qwertyboy

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton FC, Detroit Pistons.
Just came accross my mind today that Liverpool are a very similar club to Essendon. We are very rich in history however not of late. We are both very stable clubs and have big supporter bases with alot of money, facilties and the like.

We also have won the most silverware out of both of our competitions. We are definetely one of the big 4 clubs in the AFL along with Collingwood and Carlton and we both have never really had long periods with out success.

Would like to hear others thoughts. but to me I think the similarities speak for them selves.

I don't think you can draw a straight parallel with any EPL club.

There's the success aspect which has us parallel with Man United and Liverpool. There's a sense of being run in an old-school and local way similar to Arsenal. There's a lot of family tradition which is again similar to Arsenal (the Hill-Woods and the Bracewell-Smiths are Arsenal's equivalent of the Evanses, the Watsons, the Fletchers etc., except in the ownership stakes rather than players in the case of the last two Essendon examples).

It's easy to cast us as one particular team, but in reality it's a combination.

We're more like Arsenal than anyone else ... we play an attacking brand of football but haven't won any silverware in ages. We also signed a gun midfielder from a far far superior team on the cheap (Prismall->Fabregas).

Prismall's not better than Ablett, Bartel, Selwood and Corey combined.

no hyperbole

much homo

DO NOT... compare Essendon and Liverpool, that is a disgusting comparison.
*spits*

Chelsea?

Adidas and Samsung sponsorships :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DO NOT... compare Essendon and Liverpool, that is a disgusting comparison.
*spits*

Chelsea?

Adidas and Samsung sponsorships :D

Yeah, but who is the up and coming Chelsea star to mirror Hurley.

Its gotta be Wigan.

A young manager.

James Mccarthy mirrors Hurley.

Attractive style.

Brilliant one week, average the next.

Both defeated teams that were on undefeated runs (Chelsea, St K)

We also signed a gun midfielder from a far far superior team on the cheap (Prismall->Fabregas).

Oh dear, this is embarrassing.

Firstly, Arsenal were a better team (in the midst of a historic undefeated EPL premiership crown, not runners up like barca - Arsenal also went further in Europe too) when they signed Fabregas. Far far superior Arsenal I should think.

Second you are comparing a pretty good player yet to really prove himself to one who is the best player in his league? Really?

Just came accross my mind today that Liverpool are a very similar club to Essendon. We are very rich in history however not of late. We are both very stable clubs and have big supporter bases with alot of money, facilties and the like.

We also have won the most silverware out of both of our competitions. We are definetely one of the big 4 clubs in the AFL along with Collingwood and Carlton and we both have never really had long periods with out success.

Would like to hear others thoughts. but to me I think the similarities speak for them selves.

United have won more FA Cups, equal on league titles.

We're more like Arsenal than anyone else ... we play an attacking brand of football but haven't won any silverware in ages. We also signed a gun midfielder from a far far superior team on the cheap (Prismall->Fabregas).

Prismall is a solid B grader whilst Fabregas is clearly the best player in his competition...no comparison.

different styles of play, essendon much better financially, although both very successful - DaSawx dont mean to argue but uve omitted all european cups league cups etc. and essendon are on the up - opposite of liverpool

Oh dear, this is embarrassing.

Firstly, Arsenal were a better team (in the midst of a historic undefeated EPL premiership crown, not runners up like barca - Arsenal also went further in Europe too) when they signed Fabregas. Far far superior Arsenal I should think.

Second you are comparing a pretty good player yet to really prove himself to one who is the best player in his league? Really?
57640743.jpg.10972.0_display_image.jpg

Still hurting is it?

ps: congrats on picking up the sarcasm in the Prismall pun. Clearly a gun player isn't one who plays half a season half-prep'd from a knee injury.

Actually Liverpool are more similar to Carlton.

Liverpool are a 2 man team (Gerrard and Torres) much like Carlton up until this year (Judd and Fevola).

Both sets of fans immortalise their 2 "gods", wanking furiously over them hoping one day they will deliver the drought breaking premiership.

It's fitting as I view Liverpool similar to the way I view Carlton.:D

Actually Liverpool are more similar to Carlton.

Liverpool are a 2 man team (Gerrard and Torres) much like Carlton up until this year (Judd and Fevola).

Both sets of fans immortalise their 2 "gods", wanking furiously over them hoping one day they will deliver the drought breaking premiership.

It's fitting as I view Liverpool similar to the way I view Carlton.:D

Absolutely true, especially the 3rd bit;)

Would much rather be like Arsenal then Liverpool. Aren't Liverpool in some sort of financial troubles???

English Football is a snoozefest.

:D

Yeah, I enjoy the talk about it, the stats and everything but when a game is on I cannot keep my eyes open. Used to such an awesome fast paced sport. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Liverpool Similar to Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back