Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

I dont know how Richmond fans can actually type that Baker is a gun, or plays whatever role he wants at a "very high level". He can play any role at a very high level compared to an average non sports person, but hes just a decent/good player in whatever role he gets put in. If a team has depth in every line his value is very little, to a Carlton or Sydney I doubt youd get more than a late 2nd rounder offered as they have depth.
As West Coast are building depth still, im sure an early 2nd rounder will suffice.

Is he better at any specific role than your typical 15-20th best player at a middle of the ladder side? No, hes not.
Is he a nice player to have as he provides some flexibility? yes
Does this sort of player demand a mid first round pick with 0 outstanding traits? No
I will laugh if anybody tries to tell me that his "leadership qualities" or "how hard he is at the ball" or "loyalty" brings a mid 2nd round value back up to pick 10

Its hilarious how much you guys overrate him
I mean he was better than the 15-20th best players in a side that won three flags in four years and if anything he’s improved since then

I can’t understand how Richmond’s recent history has seemingly been erased in this thread

I don’t see a team this year (of which apparently couldn’t see a use for Baker) who would challenge the Tigers team of that dynasty (of which Baker was a first 22 lock)

I mean he was better than the 15-20th best players in a side that won three flags in four years and if anything he’s improved since then

I can’t understand how Richmond’s recent history has seemingly been erased in this thread

I don’t see a team this year (of which apparently couldn’t see a use for Baker) who would challenge the Tigers team of that dynasty (of which Baker was a first 22 lock)
Baker was playing as a small defender back in them days with Rioli as a pressure foward
Clearly people posting these stats have no clue about Liam Baker and just look at his height and age

He is now, he wasn't at the time.

Of course they wanted more. Anyway it was a first rounder, I asked for examples where 1st round picks weren't given for players offered multiple long term deals.....

He'd be depth for us because he's not better than Nank and he's an average forward.

You're not getting Baker for a depth player and a shuffle of later picks....
Really?? Dawson finished 3rd in their best and fairest the year he was traded - Baker 6th last year at the Tigers.

Swans were also a much better side than the 2023 Tigers.

I dont think the Richmond premiership side was that good all over the ground, a few stars and a bunch of ok players whose strengths all worked for the game plan, which was not a high skill game plan or anything.

My point was more that Baker while a decent player overall, but hes not that good at any particular role that he would clearly push out a 15-20th best player in a middle sides best 22.

I see the narrative has moved to "role player"

Its an easy angle when you dont know much. He can literally play any line to a very high level so we talk him down as just a role player.

In a team without diabolical injuries, he can be a literal set and forget player for the next 5 years.

Off half back he is one of the best loose ball get players and straight line runners getting around which means he also wins plenty of the ball. Its uncanny how he does it so well at his size.

Playing forward or on ball, see above but add in his ability to disrupt other teams like no other. He is one of the best disruptors for a small in the game due to his courage and clean skills combined with a rare level of determination.

Pick 15 is his value as I have maintained since day 1. If he was contracted or younger, then its pick 10.

My guess is both teams feel dirty and that usually means a win win.
So you’re saying he’s worth more that Charlie Cameron cost in a trade.

Riiiiight.

😂

Liam Baker (Richmond) and his potential move home

“I think it'll become clearer in a month or two,” Duffield told SEN WA The Run Home.

“I think it's more likely that he comes home than stays at Richmond, but it's still a possibility that he might stay at Richmond.

“Over east, they're saying definitely West Coast if he comes, I still think both WA clubs are very much in the mix.

“I think Liam Baker will try and be good to Richmond on the way out if he leaves, which means he'll be looking at the compensation package and what draft picks might be available in terms of the trade.”

You sold the farm for Kelly yes or no?
you tell me.

Tim Kelly and Cats 2020 3rd rounder for..... Picks 14, 24 and eagles 2020 1st rounder.

Did it really set the eagles back 3-5 years? I dont know.

Ask me if the saints trade for Brad Hill was "Selling the farm" type trade which also happened in 2019.

Brad Hill and Dockers 2020 3rd rounder for.... Blake Acres, Pick 10, pick 58, Saints 2020 2nd rounder and Saints 2020 4th rounder.

you tell me.

Tim Kelly and Cats 2020 3rd rounder for..... Picks 14, 24 and eagles 2020 1st rounder.

Did it really set the eagles back 3-5 years? I dont know.

Ask me if the saints trade for Brad Hill was "Selling the farm" type trade which also happened in 2019.

Brad Hill and Dockers 2020 3rd rounder for.... Blake Acres, Pick 10, pick 58, Saints 2020 2nd rounder and Saints 2020 4th rounder.
Sorry didn't realise Kelly ended up at Freo.
My bad.

“I think it'll become clearer in a month or two,” Duffield told SEN WA The Run Home.

“I think it's more likely that he comes home than stays at Richmond, but it's still a possibility that he might stay at Richmond.

“Over east, they're saying definitely West Coast if he comes, I still think both WA clubs are very much in the mix.

“I think Liam Baker will try and be good to Richmond on the way out if he leaves, which means he'll be looking at the compensation package and what draft picks might be available in terms of the trade.”
A lot a of I thinks and sitting in the fence in that.

If he leaves and what ever team he picks will get the trade done. If Freo haven’t already moved on to the possible Warner and/or Bolton option in the future already.

Damn !!! Just when this was going to get fun with all the PSD threats

They always ruining things

Kind of exactly what Callum Coleman Jones said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot a of I thinks and sitting in the fence in that.

If he leaves and what ever team he picks will get the trade done. If Freo haven’t already moved on to the possible Warner and/or Bolton option in the future already.
Nah Freo are not out they will come back with a bigger offer

Freo and JL time is now and they need to take the next step and win a premiership

They will invest all they have to get quality players that have premiership in their blood

I dont think the Richmond premiership side was that good all over the ground, a few stars and a bunch of ok players whose strengths all worked for the game plan, which was not a high skill game plan or anything.

My point was more that Baker while a decent player overall, but hes not that good at any particular role that he would clearly push out a 15-20th best player in a middle sides best 22.
But very very effective. Stone wall defence mixed with chaotic attack at all costs, was pretty exciting footy I reckon

Nah Freo are not out they will come back with a bigger offer

Freo and JL time is now and they need to take the next step and win a premiership

They will invest all they have to get quality players that have premiership in their blood
I think Freo has a limit that is a lot lower than the Eagles.

They would be eyeing Bolton and Warner imo and Brayshaw OOC next year plus 2 rucks on huge coin.

Depends what Bakers priority’s are.
Stay loyal?
Head home for another chance of a quick flag?
Head home to the team you were a nuffie for as a kid and $$ and stay with a huge club?

We will find out over the next 3 months.

I think Freo has a limit that is a lot lower than the Eagles.

They would be eyeing Bolton and Warner imo and Brayshaw OOC next year plus 2 rucks on huge coin.

Depends what Bakers priority’s are.
Stay loyal?
Head home for another chance of a quick flag?
Head home to the team you were a nuffie for as a kid and $$ and stay with a huge club?

We will find out over the next 3 months.

Which team is closer to a flag ?
Freo still look well short of both Carlton & Sydney

How long is a piece of string with these things. Might be why you don’t really consider it especially a player like Baker who has won 2 already

Freo would be getting my money if I had to bet my house on it, I like their list build and Bolton or Warner would top it off to put them on the top 4 level imho.

The great thing about this sport is things change week to week let alone 3 years time.

How long is a piece of string with these things. Might be why you don’t really consider it especially a player like Baker who has won 2 already

Freo would be getting my money if I had to bet my house on it, I like their list build and Bolton or Warner would top it off to put them on the top 4 level imho.

The great thing about this sport is things change week to week let alone 3 years time.
Not sure they could afford both but i remember the days debating with Freo fans saying Bolton was only a small foward that was worth a 3rd rounder.

One day you might find that when you win flags you can afford to take risks topping up to win another
Dockers made a grand final in 2013. So close enough. You know for Non vic sides to make grand finals , stars have to align or be in line to be connected.

I wont be Shocked if Guys like Serong and Hayden Young get freo into a grand final in their prime years of 24-29 years old.

Dockers made a grand final in 2013. So close enough. You know for Non vic sides to make grand finals , stars have to align or be in line to be connected.

I wont be Shocked if Guys like Serong and Hayden Young get freo into a grand final in their prime years of 24-29 years old.
Sydney , Brisbane , Adelaide , Port and egles have done it and some multiple times
Richmond and Melbourne have done it interstate and whilst in Hubs

Dockers just need to get some campaigner in them and harden up i think

We've had some fair discussion in here and elsewhere but sometimes your arrogance (specifically big team arrogance) is pretty floggy when you chuck in these pot-shots at Freo. Freo are clearly a lot closer than WC to contending and have as much reason to be optimistic as any team out there given we are fielding the youngest team in the comp this weekend.

We might be behind Carlton and Sydney at the moment but Sydney scraped into finals last year and Carlton at this point last year looked like needing a new coach again. Sometimes it just clicks if you have the talent behind it.

We've had some fair discussion in here and elsewhere but sometimes your arrogance (specifically big team arrogance) is pretty floggy when you chuck in these pot-shots at Freo. Freo are clearly a lot closer than WC to contending and have as much reason to be optimistic as any team out there given we are fielding the youngest team in the comp this weekend.

We might be behind Carlton and Sydney at the moment but Sydney scraped into finals last year and Carlton at this point last year looked like needing a new coach again. Sometimes it just clicks if you have the talent behind it.
So what is arrogant or floggy about stating fact !
And how is me pointing out that 2 clubs sydney & Carlton are clearly ahead of fremantle ? which you also admit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back