Lloyd vs Fevola

Who was better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in his heyday Lloyd was the most important player at Essendon & that includes Hirdy, the worshiping bow & the slow Lloydy-Lloydy Chant was as big & loud as the Collingwood chant is these days. Absolute Fffing Legend of our club.

This isn't about potential. Its not like they are 2 young rookies. Lloyd wins by miles

Why do people keep saying this? Fact is, he couldn't. Let's deal with reality rather than ifs, buts and maybes. Lloyd was the superior to Fevola in every aspect of the game.

quoted for absolute truth

In their best years they were comparable but Lloyd had a lot more years at a high level. In fact I think I reckon its going to be a long time before anyone kicks more goals than him again (Franklin is probably the only one in this current generation I can see passing him and even then only if he plays into his 30's). Fevola was a spectacular player at his best though, no doubt about it. I love this comparison because these 2 were probably the last of the 'classical full forwards'. The modern forwards coming through don't tend to stay at the one position and tend to rotate through CHF and up the ground a lot more.

I think both careers ended somewhat prematurely. Lloyd I'm pretty sure had Hird been the coach would probably have played another year or 2 (maybe even have snagged his 1000th goal perhaps). Fevola obviously put himself out of the game with his antics.

Anyway Lloyd's consistent high level wins out for me.

In their best years they were comparable but Lloyd had a lot more years at a high level. In fact I think I reckon its going to be a long time before anyone kicks more goals than him again (Franklin is probably the only one in this current generation I can see passing him and even then only if he plays into his 30's). Fevola was a spectacular player at his best though, no doubt about it. I love this comparison because these 2 were probably the last of the 'classical full forwards'. The modern forwards coming through don't tend to stay at the one position and tend to rotate through CHF and up the ground a lot more.

I think both careers ended somewhat prematurely. Lloyd I'm pretty sure had Hird been the coach would probably have played another year or 2 (maybe even have snagged his 1000th goal perhaps). Fevola obviously put himself out of the game with his antics.

Anyway Lloyd's consistent high level wins out for me.

Franklin won't pass him on the goals tally, because he is not a FF and he doesn't play out of the goal square like Lloyd does. Franklin will pass him as a player though.

Franklin won't pass him on the goals tally, because he is not a FF and he doesn't play out of the goal square like Lloyd does. Franklin will pass him as a player though.

Maybe. But when Lloyd was at the stage of his career that Buddy is at now, he was definitely in front. He slowed up really badly after he reached the middle of his career. I don't think that will happen to buddy though, I hope it doesn't also because he is awesome to watch,

Maybe. But when Lloyd was at the stage of his career that Buddy is at now, he was definitely in front. He slowed up really badly after he reached the middle of his career. I don't think that will happen to buddy though, I hope it doesn't also because he is awesome to watch,

I don't think he was. Buddy was the best player in the comp in 2008, top 10 in the comp in 2010, and top 5 in the comp in 2011. I would say it would be very, very close between them. Lloyd did slow down a lot towards the end of his career, and if he didn't, he probably would have kicked 1100 goals. If Lance Franklin has the same kind of career as Lloyd, I wouldn't be unhappy. Lloyd was probably around the 40th to 50th greatest player to ever play the game. I hope Franklin can go on to be better though, because he has all the talent in the world. We will have to wait and see.

Lloyd definitely had a better career than Fevola, by a mile.

A more interesting comparision would be Lloyd v Nick Riewoldt. Riewoldt 5xBF, 4xAA, MVP winner. Lloyd 5xAA, 3xColeman medalist. Both champions, who carried their sides at different times. In fact, I think I might start a poll on that.

Ain't that the truth. Fev's last three seasons at Carlton, particularly taking into account how much harder it has become for forwards in the last 4-5 years, were as good as anything Lloyd displayed.

If Fev had kept his nose clean, he could have finished his career with close to 1000 goals, but at the end of the day he was unable to stay out of trouble/get his head right, so we will only be able to speculate about what might have been.

Overall, Lloyd was more of a 'pure' footballer than Fev, but Fev was the more exciting player to watch.

Hmm I don't know, I didn't see Fev kicked too many back-heeled goals haha ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm I don't know, I didn't see Fev kicked too many back-heeled goals haha ;)

Well he kicked a couple backwards over his head I think ;)

Franklin won't pass him on the goals tally, because he is not a FF and he doesn't play out of the goal square like Lloyd does.

out of interest, can you elaborate a little further on this observation. i only ask because i believe that because of the rules & the evolution of the game, a positional difference b/w players is not as an important factor as it once was.

Franklin will pass him as a player though.

player, yes. footballer, well thats a discussion for another thread/time.

It's the same excuse for every person who wants to hold up a recent forward against Lloyd and claim superiority. "Lloyd played closer to home, therefore kicked more goals and as such, goal tallies are not relevant in comparing them as players....."

Absolute bollocks. Firstly, Lloyd frequently played at and around the 50m arc during his career. He was a noted accurate goal kicker at distance, regularly converting from the 45 - 55m range. Of course he played more frequently 'out of the goal square' though. Why wouldn't you play him there - place your most dangerous offensive weapon where he is likely to do the most damage; it's not rocket science.

Secondly, the whole "he's a CHF, not a FF" argument is BF junk. The two positions effectively became one (Key forward, or power forward if you want) over the last decade or so when use of the interchange, third talls, presses and so on became more prevalent. Hell, Lloyd himself spent more time on a wing than I have ever seen previously in the last year or two of his career.

As a side note, I'm starting to agree with a few rumblings I've seen lately, and that is that two players in particular, Franklin and Rioli are vastly over rated.

Franklin, who is this olympian-like athlete who "burst onto the scene" and "is the games greatest ever athlete" and other such related rhetoric just comepleted his seventh season, and kicked over 80 goals for the second time. Lloyd had done it three times, and his first season was a five game nothing season.

Franklin has, to date, had one outstanding season; and a couple of very good seasons.

Now thats not to say I don't rate Franklin as a player. Without really putting too much thought into it I'd likely say that he'd be in the top five players in the game today. With that in mind, I'd add that, not only is Franklin not the equal of Lloyd, he'll fall a fair way short of him as a player when the journey is done.

Franklin has, to date, had one outstanding season; and a couple of very good seasons.

Now thats not to say I don't rate Franklin as a player. Without really putting too much thought into it I'd likely say that he'd be in the top five players in the game today. With that in mind, I'd add that, not only is Franklin not the equal of Lloyd, he'll fall a fair way short of him as a player when the journey is done.

Franklin plays CHF, Lloyd FF. Franklin has had 2 outstanding seasons & 1 very good one that have been rewarded with 3 All Australians, a best & fairest in a premiership year and 2 Coleman medals. He is only 24. Lloyd had 5 All Australians and 3 Coleman medals. Lloyd never even won a B&F. He was never the best player at his club, let alone the comp. Franklin will pass Lloyds achievements and accolades by 26/27 mate if he continues his current trend. Sorry.

EDIT: If Lance Franklin continues his current for until 30, he will end up with as many goals as Lloyd. Yet Franklin plays further up the ground, racks up more possessions and plays in the days of lower scoring games. There will be no real competition between them, if Franklin keeps up his current output for another few years.

I'm sorry mate, but I can't take you seriously when discussing Lance Franklin after you said Jobe Watson is a better player than Lance Franklin.

Franklin plays CHF, Lloyd FF. Franklin has had 2 outstanding seasons & 1 very good one that have been rewarded with 3 All Australians, a best & fairest in a premiership year and 2 Coleman medals. He is only 24. Lloyd had 5 All Australians and 3 Coleman medals. Lloyd never even won a B&F. He was never the best player at his club, let alone the comp. Franklin will pass Lloyds achievements and accolades by 26/27 mate if he continues his current trend. Sorry.

Well achievements are a fairly black and white thing, you either have them or don't.

If Franklin gets another flag, another three AA's or another two Colemans than he would have surpassed Lloyd in one or more of those awards. Of the three, I think the flag is the likeliest to occur.

EDIT: If Lance Franklin continues his current for until 30, he will end up with as many goals as Lloyd. Yet Franklins plays further up the ground, racks up more possessions and plays in the days of lower scoring games. There will be no real competition between them, if Franklin keeps up his current output for another few years.

You can't have it both ways mate. You can't point to his higher possession count (which suprisingly, is only 1.7 a game higher than Lloyd), when todays game is played with a higher possession number, and then point to the lower scoring games.

And as for goal output. Quick sums says that Franklin would have to kick, what, 75-ish goals a year without fail for the next seven years to catch Lloyd. Considering he has achieved this twice and twice only in a seven year career - he's going to have to lift his output considerably to do that.

I'm sorry mate, but I can't take you seriously when discussing Lance Franklin after you said Jobe Watson is a better player than Lance Franklin.

Six or so months ago, I started thinking, geez maybe I got that one wrong. But after looking at Franklin's actual output, I think I might have to start adding to the list of players that are actually better than Buddy.

Six or so months ago, I started thinking, geez maybe I got that one wrong. But after looking at Franklin's actual output, I think I might have to start adding to the list of players that are actually better than Buddy.

I'm sorry mate, you make no sense. Franklin just came off a year that was as good as any forward in recent history. 18 touches a game and 82 goals from 22 games, with 20 Brownlow votes from 19 H&A games. He is the only forward in the last 50 years to rack up two seasons of 20 Brownlow votes by 25. His acievements so far means he is on track to be regarded as one of the greatest to ever play. Of course, there is plenty to happen between now and then. But if he continues his current form, he will blow Lloyd out of the water.

You have proven you are completely unreasonable with the Watson > Franklin comment in the past, and this is much of the same. You can think what you want of course, but there are not to many who would agree. Anyway, this conversation is over from my end. Lets not derail this thread.

If not for his hammy injury, Lloyd would have easily made it to 1000 and would possibly still be playing. He was never really the same after that, but still managed a couple of 60+ goal seasons.

Being a cocky and selfish person by nature helped make Fev a very dangerous full-forward. Those very same qualities probably contributed to his downfall. He was fun to watch, but at 2 different clubs, his bad eventually outweighed his good.

I'm sorry mate, you make no sense. Franklin just came off a year that was as good as any forward in recent history. 18 touches a game and 82 goals from 22 games, with 20 Brownlow votes from 19 H&A games. He is the only forward in the last 50 years to rack up two seasons of 20 Brownlow votes by 25. His acievements so far means he is on track to be regarded as one of the greatest to ever play. Of course, there is plenty to happen between now and then. But if he continues his current form, he will blow Lloyd out of the water.

Sorry, but you fail.

Buddy’s first 7 seasons
142 games, 451 goals (average 3.2), disposals 14.7, marks 5.3, brownlow votes 65

Lloydy’s first 7 seasons
127 games, 459 goals (average 3.6), disposals 13.7, marks 6.6, brownlow votes 53

As you can see, he’s far from blowing Lloyd out of the water. After Ablett, Franklin is probably the best player in the AFL right now and is well on his way to 1000+ goal career, but as Lloyd can attest, all it takes is a couple of nasty injuries to screw things up.

Sorry, but you fail.

Buddy’s first 7 seasons
142 games, 451 goals (average 3.2), disposals 14.7, marks 5.3, brownlow votes 65

Lloydy’s first 7 seasons
127 games, 459 goals (average 3.6), disposals 13.7, marks 6.6, brownlow votes 53

As you can see, he’s far from blowing Lloyd out of the water. After Ablett, Franklin is probably the best player in the AFL right now and is well on his way to 1000+ goal career, but as Lloyd can attest, all it takes is a couple of nasty injuries to screw things up.

I made the statement "form right now", not form from 7 years ago. Franklin took 2 years to come on and his first two seasons were very average. Since 2007, he is averaging about 80 goals a season and nearly 17 possessions a game as a roaming HFF/CHF/FF. If he continues that for a few more years, and racks up a few more All Australians and Coleman medals, then Franklin will have Lloyds career accolades covered quite easily by the tender age of 27.

And yes, of course it's a big if, as injuries can derail the careers of even the best of players. But if injury doesn't get him, he will mow down Lloyd within 3 years with the kind of form he has showed since 2007.

Anyway changing the topic.

I made the statement "form right now", not form from 7 years ago. Franklin took 2 years to come on and his first two seasons were very average. Since 2007, he is averaging about 80 goals a season and nearly 17 possessions a game as a roaming HFF/CHF/FF. If he continues that for a few more years, and racks up a few more All Australians and Coleman medals, then Franklin will have Lloyds career accolades covered quite easily by the tender age of 27.

And yes, of course it's a big if, as injuries can derail the careers of even the best of players. But if injury doesn't get him, he will mow down Lloyd within 3 years with the kind of form he has showed since 2007.

Anyway changing the topic.

Ok then, we'll ignore their first 2 years. Buddy 79.8 goals a year (avg 3.7), Lloyd 86.8 (avg 3.9). Point once more proven, Franklin is tracking very similarly to what Lloyd was at the same period in his career. In fact Lloyd was a whole year younger when he debuted, so technically was well ahead of Buddy. And lets be frank, Buddy's 2009 and 2010 were good, but nothing to write home about. 2008 and 2011 are a different story entirely.

Back on topic, Lloyd v Fev...discuss...

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd vs Fevola

Back