Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
Hey guys

Sorry to invade your board, but as a Swans fan I always thought LJ was capable of great things and was somewhat saddened to see him go - so I'm curious to know where he's now at. Is he any prospect of getting a game this season and how do you see his future outlook at the club?

Thanks

Hey guys

Sorry to invade your board, but as a Swans fan I always thought LJ was capable of great things and was somewhat saddened to see him go - so I'm curious to know where he's now at. Is he any prospect of getting a game this season and how do you see his future outlook at the club?

Thanks
Has probably been a victim of all round good form in the crows side. Is certainly behind a couple well performed players in Tippo and walker. Has been quite good in the sanfl and consistent without doing anything spectacular. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run at some point.

Also had been question marks over attitude at times, although you my be able to help us out with info on that one...

Is supposedly second in the goal kicking in the SANFL, but as cammo says he's struggled to set the world on fire, he's just consistently notched up his 2-3 goals a game. 3 years ago, that probably would have put him in our side, but with Tippett and Walker both firing and the club preferring a KPF/Ruckman as third tall.

From what I can tell he is not even close to breaking into the side. maybe he simply doesnt have the size yet. He would easily be behind Tom Lynch as well.

It's hard to tell how close he really is because we really do just have so many blokes playing really good footy in the SANFL.
And also because our forward line is functioning really well at the moment. There's absolutely no chance of Walker and Tippett being dropped and the rest of our forwards are small-mid sized players, so unless the structure changes then there isn't really room for another tall forward.

And also because our forward line is functioning really well at the moment. There's absolutely no chance of Walker and Tippett being dropped and the rest of our forwards are small-mid sized players, so unless the structure changes then there isn't really room for another tall forward.

There might be a temporary position opening up over the next 2-3 weeks... :(

Any regret in trading Armstrong?

There is obviously more of any opening for Armstrong down back (though he is keeping Malceski out), but he's starting to show some great form for us.

Any regret in trading Armstrong?

There is obviously more of any opening for Armstrong down back (though he is keeping Malceski out), but he's starting to show some great form for us.

None at all. He was borderline delist material for us, played a game so far outside that he was on Max Basheer Reserve, and did nothing but short kicks sideways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He asked to leave, I believe...we didn't want to get rid of him.

We offered him a small contract that was all he was worth - he wanted to go home. Many of us here thought he was delist material, many of us still think he's no good and not going to make the grade. Not a single regret that we got rid of him, even if Johnston ends up cut in a year or two.

I thought johnston was suppose to play back? Thats what he hinted at his presser when traded..

You won on that one, Johnston is not even close to getting a game.
He is a 21 year old tall forward trying to crack into one of the best forward lines in the AFL. He is one of the best goal kickers in the SANFL this season. There is no rush to put him into the team. One more preseason before he starts getting games. We were never going to get an immediate return nor do we need to judging by our ladder position.

Many of us? He played a few decent games and never had a decent run. The outside part of our game is one area that is lacking and he seems to be helping Sydney in that area, a team who is in direct competition with us for a spot in the top 4. They've gained a player, we haven't so far, that has to be a regret.

He is a 21 year old tall forward trying to crack into one of the best forward lines in the AFL. He is one of the best goal kickers in the SANFL this season. There is no rush to put him into the team. One more preseason before he starts getting games. We were never going to get an immediate return nor do we need to judging by our ladder position.

And next year whose spot will he take?

And next year whose spot will he take?
I said games. Not that he would become a permanent fixture in the squad and take someone's spot. If it were up to me he would take Vince's spot and we would change from our three tall/ruck structure to a more traditional structure. I, however, am not the coach. The team will eventually open up for people like Lyons, Lynch and Johnston etc. when our dream-run with injuries comes to a grinding halt. Were it not for this he would probably be in the team already just like several others. I think people are starting to develop short memories, we would have killed for someone playing like Johnston is at the moment this time last year. Most other clubs would be playing him in his current form. Put it this way I don't think we did badly out of the deal. We picked an athletic tall forward with good skills and natural goal sense, not something you would expect in return for a potential delistee.

I still think it was a good trade. You have to keep in mind, at the time Walker was on a 1-year extension and Tippett's future is uncertain even now (although i think he'll stay). Our tall stocks were low after losing Davis/Bock and we badly needed depth. We added talent in Johnston/Lynch at low cost and we'll head into this year's draft able to pick best available rather than filling a need as a result.

i have asked this question myself, when is it going to be lewis johnstons turn up forward. having watched him play he is pretty similar to tex he goes missing at times and then does some great stuff,bobs up with a few goals in the end.to me he is proberly in the top three natural marks in the club,he certainly is equal with tex at being the best kicks at the club and general field play for kpp is pretty good as well.as an 18 year old all australian chf,played all his junior footy at chf ,plays chf for the roosters and now tex is out for 3. now i realize lynch deserves his chance and meckernen but what an opportunity for lewis. now heres the thing he has been told he is a backman and will not play forward for the crows.why do they try to change natural players when there is an opportunity that presents itself like this one now.

I can't beleive that the club would shut the gate on a forward spot for any player.
He would not have been recruited as a backman. If he is a natural forward with good marking and disposal skills he would be wasted anywhere else, we are not that blessed for talent that we can arrogantly say to a player that his only hope of a league spot is to relearn your football in the backlines. if this is the case he needs to be doing this now in the SANFL otherwise he's in limbo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis Johnston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back