Strategy List build: Draft, trade 2024-

Remove this Banner Ad

When Violet is at the Pies, will she become our best player, almost instantly?
To me it sounds like she will become or almost immediately become our best midfielder, once she's here. That’s saying a bit, l know, considering Davey, Cann and Bonnici in particular, but to me Patterson just sounds and looks a gun midfielder who leads from the front.
I have no doubt she will be captaining our AFLW side in the next few seasons...
She could maybe be the Naicos of the women’s team.

#3 Violet Patterson (Plympton / Glenelg)
Midfielder | 167cm | 09/01/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 4 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s

The skipper was heroic throughout the match, coming off sore after a knock late in the second term. At that point she had 11 disposals and was one of the busiest on the ground, and though a little quieter in the second half, still made her impact felt, bouncing back from that knock. She laid a huge run-down tackle on Russo inside defensive 50 that unfortunately was a little high, but overall really lead by example and brought the heat, while also having eye-catching plays such as her bursting centre clearance.

She could maybe be the Naicos of the women’s team.
She's a good player, but this is a little over the top haha. Will be a starter, but would likely play off a wing as Bonnici and Davey are obviously locks on the inside, and they'll rotate others through the third role.

Has some terrific traits, but still got a bit to work on. Athletic and tough as nails, could do with some polish but overall a good player. A second round type.

In saying that, if we have a top 2-3 pick then the player we'd select with that would be our best player.

Violet been invited to the state combine.
A bit stiff not to get an invite to the national combine.
Yeah was quite surprised at that. Numbers for the National Combine are very low, so makes me think nominations were even (makes sense, an impossible draft to predict) and being club-tied perhaps less clubs put in nominations for her.

She's a good player, but this is a little over the top haha. Will be a starter, but would likely play off a wing as Bonnici and Davey are obviously locks on the inside, and they'll rotate others through the third role.

Has some terrific traits, but still got a bit to work on. Athletic and tough as nails, could do with some polish but overall a good player. A second round type.

In saying that, if we have a top 2-3 pick then the player we'd select with that would be our best player.

Yeah was quite surprised at that. Numbers for the National Combine are very low, so makes me think nominations were even (makes sense, an impossible draft to predict) and being club-tied perhaps less clubs put in nominations for her.
Hey, a kid - or an amphibian in training in my case - can dream.

Was looking at the rankings, and the one would be perfect for us in the top 3, would be the #1 pick, unfortunately linked to GC lol
If we had a top 3 pick -- probably likely at this point, who would you think would be likely for us?

Was looking at the rankings, and the one would be perfect for us in the top 3, would be the #1 pick, unfortunately linked to GC lol
If we had a top 3 pick -- probably likely at this point, who would you think would be likely for us?
Ash Centra the easy choice from a Victorian perspective. Failing that, Zippy Fish. Fish wants to come to Vic, would complement our midfield and is legitimately everything we need in that spot.

I feel bad, but tbh this year I'm actually kinda hoping we lose a fair bit. Which is terrible I know, but the payoff will be far better long-term. There's a lot of players on the list who are either veterans or gap-fillers in terms of their age/potential. If you invest in this kind of draft and get a fair few kids in the door, you can change your club's future pretty quickly.

You'll still get good kids wherever you finish, but if you get a top three pick, then genuinely they would be our best player on the list. Like no one in the AFLW can kick like Centra. Literally. She's the best kick I've ever seen and is better than most boys I've seen. Harris is the most all-round ridiculous player with her elite athleticism - she's 180cm and can run 3.2 20m sprints (which is the girls equivalent of 2.9 for the boys) and has been dominating at state league level.

Fish is a mix of both - great kick and explosive - just clearly like 14 and 20cm smaller. Only issue with Fish is she does need inside mids feeding her the ball, she's not a first-possession winner. But if you've got those mids - like we do with Davye and Bonnici - then watch her go to work, she'll dominate.

Patterson is a first possession winner and probably pound-for-pound the toughest kid going around. Throws herself at everything and just a really good kid. Fish and Patterson together would compliment our midfield to no end because right now we have a couple of elite inside ball-winners, but a lot of our players are just good solid types, not exciting like most other teams. So reload, get stuck into the draft and build a premiership team.

Ash Centra the easy choice from a Victorian perspective. Failing that, Zippy Fish. Fish wants to come to Vic, would complement our midfield and is legitimately everything we need in that spot.

I feel bad, but tbh this year I'm actually kinda hoping we lose a fair bit. Which is terrible I know, but the payoff will be far better long-term. There's a lot of players on the list who are either veterans or gap-fillers in terms of their age/potential. If you invest in this kind of draft and get a fair few kids in the door, you can change your club's future pretty quickly.

You'll still get good kids wherever you finish, but if you get a top three pick, then genuinely they would be our best player on the list. Like no one in the AFLW can kick like Centra. Literally. She's the best kick I've ever seen and is better than most boys I've seen. Harris is the most all-round ridiculous player with her elite athleticism - she's 180cm and can run 3.2 20m sprints (which is the girls equivalent of 2.9 for the boys) and has been dominating at state league level.

Fish is a mix of both - great kick and explosive - just clearly like 14 and 20cm smaller. Only issue with Fish is she does need inside mids feeding her the ball, she's not a first-possession winner. But if you've got those mids - like we do with Davye and Bonnici - then watch her go to work, she'll dominate.

Patterson is a first possession winner and probably pound-for-pound the toughest kid going around. Throws herself at everything and just a really good kid. Fish and Patterson together would compliment our midfield to no end because right now we have a couple of elite inside ball-winners, but a lot of our players are just good solid types, not exciting like most other teams. So reload, get stuck into the draft and build a premiership team.

I think most of us would feel the same. One thing was clear yesterday between us and hawks was talent.
Because we rarely are down the bottom, our picks either get traded or most of the talents have gone. Taking a step backwards to go forwards may be what we need to do.

We've kinda wasted too long even when we were... okay, we were always blue collar- hard working, contested team. But the skills coming from the generation now, is something we need.

Speed. Elite kicking skills and IQ is something we desperately need. Some goal sense forwards would be nice too. Tall forwards and small.
Reckon we need to start to start focusing on Lingstone's successor and find a key back, and a young ruck too (though Sabrina has been doing well so far this year)

I think most of us would feel the same. One thing was clear yesterday between us and hawks was talent.
Because we rarely are down the bottom, our picks either get traded or most of the talents have gone. Taking a step backwards to go forwards may be what we need to do.

We've kinda wasted too long even when we were... okay, we were always blue collar- hard working, contested team. But the skills coming from the generation now, is something we need.

Speed. Elite kicking skills and IQ is something we desperately need. Some goal sense forwards would be nice too. Tall forwards and small.
Reckon we need to start to start focusing on Lingstone's successor and find a key back, and a young ruck too (though Sabrina has been doing well so far this year)
Yeah there's a stack of athletic tall/key forwards in this draft who will be available anywhere from the later stages of the Top 10 through to the second round, so definitely can fill a need there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I've made a list of info I've found of players contracts.
I assume the draftees from 2023 were just given a 12 month contract? The 2 year contracts start this year I assume? Pie 4 Life

I didn't include the train ons or the injury replacement players in this list, as we'll see what happens at the end of the year with their spots. I'm not convinced Sheridan even comes back either.

Imogen Barnett - 2024
Muireen Atkinson (Rookie) - 2024? Not sure of this one.
Stacey Livingstone - 2024
Erica Fowler - 2024
Sarah Sansonetti - 2024
Georgia Clark - 2024
Eleri Morris - 2024
Lauren Brazale - 2024
Lucy Cronin - 2024
Charlotte Blair - 2024
Amber Schutte - 2024
Aisling Sheridah - 2024

Sabrina Frederick - 2025
Annie Lee- 2025
Alana Porter - 2025
Charlotte Taylor - 2025
Grace Campbell - 2025
Nell Morris Dalton - 2025
Selena Karlson - 2025
Mikayla Hyde - 2025
Kalinda Howarth - 2025

Eliza James - 2026
Brianna Davey - 2026
Sarah Rowe - 2026
Ruby Schleicher - 2026
Lauren Butler - 2026
Mikayla Cann - 2026
Tarni White - 2026

Jordyn Allen - 2027
Britt Bonnici - 2027

we got picks 8,9 and 32 from the draft...and a couple of recycled players like we normally do.... a practice that hasnt really delivered much, although I'm a very casual onlooker.
tbf, pick 8 and 9 was our 1st high picks we have had in years. And one of those players is in the team.

we got picks 8,9 and 32 from the draft...and a couple of recycled players like we normally do.... a practice that hasnt really delivered much, although I'm a very casual onlooker.
It kind of starts this year.

Up until now, state based drafting. So literally the best player in the draft could go at 18.

Very very hard to entice talent from interstate because the $$ isn’t enough to move (semi professional) and no way (legally) to pay extra outside what is allowed.
2 year contracts…meaning no way to offer security.

….so this is the first year of improving rules around fairness.

As much as I hate to say this….its a good year to go winless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy List build: Draft, trade 2024-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back