Les Murray rips into Pim Verbeek

Remove this Banner Ad

"There was cause for much rejoycing, team governers who didn't believe in the team they were governing were now immaterial and embarrased sideline spectators"

Geez that's a bit harsh.

Okay, this is turning into an absolute wank very very quickly.

His speech in full:

Good evening from Cape Town, and welcome to the World Cup show here on SBS One. The dream ended for Australia in the early hours of this morning and there was much sadness and sorrow and the image of a tearful Lucas Neill will long linger.

But paradoxically there was cause for much rejoycing, team governers who didn't believe in the team they were governing were now immaterial and embarrased sideline spectators, as the young men who had always believed in themselves rose again to prove to the rest of us that they were creatures of substance and honour.

We desired and expected no less and no more. Results in the cruel and capricious world of football are determined by many things, among them luck, over which the combatants can have no control. And it has to be said that with two questionable send offs in two games, the cards fell badly for the Australians.

But in the face of that the one constant, which was in the hands of the players, their will and their capacity to fight and to overcome remained unshaken and unchallenged. It was that, and not selection and tactics, which beat Serbia this morning. As we always thought it would.

We here on SBS had asked repeatedly for you to have faith and to believe and to trust the players. In this we were not wrong. The players delivered and put those who didn't believe to shame.

We now move proudly and in sweet content to the next chapter and face the bitter winds of the future with defiance and our chins held high. Allow me to quote Winston Churchill who said "Success is not final. Defeat is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

We move on. A chapter is complete, the mission continues. Four years ago after Australia was cruelly eliminated from the World Cup by Italy in a bizarre bit of refereeing I sat before you to say that football is not about justice. And it isn't still. But it is about honour, respect and glory. These young men reminded us again of that this morning. We thank them for the sense of pride we now feel as Australians

Biggest piece of wank I have ever typed out in my life. My god.

They are laying it on dreadfully thick aren't they?

I wouldn't mind hearing this Dutch interview with Pim to see if it was as bad as Foster is making out.

Fossie kicking him big time too now.

He just said that after the Germany game Verbeek came out and made disparaging comments about the players in the Dutch press. Foster said they (as in Les and Fos) knew about it but it wasn't something they thought they should bring up at the time.

I'd love an unbiased account on what Verbeek actually said. That is no doubt the catalyst for the character assassination that Les and Fos have just pulled out of the bag.

He just said that after the Germany game Verbeek came out and made disparaging comments about the players in the Dutch press. Said they (as in Les and Fos) knew about it but it wasn't something they thought they could bring up at the time.

I'd love an unbiased account on what Verbeek actually said. That is no doubt the catalyst for the character assassination that Les and Fos have just pulled out of the bag.
Where's the proof? There is no doubt that if it's true it would have come out, whether it be on the internet, or through their media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats this guy on ? A team thats never been in the top 20 team in the world doesnt make the final 16 of the world cup. I dont understand all the fuss.

hardly lost a game for two years + breezed through qualifying.

Entitled to their opinion...

Dim Pim sold Australia 'up the farm'

He never believed in his own players and it showed. Always thought he was too good to coach Australia..
FACT is he was never worthy..

They really ripped into Pim didn't they. Craig Foster was a lot more harsh than old Les was though.

Thought it was a bit over the top. OK Pim stuffed up in the Germany game but he did a pretty good job in the last two games and got us through qualification.

He just said that after the Germany game Verbeek came out and made disparaging comments about the players in the Dutch press. Foster said they (as in Les and Fos) knew about it but it wasn't something they thought they should bring up at the time.

Bench shows we're out of our depth against big guns: Pim

Quotes of what he said to the Dutch newspaper.

Whilst Les's rant was OTT, Pim should not be going to the Dutch press mid tournament to try to restore his credibility and slag of his own players. What did Ruka do to deserve this?

"I have Rukavytsya, who wasn't good enough for FC Twente second team. Because I don't have any better, I have to use him as a substitute."

Complete lack of class from Pim.

He never believed in his own players and it showed. Always thought he was too good to coach Australia..
FACT is he was never worthy..

Don't know about the last part of the quote but the first part is crucial and explains why Foster and so many others are pissed with Pim.

The most crucial aspect to any successful team is belief. Belief in not only your own ability but that of your fellow teammates and of the management. If you do not have that, then you are hoping at best.

Pim was guilty of destroying belief in his own team. If you look at the results, yeah he's been ok, but he has caused damage because his pessimistic view of the world has bagged the A League which lets face it is still in the infancy stages and conceded and had our players believe that they couldn't beat Germany.

Germany came out and played like certainties they were because they had heard all the negative crap that was spouting from our camp and they put us to the sword.

The last two games were great, against the odds we had a crack and 4 pts was a great result.

Q. What if Pim had believed a bit more?

A. Fair chance we would be lining up on the weekend

As a Manager / Coach it is unforgivable to kill the belief of your team.

Foster / Cockerill and Les may be over the top at times, but they got this right and they are entitled to call him out for it.

As for Pim, he won't give a toss - he's taken the money and run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Les Murray rips into Pim Verbeek

Remove this Banner Ad

Back