Lloyd out

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/bombers-lose-lloyd/2007/05/03/1177788312079.html

Bombers lose Lloyd to hamstring injury

Jake Niall and Rohan Connolly | May 4, 2007

ESSENDON skipper Matthew Lloyd has injured a hamstring and will miss tomorrow's game against Hawthorn.

Club sources last night confirmed that Lloyd had strained the same left hamstring that kept him out of the last 19 games of 2006.

While scans were done yesterday and the injury was still being assessed, the expectation was that the hamstring problem was relatively minor, but it is still likely to keep him out for at least two matches.

Lloyd's history of having had major surgery to the hamstring in his left leg — he had an operation to repair the hamstring he tore off the bone in round three last season — means the Bombers will be conservative with their 29-year-old captain.

The club still hopes that it will prove less severe than a grade-one tear — which usually takes two to three weeks to heal — and might only be categorised as soreness.

Lloyd was last night named at full-forward, but will be replaced by Courtney Johns, who is named on the interchange bench.

It is unclear precisely when Lloyd hurt the hamstring. He took a severely corked thigh into the Anzac Day match which required treatment in a hyperbaric chamber. Although his movement was somewhat restricted, he still managed to boot three goals.

One of the Bombers' emergencies — Jobe Watson, Bachar Houli or Sam Lonergan — will come into the team. Watson and Kepler Bradley had been dropped from the team, with experienced midfielder Jason Johnson named to play his first senior game this season.

Johnson, who had a pre-season toe injury, has been in outstanding form for Bendigo Bombers in the VFL since his return. Defender Andrew Welsh returns from a hamstring strain, as does important speedster Jason Winderlich.

Hawthorn regained its own big name, with captain Richie Vandenberg recovering from a hamstring strain he aggravated on the eve of the season, and key-position player Trent Croad returning from a stress reaction in the foot.

The Hawks omitted Josh Thurgood and Xavier Ellis. Joel Smith, who was also given a chance of playing his first game of the season, will line up for Box Hill in the VFL.

Hawthorn football manager Mark Evans said last night Croad and Vandenberg were set to go and did not represent a selection risk despite their lack of match fitness.

"Trent's had a terrific summer so he'll be fine coming straight back in, and Richie, particularly in the last two to three weeks, has had almost game-like training patterns, so he's been put through his paces," Evans said.

Smokes and mirrors?

Bring it on!!!!

My pre-match nerves are getting at me. This morning I found myself sparring at myself in the mirror :mad:

I will proudly wear my new Hawks shirt at Coolie bowls this afternoon.

002ShadforthGaryCBC.jpg

brown would have flattened him in the first 5min anyways so won't make much of a difference :cool:

Campbell Brown will have to change his whole gameplan. It will be "Get the footy and get a kick", rather than:

1. Smash Lloyd
2. Smash Lloyd
3. Smash Lloyd

LH86

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at the moment...agreed...although Im willing to give him time...has the body to hold a key fort, pity he has been hammered by injuries...He will develop...

at the moment...agreed...although Im willing to give him time...has the body to hold a key fort, pity he has been hammered by injuries...He will develop...

For sure... not too many teams would say no to a 100kg power forward on their list. Just needs to string some games together.... might be a good thing for the bombers with Lloyd out for a couple of weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back