agrees in some way, but to say Mick has lost us the game by selecting Leon is disgaceful. Hang on to those emotions and save them for tomorrow.

Go Pies!!

terrible decision bringing him in...

absolutely no need to do so and looks like MM wanted to be sentimental rather than smart

this decision has ensured the Saints are now in with a chance, prior to the 2 inclusions you guys were home and hosed

brought in a veteran who hasnt played for ages into the Big Dance against quality opposition and then bring in a known underachiever who has offered little for a long time now...

The Sack and Brown can count themselves as very very unlucky

Presti is fit. He has done this as long as i can remember... Has a few weeks off and doesn't skip a beat. I am confident in his ability to quell Riewoldt. Davis offers more to our structure than Goldsack. Not to mention he has kicked 26 goals this year. I'll take him to a final everytime if he can produce one of those that will win us the game... ala Melbourne round 2!

Common boys get off his back! Otherwise i'll make you all print your posts out so you can eat your own words. LOL

Guys, the teams are not finalised yet, as MM said he still has not decided on the final 22 and this will be confirmed after training today.

I agreed with the Leon decision, he is no longer there to kick goals his main priority is his forward pressure and he has been successful in doing so - he is the highest tackler in the league inside 50.

His second priority is to kick goals but the dawes, dids, cloke and averaging 10 goals kickers per game he is not relised upon to kick goals.

He is not as dmaging anymore as he has lost his ability to recover from contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Leon Davis - a chance at redemption

Remove this Banner Ad

Back