Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL) 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
and can someone make a geelong cricket one for local leagues
cheers
& go anglesea;)[/quote]

I agree; we are long overdue for a GCA forum.

did anyone go out to Grovedale - What is going on with Joeys as inconsistent a month as you could see!!!!

Newtown v Colac maust have been a cracker too

St Marys now showing why we recvd so much hype during the pre-season. Dominated Bell Park from start to finish.

I can't recall a better performance from them, just on fire.

West lost to Bell Park in driving rain and wind in the early rounds by 4 goals, with their size and players of experience in finals from different regions they will be an even beater team in the dry conditions of September

Bell Park doesn't play small grounds well, but proved last year they can burn teams apart on the wider expanses on Skilled Stadium.

West play their best footy on in dry conditions on better grounds, so again, Skilled Stadium in September will play into their hands.

Bell Park doesn't play small grounds well, but proved last year they can burn teams apart on the wider expanses on Skilled Stadium.

West play their best footy on in dry conditions on better grounds, so again, Skilled Stadium in September will play into their hands.

West have lost three games this season and two have been on the two worst Saturdays for the season weather-wise. If they can knock over Joeys this week and then Grovey the following; they will be 9-3 when they tackle Bell Park and chock full of confidence. Still have some injuries (like everyone) but managing them well and their young blokes led by Josh Sells and backline are on fire at present. Couple of good wins in the next few weeks will see them play a part in Sept I would think.

tickets at ticketech for the st albans v north shore game this week. lol :thumbsdown:

St Albans get back to back wins for the first time in years.

Probably not as bad as their record suggests I don't think. Had a horror run with injuries. I think they are on track for the future and should again substantially improve next season. When you think where they were a couple of years ago, they are doing well.

North Shore on the other hand.... No wins amongst three grades and probably a winless season for all three. Very hard times ahead.

st albans havn't been going that bad your right just havn't been able to run out games, been in touch with most sides at 3QT just seem to get ran over most weeks and injuries dont help. ross panther has been a big loss up forward hasn't played a senior game this year i don't think. broke down again last thursday night. would of played he's first game against lara. sta will beat north shore by 15 goals if they play the way they did out at the snake pit lat week

Still hard to believe that proud North Shore are where they are at, that St Albans and Lara - strong tough clubs of the past are down, just goes to show that the wheel turns for every one and hopefully the likes of West, Gdale & Lpold will get a fairdinkum crack at some glory sooner rather than later.

Agreed, they have been unequalled, only blemish was 2003 when they finished equal bottom however rebounded to end up top of ladder in 04 & 05, maybe they "tanked" in 03!

I heard the north shore president say today vs st albans that this year will be the 1st time since the 1960's that they havn't had one of either the u/18's, reserves or seniors playing finals.
fair record!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, i heard him say that as well, lets be honest everyone has wanted Nth Shore to be like this, and it's only a matter of time until another side hit's rock bottom, and as i said it goes in cycles it will only be a matter of time and they'll be back on top and say.............Sth Barwon will be down, it's funny how $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ comes into it. NO LOYALTY IN FOOTBALL ANYMORE. And it's shit, when i was playing you were lucky to get a beer after the game let alone $.

Yep. North Shore will recruit in the off season and will bring in 4 -6 good players, who will then bring in a few more.

From what i have gathered, The N.S footy club are under no illusions that they to be competitive next year, or the spiral will get even worse.

Yep. North Shore will recruit in the off season and will bring in 4 -6 good players, who will then bring in a few more.

From what i have gathered, The N.S footy club are under no illusions that they to be competitive next year, or the spiral will get even worse.
North Shore will play finals next year, while them poker machines are ticking over and there paying out next to nothing this year there gunna load up over the summer and buy there way back on track.

Also i heard a few people looking for a local cricket forum, i found a GCA & BPCA one at .http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55646

North Shore will play finals next year, while them poker machines are ticking over and there paying out next to nothing this year there gunna load up over the summer and buy there way back on track.

Also i heard a few people looking for a local cricket forum, i found a GCA & BPCA one at .http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55646

Pokies have been there for sometime and didn't seem to help this year.

On a seperate note, anyone care to comment on the knobjockeys that umpire reserve games for Joeys and Lpold? Got to be careful here as we appreciate them making the effort in the absence of registered umps but fairdinkum finals footy is up for grabs and although not senior grade the players are doing their best deserve fair impartial decsion making!!

yeah thats true i guess but i don't think they expected the huge about of there top players to leave as they did. I'd be suprised if they have another year next year like this one

I hear from a usually reliable source that the powers that be at West Saints are not impressed with their teams performance this year. For all the money they have spent there is a feeling they should be doing better. From what i can gather nothing short of a finals appearence for them will save the coach Chris Gilham. Probably a fair call i would have thought there is a big gap between their best and worse when they feel their best is good enough to challenge for the flag.
I also heard from a good source that the money they've payed out is in the range of $250,000 for this season alone, there wouldn't be a team in geelong close to that. they'd be wanting finals at the VERY least.

I didn't help that their coach didn't want to coach their anymore. THey then had two other coaches lined up, both seemed keen but and both decided they weren't keen by november. Left shore without a coach in November, and a swag of players that had gone.

From what i know, they were hoping to get a big name coach from melbourne who would in turn bring 5 -6 good players with him. THey could then use his rep to recruit well within the region.

I also heard from a good source that the money they've payed out is in the range of $250,000 for this season alone, there wouldn't be a team in geelong close to that. they'd be wanting finals at the VERY least.

I can tell you that this figure is laughable. A VFL club could not sustain that let alone a club that has come from a struggling background. The club has their half a dozen or so stars that would be looked after, just like any club but it is the main crop of players who up until last week have been playing good football who have seen them threaten for finals and would only be on avergae wages I would think. $250,000 is a joke. I'm not sure who told you but they are having a laugh with you. As far as Gilham goes also, let's not forget it's only his second year at the helm and before he got there, they finished bottom three. He has largely been responsible for most of the recruiting along with a few others and has done a great job at that. I suppose if the axe is hanging above his head then perhaps it is also above the head of Mensch, Clark, Normington & Mapleson; all second year coaches whose teams failed to make the finals last year.

I can tell you that this figure is laughable. A VFL club could not sustain that let alone a club that has come from a struggling background. The club has their half a dozen or so stars that would be looked after, just like any club but it is the main crop of players who up until last week have been playing good football who have seen them threaten for finals and would only be on avergae wages I would think. $250,000 is a joke. I'm not sure who told you but they are having a laugh with you. As far as Gilham goes also, let's not forget it's only his second year at the helm and before he got there, they finished bottom three. He has largely been responsible for most of the recruiting along with a few others and has done a great job at that. I suppose if the axe is hanging above his head then perhaps it is also above the head of Mensch, Clark, Normington & Mapleson; all second year coaches whose teams failed to make the finals last year.
yeah look i think your prob right i snuffed at it when i was told, but the person who told me is a committee member from a bottom 4 club and there paying out around $100,000 and said they aren't even in the same ball park as west saints.
It sounds laughable but i guess its around $13000 a game, i would think ricco and the carsons would be well over $1000 a game plus others would be around that.

yeah look i think your prob right i snuffed at it when i was told, but the person who told me is a committee member from a bottom 4 club and there paying out around $100,000 and said they aren't even in the same ball park as west saints.
It sounds laughable but i guess its around $13000 a game, i would think ricco and the carsons would be well over $1000 a game plus others would be around that.

I think you would find Ricco would be on well under the odds. His motivation would have been to head back to his former club after his AFL career was finished and finish his football days by giving something back. Dare I say, a similar thing to what Tony Brown would have done. As far as the others go, I'm not too sure but I would think that most good clubs' best players would be very, very well looked after. I mean take a look at say Bell Park (Garth, Batchelor, Sheringham); South Barwon (Corrigan, Corrigan), etc, etc. The list goes on. The reality of GFL football is that with no salary cap, good players will continue to get good money. Clubs can only spend what they can afford. If a St Marys, GWSP or Bell Park spend $100,000 each year and a St Albans or North Shore spend $60,000 that is not the more affluent clubs fault; that is reality. No salary cap equals spend what you can and what you can afford on making your team a better one.

But these clubs have spent nowhere near as much as West Saints and their expectations are way lower. So i dont think axes would be hanging above their heads as much as Gilhams.

I hear from a usually reliable source that the powers that be at West Saints are not impressed with their teams performance this year. For all the money they have spent there is a feeling they should be doing better. From what i can gather nothing short of a finals appearence for them will save the coach Chris Gilham. Probably a fair call i would have thought there is a big gap between their best and worse when they feel their best is good enough to challenge for the flag.
All this talk about Gilham as coach, and the player payments at West is absolutely misinformed rubbish. West had 1 bad game on the weekend and people are jumping all over them. Fact is, if they beat Grovedale this week they could jump to 3rd on the ladder as other top sides play each other. Joeys talked it up that they won without Rudd and Bauer. Lets not overlook West had Jack, Jago, Shannon, Cheep, Hannan all missing from best 18.
Gilham has the respect of everybody at the club for what he has done. More importantly, he has the complete respect of the senior playing group. That cant be said about a number of GFL clubs. Without a doubt he would be in top 3 caches in the league.
In regards to player payments people need to take a reality check. No local club could afford to spend the 250k that has been mentioned. The likes of Ricco, carsons, Faulkner, Saunders, Chambers, Wilde are on very little compared to what they could get. Every recruit West have picked up has had a pre-exisitng tie to the club or Gilham. If people knew the real figures these boys get you would be surprised. West would still not be in the 3 top spenders in the league.
And the one thing i can guarantee about West and Gilham is that you would never have supporters texting the editor in the addy, saying he should be sacked. There are 2 local clubs(1 GFL) that have had that happen already this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back