Leuenberger's lti

Remove this Banner Ad

Sammy94

Debutant
Jan 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was wondering who everyone thinks we will upgrade now that leuy's been placed on the LTI list?

Crisp?
Newell?
Harvey?
Michael?

The only reason I mentioned Michael is because he's a ruckman.

I reckon Crisp is first in line, because of the fact he has proved he can play during the NAB cup and has played some decent footy at reserve level.

The other two I reckon are our second and third best rookies, that's why I included them.

As far as I am concerned, just why Luey was allowed to start the season under a cloud and has broken down, to be unavaiable for a long time, with something that was a known problem is abigger issue.

Now on the LTI list, & Billy Longer is in print as saying that Bergs reckoned it was"" ïnevitable" So it obviously was NOT manageable.

Methinx,purely from my uninformed perspective, our medical/fitness staff have blown it, again. If he had preseason issues he should have been cottonwooled till 100% Not brought ion to the season with an ïnevitable" problem.

Too say that I am less than impressed is an understatement.

Yeah I tend to agree with all of that BuntonRules. Why play Leuy in every pre-season game? Makes no sense to me. (Again without the benefit of any inside knowledge that would make me think differently).

I would say it is almost certain we are going to elevate a rookie to play this weekend - otherwise what is the point?

If that is the case - Voss seemed to like Crisp in the pre-season, so my money would be on him. In the pre-season he didn't stand out to me either way as been particularly good or bad, although I obviously haven't seen him play in the reserves.

The 'inevitable' comment surprised me. If that is the case then it really was poor injury management.

I'd hazard a guess at either Harvey or Michael. Harvey seems the most developed of those suggested while Michael is obviously ruck cover.

I don't think they will promote anyone just at the moment. They need to have a slot to promote Michael if there are more problems with the rucks. I can't see them taking the risk of promoting someone else and then Hudson going down and Longer being left to ruck on his own.

I would say it is almost certain we are going to elevate a rookie to play this weekend - otherwise what is the point?

I think with Leuenberger's injury being roughly the minimum time required to be on the long term injury list, they opted to do it now to give themselves the option of elevating a rookie listed player over the next eight weeks. They longer they delayed it, the longer they would have had to wait before Leuey was eligible to play again.

I think with Leuenberger's injury being roughly the minimum time required to be on the long term injury list, they opted to do it now to give themselves the option of elevating a rookie listed player over the next eight weeks. They longer they delayed it, the longer they would have had to wait before Leuey was eligible to play again.

Makes sense.

It might be that they're just covering themselves in case Hudson and Longer both go down at some point. Michael might find himself getting thrown to the wolves.

Makes sense.

It might be that they're just covering themselves in case Hudson and Longer both go down at some point. Michael might find himself getting thrown to the wolves.

As horrible as it sounds, I would like to see that. I'd like to know how Sam will go at senior level. Apparently his fitness and work rate is quite high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so much negativity on the board ATM, about Leuy, at the end of the day his injury is one where he gets last call on if he can play, medical team will treat it and manage it but you can play through it..
probably 20 players in AFL running around with the same thing, he got unlucky and it pinged..

Jack Crisp looks a player, how some players get overlooked at the draft completely with clear AFL skillsets baffles me..

I'm guessing if he plays he'll be the sub. He could be an option to go with Swallow like in the NAB cup.

Odd decision imho.

Promoting now indicates he is in line for selection and although he played really well in one of the NAB games, I would have thought others have played better than him in the ressies. Especially in last week's game.

It's clear that he is a Vossy favourite which definately gives you an arm chair ride selection wise. Playing favourites seems to be a weakness of Voss and that has to unsettle the camp.

Odd decision imho.

Promoting now indicates he is in line for selection and although he played really well in one of the NAB games, I would have thought others have played better than him in the ressies. Especially in last week's game.

It's clear that he is a Vossy favourite which definately gives you an arm chair ride selection wise. Playing favourites seems to be a weakness of Voss and that has to unsettle the camp.

Quigley I enjoy your posts immensely but I think you're being unfair on Voss on this occasion.

We don't know even know what changes have been made to the side for this round. Also he has been one of the best performed of those on the rookie list and if the club was going to elevate one based on form, Crisp would probably have been in the box seat.

I also think that last paragraph is completely unsubstantiated.

Odd decision imho.

He was head and shoulders above our other rookies during the NAB cup and I think I read was BOG against Broadbeach two or so weeks ago.

Quigley I enjoy your posts immensely but I think you're being unfair on Voss on this occasion.

We don't know even know what changes have been made to the side for this round. Also he has been one of the best performed of those on the rookie list and if the club was going to elevate one based on form, Crisp would probably have been in the box seat.

I also think that last paragraph is completely unsubstantiated.
I agree with ZoBlitz on this one. I think "he's playing favourites" is a easy way to explain away selection decisions that fans don't agree with.

Last year, Sheldon was the "favourite". This year, he got dropped after a quarter of footy (and not the worst quarter he has played either). Is he no longer the favourite all of a sudden? Or is it more likely that another explanation is at play? I think the latter (in this case, the availability/improvement in Beams, Bewick etc).

There have been plenty of accusations that Stiller is a favourite. The bloke had one bad game (following a pretty good one) and was dropped. Moreover, he was due to play his 100th game. Again, if he was a "favourite", surely he would have been given another opportunity last week.

I think Voss values certain attributes. If you model those attributes, you increase your chances of getting games. But I can't think of a successful coach who hasn't taken the exact same approach. The big question is whether Voss values the right attributes - that's a more valid argument than "Player X must have photos".

Considering coaches are professionals in a high pressure, performance based industry, I imagine their "favourites" are the players that are most likely to play well and improve the team.

Or Voss is a masochist and is deliberately sabotaging his own career by keeping better (but less favoured) players out of the team...

Or he's just too stubborn to admit when he is wrong.

Some players have played shockingly for extended periods and not looked like developing into players of the quality we will need when we are playing finals and yet have retained their positions.

Others have had to knock the door down and if they have one quiet game they are immediatly out of the side.

Sometimes people including coaches (and me I will admit) have trouble letting go of their prejudices.

FWIW I usually really like to see players like Crisp being given a go. Not sure why I am a bit negative on this one. Maybe I am just disappointed that Green wasn't given a go after some good games and that Beams was dropped for Crisp just two weeks after getting the Rising Star nomination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leuenberger's lti

Remove this Banner Ad

Back